Disk Defragmenter

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JakeS
    • Jul 2005

As we all know bigger HDD need less defrag, I've alway had 750GB hdd but I've removed those now due to being full, bigger the HDD less defragment is needed, I'm currently running one of the smallest HDD available: 300GB I drag it.. when their really is nothing else to do as I can't be bothered to defrag.

Comment

• simsim
      • Nov 2005
      • 3.6.x

What people here mean by "zero the hard drive"? Do you mean formatting or something else?
      You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by simsim
        What people here mean by "zero the hard drive"? Do you mean formatting or something else?
        Formatting may or may not delete the contents. Normally, it just deletes the index files so the OS can't do lookups on the files it stores. deleting files works the same way. This is primarily how data recovery works. That software ignores the absence of the index files on the drive and builds its own, this allows you to recreate them and pull the information off. The OS just sees it as empty space though and overwrites it when you save something new.

However there are applications that go through and make sure every bit is set to 0 and the drive is completely empty. Hence, zero the drive.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Gladius
          • Dec 2002
          • 3.8.x

Got links to any such free apps? I'll need to zero a drive before I can sell it, so it'd come in handy.
          Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Might be able to find something here:

I use:

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Gladius
              • Dec 2002
              • 3.8.x

Thanks.
              Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

Comment

• MRGTB
                • May 2005

I run a defrag about once a week, somtimes more after I do a backup

Comment

• Neal-UK
                  • Feb 2004

This program looks okay to wipe your disc, but i've not used it:

Anyone else know of any free but good hard drive clean up applications? I've found this for defragmenting:

Last edited by Neal-UK; Thu 17 May '07, 9:49pm.
                  [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

Comment

• Floris
                    • Dec 2001

I use a professional defrag tool for my drives once every 6 months.

Comment

• briangumble
                      • Feb 2004

What does defraging do? I do it a few times a year when I remember, but I forgot what it does.

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                        • Feb 2005
                        • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Neal-UK
                        This program looks okay to wipe your disc, but i've not used it:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/downloads...3&itemID=22920
                        Do not trust stuff like that... The best way is to zero your Hard Drive and most Drive Makers will have this in DOS mode, then install OS to smallest space space, after you overwrite free space with video and zero it again.

That will stop any software on or not on the market from recovering any usable information. This is only good for if you are going to sell your Hard Drive and it takes 36hours to complete a 100gigbyte Hard Drive.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by briangumble
                          What does defraging do? I do it a few times a year when I remember, but I forgot what it does.
                          Makes sure that each files is a contiguous block of code instead of in various unconnected blocks around the drive. As drives get smaller and faster and file systems get better at indexing, the value is worth less and less. Used to be essential on MFM and RLL drives and file systems like Fat 8/16/32.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• jasonlitka
                            • Mar 2006
                            • 4.0.x

I've been using PerfectDisk for the past 6 months or so. I run an offline defrag (system files, page file, MFT, etc.) on every reboot (adds ~5 seconds) and a file defrag every night at 3AM (which only takes about 60 seconds after the first run).

Contrary to what Wayne said, I noticed a substantial performance improvement, even on NTFS, from the original condition of my drives to the defragged condition. One thing worth mentioning though, is that once a program is running, there really isn't any difference. The improvement, for me, lies in startup times for large programs (and for the system itself).
                            Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

I guess I don't notice it because I never reboot. If a Windows Update happens that requires a reboot, the system reboots at 3 a.m. when I am sleeping and automatically reloads all the applications that were running when it shut down.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Floris
                                • Dec 2001

Originally posted by briangumble

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...