X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dean C
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.5.x

Broken RAID 1

Well, I got a new drive this morning and tried to install it in a spare SATA slot. Problem is, I have 2 drives set up currently in RAID1 where drive2 is a direct mirror of drive1. Anyway, I accidentally knocked the power cable out of drive1 and didn't notice. I booted up and it broke my raid so now I can only boot up by unplugging the power cable from drive1 again and booting off drive 2.

Does anyone know of any way I can rebuild/repair the RAID without formatting both drives and starting from scratch?
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer
  • JakeS
    • Jul 2005

Didn't anyone ever tell you not to be touching the inside of a machine while its running? I've lost 6IDE drives through forgetting to turn it off (750Gb, 500Gb,160GB, 100GB, 80GB, 10GB)

Comment

• Dean C
      • Mar 2002
      • 3.5.x

It wasn't running mate. It was all turned off

Comment

• JakeS
        • Jul 2005

Oh, well knocking cables out while its not running shouldn't make much of a difference, did you plug it back in?

Comment

• Dean C
          • Mar 2002
          • 3.5.x

Yep when I plugged it back in it wouldn't boot into windows, gave an error about a missing .sys file nvradbus or something like that.

Comment

• JakeS
            • Jul 2005

Is it possible your bios got changed in some way and trying to boot into the other HDD? I've been tricked before when its said NTFS loader missing and booted into bootable windows, everything their, booted into windows installer, nothing wrong with installation, booted into bios, the bios boot order had somehow changed so it was trying to boot into my printer .

Comment

• filburt1
              • Feb 2002

Does your RAID controller offer a way of rebuilding the array? I would imagine RAID 1 would be ridiculously easy to rebuild and therefore possibly integrated into the controller's own software as it's effectively just a straight data copy.

RAID 0, on the other hand = you screwed.
              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Dean C
                • Mar 2002
                • 3.5.x

Well i've managed to boot back up into windows with both drives up and running but the RAID config is marking both disks as "DEGRADED" when i boot up. My raid controller is nvraid (nForce4 chipset). This is what I get in the nvraidman.exe utility. See attached screenshot not sure where to go from here. My drive is split up into two partitions so I technically have 4 drives showing up in windows now
                Attached Files

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...