Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeffinj
    • Apr 2006

Uploading mp3s into forum legal or not?

I was wondering if uploading mp3s into a players such as XEON Mp3 (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=129641) for members to listen is legal or not? What if its not in downloadable format and you can only listen to it? If its illegal, then how does youtube handle these issues?
    www.christianforumsite.com
    sigpic
  • filburt1
    • Feb 2002

An MP3 is not illegal. Only the content contained within it might be if it violates another's intellectual copyright and is not under fair use.

YouTube removes copyrighted material upon request of the copyright holder.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• jeffinj
      • Apr 2006

Thanks filburt. Is there a way we could find if a particular song is sharable over the internet through these players. Also for every song i upload, do you think I might have to contact the company and ask them if i could share them like this?
      sigpic

Comment

• bplinson
        • Mar 2004
        • 6.X

If you were in the USA it would be illegal - http://blog.wired.com/music/2007/03/...yright_ro.html

But since you are in Australia I do not know. You may want to check your governments laws before you do this or you could possibly be facing a heavy fine.

Also, are you hosting you website on a server in the US or some other country? If so then the laws of that country could also come into play.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jeffinj
          Thanks filburt. Is there a way we could find if a particular song is sharable over the internet through these players. Also for every song i upload, do you think I might have to contact the company and ask them if i could share them like this?
          You would have to write the licensed distributor of each song. You would also have to pay radio royalties which can range between $1.00 and $100.00 per song depending on how often you play it.

There are companies out there that make compilations and license them for broadcasts. They get the rights from the various artists and studios and then sub-license them to the broadcaster. This is how most radio stations get their music (and why they seem to play the same thing over and over again).

What you can do though is this.

Scan MySpace for new up and coming artists in the genre you are looking for. There are garage bands, indy bands and others who are small, self-produced and looking for exposure. Join their friend's list and send them an email asking if you can play a couple of songs on your websites music player. Many will probably say yes as the exposure is worth more than the hassle of selling self-made CDs. Just encourage your users to check the groups out and buy any of their music that they want.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• jeffinj
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            Scan MySpace for new up and coming artists in the genre you are looking for. There are garage bands, indy bands and others who are small, self-produced and looking for exposure. Join their friend's list and send them an email asking if you can play a couple of songs on your websites music player. Many will probably say yes as the exposure is worth more than the hassle of selling self-made CDs. Just encourage your users to check the groups out and buy any of their music that they want.
            Very clever. Thanks Wayne.
            sigpic

Comment

• TruthElixirX
              • Sep 2004
              • 3.6.x

Also, there is the podsafe music network. I believe there are some artists on there who will allow you to us their music however you want.

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

You could contact some of the indibands on virb.com - they have great music and some of their profiles really ask people to download and distribute it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...