• Jan 2006
    • 3.6.x

80 GB SATA II in this computer.
    500 GB SATA II in my new computer.

Comment

• filburt1
      • Feb 2002

Take your pick:
      • Desktop at 354 GB: 2x IDE (80 GB, 200 GB), 2x SATA (2x 37 GB)
      • Server at 1.05 TB: 2x IDE (80 GB, 500 GB), 1x USB (500 GB)
      • Laptop at 60 GB: 1x SATA
      • TiVo at 80 GB: 1x IDE
      • Xbox at 200 GB: 1x IDE
      • Mac at 20 GB: 1x IDE

Total for just the devices I use: 1.75 TB. Sounds like a lot, but in reality with hard drive prices the way they are, it's not much. The 500 GB external drive for my server was $55 after rebate/pricematch.
      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Cromulent
        • Oct 2005
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ---MAD---
        How the heck can you fill up that much space?! Unless your a gamer then thats different but even then, 700gb is A LOT.

My PC has a 40gb harddrive and its mostly empty (this PC is about 5 years old now).

MAD
        Try editing DV or HDV (Digital Video and High Definition Digital Video) and you will find that even 1TB is small.

I'll be getting another 2 750GB drives in the next couple of months to put in a RAID 0 array for video editing.

Comment

• SaN-DeeP
          • Dec 2003
          • 1.1.x

Both IDE and SATA
          TechArena - TechArena Community - Technology News - Tools Download - Tech Video - Gamer Guide - Hardware Review

Comment

• MRGTB
            • May 2005

SATA, I have 4 Seagate SATA HD's

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.8.x

Three - IDE and SATA
              All Maxtors..

Not including the two laptops..
              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• JakeS
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
                Three - IDE and SATA
                All Maxtors..

Not including the two laptops..
                I'm guessing you like maxtors? The new HDD I got is a Maxtor, but luckily it don't got any stickers or anything on it anymore

Its just purely the metal and the board and the bits it needs to work.
                Last edited by JakeS; Wed 2 May '07, 3:36pm.

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

I always liked Maxtors, they were pretty reliable for me (despite the stories from many others). But that was all IDE, I am for the time being only focussing on the better performing high reliable drives by Seagate where they actually say 'made to spin 24/7', unlike most consumer drives. Maybe it just makes me feel better - because sometimes I just don't believe the stories these companies tell hehe.

Comment

• JakeS
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Floris
                    I always liked Maxtors, they were pretty reliable for me (despite the stories from many others). But that was all IDE, I am for the time being only focussing on the better performing high reliable drives by Seagate where they actually say 'made to spin 24/7', unlike most consumer drives. Maybe it just makes me feel better - because sometimes I just don't believe the stories these companies tell hehe.
                    If a drive stops working for me its warranty time, I take all the stickers that I've known to "melt off" the drives, but I leave the warranty stickers, if they say anything I'll just tell them simply what's happened before, I had a machine have the paper caught in the fans once stopped the case fans from working and caused the computer to over heat and stop working.

And if a company won't do warranty then I just tell them to stick it and buy another drive from another company and never use the company that wont warranty me again.

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

I do not know how long the warrenty on the maxtor drives are. The seagates are 5 years. I use my drives a bit longer until they die of old age

Comment

• JakeS
                        • Jul 2005

I do not know how long the warrenty on the maxtor drives are. The seagates are 5 years. I use my drives a bit longer until they die of old age
                        The 300GB I just got hasn't got a very long one:

Warranty -

- New and Refurbished -
                        All New and refurbished products come with a 30 day warranty.

- B-Grade -
                        Any products purchased as B-grade are supplied with a 10 day warranty.

- Please Note -

I grabbed a Refurbished one.

Comment

• Floris
                          • Dec 2001

That's utterly short I am sure it will stay alive longer then 30 days before it dies. Unless you put it in and doesn't work directly. The only reason I am worried about dying drives is the amount of data on it is hard(er) to backup and restore. I do not wish to write 1,3tb of data in a few months to dvd drives not even hd-dvd or blu-ray ones.

Once 10.5 from osx comes out with time-machine feature I will probably pop in another hdd which will idle there as a backup drive.

I mean for 200 euro you get 750gb. Something I don't mind working for.

Comment

• JakeS
                            • Jul 2005

That's utterly short I am sure it will stay alive longer then 30 days before it dies. Unless you put it in and doesn't work directly. The only reason I am worried about dying drives is the amount of data on it is hard(er) to backup and restore. I do not wish to write 1,3tb of data in a few months to dvd drives not even hd-dvd or blu-ray ones.

Once 10.5 from osx comes out with time-machine feature I will probably pop in another hdd which will idle there as a backup drive.

I mean for 200 euro you get 750gb. Something I don't mind working for.
                            Wow you paid a lot for that, all of mine with 2 year warranty came for £60 all from underground OEM dealers.

I don't really worry about warranty's I've only ever had to call warranty once, all other stuff I could repair my self, so its not that much of a big deal.

Also why don't you use bootable back up's Microsoft one is a hell of a long time but the acronis one I use is much shorter time.

Comment

• Floris
                              • Dec 2001

Here's the thing:

I used an established store who respects the reasons behind OEM

You used an underground OEM dealer.

This and the service they provided, quick delivery and all was worth it. Especially for 750GB.

Comment

• TruthElixirX
                                • Sep 2004
                                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                                I am currently transferring my VHS collection to disk. I have about 300 tapes currently and at 5 GB or so per movie because I don't want to compress it as lose more quality. It adds up. That is about 1.5 terabytes.

That is just one use. I want to convert my DVD movies to disk as well so we can have just a single storage location and watch them anywhere in the house. I have several hundred DVD movies.
                                How do you go about this?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...