How do you deal with lazy forum members on your own forums?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JakeS
    • Jul 2005

At the top have a message in big bold writing saying "If you don't know how to post then your in the wrong place you dumby"

Comment

• MRGTB
      • May 2005

Yeah I must admit, the quick reply button, when setup to require a click can throw people (especially because it have no writing on it).

It would be better if that button was a little larger and accually did say "Quick Reply" on it.

Comment

• WielerArchieven
        • Apr 2007
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by NashTax
        I send them the faq links!
        That's what i will do, except that i will change the phrase FAQ to Help, as
        most of my users don't even know what FAQ means

Comment

• ---MAD---
          • Jun 2005
          • 3.8.x

I would simply ignore them. Its probably someone that knows whats going and knows it annoys admin's that are hungry for active members .

Comment

• forumguy
            • Nov 2006
            • 3.6.x

Yes, why would you want them to post? They're probably someone that doesn't know how to use a forum thererfore could create spammy posts. There's an 80% chance this is what will happen.
            vBulletin 5.0 coming soon... :confused:
            Visit my site today!

Comment

• Cromulent
              • Oct 2005
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by forumguy
              Yes, why would you want them to post? They're probably someone that doesn't know how to use a forum thererfore could create spammy posts. There's an 80% chance this is what will happen.
              79% of all statistics are made up . There is a 92% chance that this statement is true.

Still I guess the point is valid.

Comment

• wirewolf
                • Nov 2003

Nobody knows their forum and how to navigate around it better than us, Admins and Mods. I try to look at my forum from the point of view of a first time member (not easy sometimes). One very easy thing to do is to create a static help page (kind of a mini site map) and have a link to it at the top of every forum page.
                I have one here - Quick Navigation, and my first time members' use it a lot until they get the "feel" of navigating around the forum.
                John

Comment

• ApexSpeed
                  • Dec 2004
                  • 3.8.x

The general problem I have found is that no matter what I do to create FAQs, Photo Posting tips and instructions, or anything else to help computer-phobes around our forums, the basic issue with anything today is that PEOPLE DON'T READ anything that is directional or instructional.

Besides the fact that most of my users who don't know how to register or post are only there to sell something in the Classifieds. It's probably better though. If you aren't capable of figuring out how to make a simple post or register for a basic discussion forum, you probably shouldn't be selling an expensive race car on the internet to begin with.

People are lazy and want a quick solution or answer without actually looking for it—even with an FAQ or, like we have, a dedicated forum for site problems, guidelines and tips. I can't make things any easier, and if someone can't even type out a full sentence to ask for help, I can't waste my time with them.

These are actual e-mails we've received in the last 6 months...

"how do you post?"

"I cannot register."

"hi , i forgot how to post a message? thanks"

"cannotlog in cheers"

"I would like to post a question but am unsure of where to start?"

"Whats my password?"

"I can't log in or change my password?"

"Hello,still haven't joined the 21st century.lol.I can't figure out how to place
                  an add on this website.i would like to sell my car.thanks jim"

We try to laugh these off, but I think it's the lack of people's willingness to try to figure something simple out on their own that always strikes a nerve with me.

Comment

• Doug Nelson
                    • Aug 2001

I have (I think) more than my share of these users, since my site is popular with tech newbies. I've taken numerous steps that have all worked out well.

1) I made a tour movie, posted it to youtube and then embedded it in a template page. I put a link to the template page on my navbar, and include it in the welcome email.

2) I use the Welcome Headers plugin available over at vb.org. It shows different messages depending on where they are in the registration process, including links for lost passwords, resending activation emails, etc.

3) I bought an addon module for Outlook (no longer necessary for Outlook 2007, which has the function builtin) that lets me respond with boilerplate answers at the click of a button. This is probably my #1 technique for avoiding headaches. I wrote detailed responses for all my most common questions, all slanted towards showing them how to do whatever it is they want by themselves.

Comment

• forumguy
                      • Nov 2006
                      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Cromulent
                      79% of all statistics are made up . There is a 92% chance that this statement is true.

Still I guess the point is valid.
                      Don't question my percentages!
                      vBulletin 5.0 coming soon... :confused:
                      Visit my site today!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...