X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheMusicMan
    • Oct 2002
    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by TommyBALL
    • Moderators are not allowed to moderate threads where they have taken part in the discussion. Unless it is for a pure technical non-conflict reason (like splitting thread/moving posts etc). If a conflict arises and the moderator is involved, the admin or supermoderator will handle moderation of the thread in question.

Originally posted by cirisme
    This is a fantastic suggestion. We have had this guideline in place since we started and it's one of the best things we ever did.
    I don't agree - if you have your moderators acting in a way where they should themselves be moderated doesn't send out a good message eh?

Moderators are in positions where they should uphold your strategy and policies not break them.
    John

Comment

• cirisme
      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by TheMusicMan
      I don't agree - if you have your moderators acting in a way where they should themselves be moderated doesn't send out a good message eh?

Moderators are in positions where they should uphold your strategy and policies not break them.
      Our policy has more to do with moderators being unbiased than anything else. This is particularly important in our forum since we are centered around debate. So if a moderator is involved in a thread, they can't moderate that thread unless there is some extenuating emergency circumstance.

It removes bias from the process as much as possible.
      TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

• john1744
        • Apr 2005

I run a forum thats built up about four million posts (3 million archived on a db on server) over the last 4 years. We have 4,000 plus members, about a 1,000 active members.

I have a forum for each gaming console (it's a gaming forum) with each of those forums having 2-3 moderators. My other discussion forums have their own group of mods as well. This provides a community ownership feel I believe. I then have 8 super moderators who oversee and manage all the forums. Most are used to moderate the main discussion forum where 90% of the posts take place.

I made my main moderators super mods because I know that they will instantly have the ability to moderate every forum I ever create.

We have six administrators including me, with each specializing in an area.

Myself - Community Management / Feature Additions

Owner - Owns the site

Admin 3 - Designer of styles and Organizer of events

Admin 4 - Network admin, keeps the site up and running, backups, checking queries etc. (approves my edits to the code )

Admin 5 - Supermoderator / Moderator Manager, is the closest to the moderators and knows them the best. He takes them under his wing and teaches them how to work the system.

Admin 6 - CMS / Front Page Designer, implementer, manager. (this guys working towards creating us a home page and getting the forums ready for it)

Most of my Super Mods / Admins are people I have known online for close to 6 or 7 years and trust quite well.

We permban probably a few dozen accounts a year, we ban probably a dozen or more people every week.

So all together

6 Admins, 8 Supermods, 18-24 or so regular moderators with ability to close, open, edit and soft delete threads.

Comment

• Pug_WD
          • Apr 2007
          • 3.6.x

19 forum leaders currently, serving 4,500+ members.
          Me and three other admins (in case of emergencies in my absense), whereas the rest all have super-mod status, except for a couple who got dropped to ordinary moderator while they've not been so active, as an incentive for the others to show their faces regularly.

We have a private, hidden forum section for admin/mods issues together with at least one sub-cat for mischievous member discussions.
          We also have an invite only private, hidden lounge for social discussion amongst staff and respected forum members that's worked really well in binding the core community together.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...