Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Corgimom
    • Apr 2007

Can a beginner learn to do this??

Okay.. I am a total tech newbie. I know nothing of MySQL, PhP, CSS, html, etc. (Well, I have had one class but that was 5 years ago and I don't remember a damn thing from it, so it doesn't count!) My goal is to start a forum that I believe will remain a small/medium sized forum (maybe 50 regular posters or so max.. doubt it will ever get more than that). Beyond that, I need to know how to get started.... even if that it is just to recommend a book or something that can help. What do I HAVE to know to get things started and what can I learn as I go? What size webhost do I need to look for, and what prices should I expect to pay for it? Once I get a webhost, how do I start putting a site together? Help?! I would really like to get this going as soon as I can, but I want to do it right also. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
  • Yours Truly
    • Feb 2007
    • 3.6.x

Do you mean start your own vBulletin forum or you own actual forum software? If vBulletin no knowledge of the things mentioned above are needed.

Comment

• Neal-UK
      • Feb 2004

I had no clue about most of the above when I started. Now I can fix minor DB problems and update tables...which shocks me still!

If you have a decent host, they will help you with install and minor teething problems and so will the great support on here ;-)
      [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

Comment

• Corgimom
        • Apr 2007

Thank you so much for the replies. I'm feeling a lot better about this today. Was starting to get worried that I was getting in WAY over my head.... now I just feel a LITTLE over my head LOL. Now the question is how much room do I need (how big of a plan) with a webhost. What should I be looking for most when picking a good webhost? I've been going through the webhost forums on here as well and have about 5 or 6 that I'm looking at based on recommendations, but I still don't know how much I need to get started. Thanks again!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...