Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JakeS
    • Jul 2005

MS Slams Sony for not being Family Friendly

Stephen McGill, the head of Microsoft's Gaming and Entertainment and Devises Division UK, recently criticised the PlayStation 3 for not being family friendly based on the PlayStation 3’s number of shooting and driving game launch titles.

"If you look at the PS3 line-up it's quite heavy in shooters and drivers," says McGill. "I'm pleased to say that our portfolio is quite appealing to the masses."

"We've got a great portfolio of games for kids, families, mums and girls", he continues.

"As you come into Christmas I think you'll see our portfolio expand to over 300 titles with all the biggest franchises that everyone will want".

Furthermore he stated that the Xbox 360 is the only platform where you can play "Halo 3 and Grand Theft Auto IV."

Although his comments are hard to fault, didn’t the Xbox 360 have the same problem when it launched back in 2005?

These comments come in sync with the Microsoft PR offensive to battle the launch of the PlayStation 3 in the region.
  • briangumble
    • Feb 2004

I thought GTAIV was gonna be for the PS3 and the 360? Well MS shouldn't slam Sony for not being family friendly. I don't want any kid or family games.

Comment

• forumguy
      • Nov 2006
      • 3.6.x

No they said, "Only on XBox you can play Halo and GTAIV".
      vBulletin 5.0 coming soon... :confused:
      Visit my site today!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

The lack of family friendly games is one of the biggest reasons why I am not looking to purchase a PS3. Maybe they will come in the future but the Wii and XBOX360 offer more family value now.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Qryztufre
          • Nov 2005
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by JakeS
          Stephen McGill, the head of Microsoft's Gaming and Entertainment and Devises Division UK, recently criticised the PlayStation 3 for not being family friendly based on the PlayStation 3’s number of shooting and driving game launch titles.
          I find it funny one would say the above AND below in the same article...

Furthermore he stated that the Xbox 360 is the only platform where you can play "Halo 3 and Grand Theft Auto IV."
          Now I've never played Halo, and I've not seen GTA4 but, erm, did the guy in GTA finally settle down, get married, and have kids...

I can see his next assignment that revolves around getting his 8 year old to soccer practice on time.

Way to go MS!

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

Playstation has always been 16, 18 and up.

Comment

• ---MAD---
              • Jun 2005
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Floris
              Yeah true .

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Floris
                Not really... The games we have for the PS2 are family oriented.

Ratchet & Clank (all three in the series) - Rated T
                Sonic the Hedgehog (9 different games) - Rated E
                Harvest Moon - Rated E
                Teen Titans - Rated E
                Kingdom Hearts - Rated E
                Final Fantasy ( 7,8,9,X,X-2) - Rated T
                Sims 2 - T
                Harry Potter (Various) - Rated E
                R-Type - Rated E
                Summoner 2 - Rated T
                Dark Cloud - Rated T

Even the Teen rated games have little objectionable material. The only game that we own for the PS1 and PS2 that I wouldn't let my children play is Silent Hill. We even have a Tonka Adventures (Preschool rating) from when my stepson was a lot younger.

I looked at the games available for the PS3 and there isn't much that I would let my kids play. Maybe FF XIII, Lord of the Rings, and Spider-man. Of those FF XIII, would be the only one they are interested in. $800.00 for one game just doesn't seem worth it. I could get a full-size arcade console with 10 games for less. Maybe more will come out in time but it seems most studios are still building for the PS2 instead of the PS3. Now I like my PS2 and we have more games for it than any other console. However I haven't seen the incentive to upgrade to a PS3 yet... Spend $800 so I can spend $30.00 on movies instead of $10? To buy some of the most expensive games in the world with no variety? It doesn't offer anything else. Just a big black console.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Dean C
                  • Mar 2002
                  • 3.5.x

You might have those games Wayne, but the majority aren't family orientated. On a side note Viva Piniata for the 360 is a pretty fun and original game ;D
                  Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Link00seven
                    • Aug 2004
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Dean C
                    You might have those games Wayne, but the majority aren't family orientated. On a side note Viva Piniata for the 360 is a pretty fun and original game ;D
                    I've heard a lot of good about Viva Piniata. I'll need to check that out one day.

Back on topic, I have no need yet to worry about games appropriate for families, however I'd say that the Wii is the most family friendly console. It's the only time my mom ever picked up a videogame since the coin-op days.

Comment

• JakeS
                      • Jul 2005

Well MS lies about one thing.... GTA 4 will be on PS3.

From rockstar games website:

http://www.rockstargames.com/
                      grandtheftauto4

Platform: PlayStation®3, Xbox 360™
                      Release Date: Coming soon for PlayStation®3 and Xbox 360™.
                      Developer: Rockstar North

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                        • Feb 2005
                        • 1.1.x

More of a misunderstanding then a lie. They probably meant they will have more content in Grand Theft Auto IV, then what you get for PS3.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

He didn't lie.. He said the XBOX360 would be the only console to have Halo 3 and GTA4... meaning both games in combination. That is what AND means. The Playstation 3 will not have both because Bungie is owned by Microsoft. He was most likely alluding to the idea that if someone buys one of those games, they would be more inclined to purchase the other as well.

When Halo 3 is released for the PS3, then he lied.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                            • Feb 2005
                            • 1.1.x

I only know what was said at E3 2006 and could not find any recent official Microsoft release news on topic at hand, just posted messages on blogs/forums. I only did a quick search at Microsoft site and found no mention of this recently or back a year ago.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...