Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JakeS
    • Jul 2005

Did you buy PS3 at launch in UK?

I my self never but, their was a new record set.

Record-breaking 165,000 PS3s sold at UK launch

Out of 220,000 ps3's 165,000 where sold over the weekend next to the Wii's 105,000 at launch and the 360's 70,000.

Anyway, Back to the question, did you buy a PS3 at launch?
    Yes
    11.76%
    No
    88.24%
  • forumguy
    • Nov 2006
    • 3.6.x

No. Very over-priced for a games console.
    vBulletin 5.0 coming soon... :confused:
    Visit my site today!

Comment

• JakeS
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by forumguy
      No. Very over-priced for a games console.
      Price is why I never, another problem is we pay more than USA , but to be more precise, the PS3 I think is worth the money, because simply the BD.

Comment

• C.Birch
        • Apr 2002
        • 3.6.x

Yes i did and got 5 games, blu-ray remote, 2nd handpad and 2 blu-ray films.

Comment

• WurkAnimal
          • Aug 2005
          • 3.5.x

Way expensive, but No, I didn't.

Comment

• JakeS
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by C.Birch
            How long had you been waiting to get your ps3? since it was first mentioned or just recently after finding out it was going to be released?

Originally posted by NashTax
            Way expensive, but No, I didn't.
            I agree with saying its expensive, but if you think about it, its worth it in the end.

Comment

• Dean C
              • Mar 2002
              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by C.Birch
              Did you take out a mortgage?
              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• WurkAnimal
                • Aug 2005
                • 3.5.x

Originally posted by JakeS
                How long had you been waiting to get your ps3? since it was first mentioned or just recently after finding out it was going to be released?

I agree with saying its expensive, but if you think about it, its worth it in the end.
                Care to explain how it's worth it?

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
                  • Jun 2004
                  • 5.1.x

See this is the thing that people don't understand. All they are going by is the Sony hype machine. The Cell, prior to the PS3 has never been used before. Many people are going by specs. The problem is, the specs for the Cell are different than the 360 or Wii. In theory the higher numbers are better. However that can also not be true. The Cell architecture is different than the 3 CPU's in the 360 for example. What it will come down to is how well the Cell actually does things. Remember the PS2's 'Emotion Engine' that Sony said would rival Toy Story quality graphics. While some games look good, NONE of them even get close.

For those that don't remember, the Cell was supposed to also be the GPU. Sony couldn't make it do what it wanted and thus at the last hour turned to Nvidia. Ubisoft has already stated that crowd AI in the Xbox 360 version of Assassins Creed will be better than the PS3's, due to limitations with the PS3 hardware. Limitations? Already? Using a processor thats supposed to be superior to anything out there? You don't say.

None of what I have seen people say hasn't been anything more than what Sony has been telling them about the PS3 and its capabilities. No doubt the PS3 is a good machine. But at the core it is NOT worth the price as a gaming machine. Drop Blu-Ray and you have a $300-$400 system. The majority of the games out on it are also available on DVD format (i.s. Xbox 360). Blu-Ray is like any other storage device. In and of itself it doesn't improve the games you play. That is left up to the developers and GPU. You could have the same game spread across 3 CD's and still get the same overall experience.

What I also find amusing is that the majority of launch games were launched 1 year earlier on the 360. Meaning the companies had close to 1 year to AT LEAST, at a minimum to have equal quality graphics. Yet somehow they looked worse AND played worse. You could blame that on how you have to code for the PS3. But at what point do you stop blaming developers lack of knowledge on how to code for it, and start blaming it as the systems flaws and limitations?!

Long story short, IMO Sony released the PS3 too soon which in turn crippled it. They are using standards that have yet...and may not even become standards. They are banking everything on the PS3. Just because it does well on PS3, doesn't mean the mass public will adopt it. Remember that DVD had already been out about 5 years and was starting to penetrate the market when the PS2 launched. All the PS2 did was take advantage of that. The PS2 also launched at the $300 price point. Meaning it dropped to a more reasonable price sooner and was starting to ride the DVD popularity. The PS3 on the other hand, unless Sony wants to kick its own butt, will likely take much longer to penetrate the market and have that same level of popularity. If at all.

What I find amusing is all this talk about the system itself and not the games. Seriously. Sony acts like they don't even care that GTA will launch at the same time on both PS3 and 360. And acted like they didn't care that Devil May Cry is now multiple platforming. Amongst many other former exclusive PS3 titles.

Long story short, many people don't care if its worth it in the end. The end is usually too late. They want it to be worth it now or in the near future when they want to get it. The PS3 at this point has a long ways to go. Blu-Ray and Cell do not make the system. And many of the exclusive killer titles it held are now going cross platform to cheaper systems, but will likely look just as good on them. Sony needs to work harder and do more and concentrate less on using the PS3 as a promotional tool for Blu-Ray and Cell. Maybe in time it will. But right now its just an uber expensive gaming system thats lacking decent games and is cumbersome both online and with the crossbar. We'll revisit area of discussion later in the fall.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

The last post pretty much sums up what I think about the PS3. Basically I feel that $700.00 is a lot of money for something that doesn't provide a clear technological advantage to me and my family. The game title list just doesn't make it worthwhile at this time, not when everything and more is already available for the XBOX360. Which I can get with HD-DVD for less money.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• forumguy
                      • Nov 2006
                      • 3.6.x

Who would buy a PS3 at launch when the price is going to come down in a few month. There will be much more games available and better value. There are only about 30 launch games, and they all apply to different tastes meaning you'll only get 1-5 games depending on the game types you like. Also, you can get a stand-alone Blu-Ray player and even a combo HD-DVD/Blu-Ray.
                      vBulletin 5.0 coming soon... :confused:
                      Visit my site today!

Comment

• Quillz
                        • Nov 2004
                        • 5.0.X

What's worth it at the end? An overpriced Xbox 360 with a Blu-ray drive?
                        Forums

Comment

• Floris
                          • Dec 2001

Nope, too expansive for me.

Comment

• Chroder
                            • Dec 2002

Too expensive for me, too.

A lot of the games that were PS-only are coming on the XB now, so I don't even feel like I'm missing out on much.

Comment

• msimplay
                              • Feb 2003
                              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                              The last post pretty much sums up what I think about the PS3. Basically I feel that $700.00 is a lot of money for something that doesn't provide a clear technological advantage to me and my family. The game title list just doesn't make it worthwhile at this time, not when everything and more is already available for the XBOX360. Which I can get with HD-DVD for less money.
                              Yeah I have to agree 500 pounds for a console is more than I would spend considering that I can get the same for less with the Xbox360
                              rugs|cheap rugs|modern rugs|shaggy rugs|traditional rugs

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...