Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skeptical
    • Oct 2000

Dynamic IP?

Anyone here know if there's a program that will auto-announce your IP address to you, say via an email or instant message or something?

I don't want ddns, as the country I'm using this in just won't work with most ddns providers (they are blocked). I just need the IP so I can remote desktop in.
    Well, there it is.
    - Keeper of the Grove
  • JakeS
    • Jul 2005

Well you could go to http://www.ip-finder.info/ everyday before you leave.

Comment

• Skeptical
      • Oct 2000

My home network's IP address changes randomly, sometimes many times during the day. What if I'm travelling and can't check for days?

Is there some software that I can install which will send this info to me automatically?
      Well, there it is.
      - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• JakeS
        • Jul 2005

Not that I know of, But, Surely when your router is turned on all the time the IP doesn't change? I also have a dynamic for this PC and the router hasn't turned off for over 3 weeks and my IP has been the same all that time.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Start -> Run -> CMD -> Go

type in ipconfig /all

Or visit: http://www.whatismyip.com/

If you're on a router, you will need to find the IP address of the router. It should have a status screen that tells you. That is what you will need but you will have to forward the remote desktop ports to your PC.

And to JakeS, your IP can change even on a router that you don't turn off and reset. IP addresses are given on a lease and when the lease expires you need to acquire a new one. If two nodes reaquire a lease at roughly the same time, their IP addresses can change. In your local network this rarely happens but in a WAN environment it is more likely.

Originally posted by JakeS
          Well you could go to http://www.ip-finder.info/ everyday before you leave.
          Interestingly enough, that tells me the my IP is in Wichita Kansas.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• JakeS
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            Start -> Run -> CMD -> Go

type in ipconfig /all

Or visit: http://www.whatismyip.com/

If you're on a router, you will need to find the IP address of the router. It should have a status screen that tells you. That is what you will need but you will have to forward the remote desktop ports to your PC.

And to JakeS, your IP can change even on a router that you don't turn off and reset. IP addresses are given on a lease and when the lease expires you need to acquire a new one. If two nodes reaquire a lease at roughly the same time, their IP addresses can change. In your local network this rarely happens but in a WAN environment it is more likely.
            That's strange then, Because for all the time I've had it on when i look at the who's online on my forum my ip is always the same, Even when I go to 192.168.1.1 to look through my router settings it says the same IP, How weird, come to think of it sometimes after I've reset my router my ip is still the same, unless my ISP is telling me I have a dynamic coming to this pc and in fact i have a static that would be weird.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...