phpBB goes all CSS / tablefree

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milado
    replied
    I wish vBulletin will move toward css / tableless design.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Seeing how it was, and where it is now .. great step forward. It's a good start moving into the right direction. It looks a lot like the web20-like design ubuntuforums.org use. Which is also quite pretty.

Leave a comment:

• Dean C
    replied
    Originally posted by AlexanderT
    Ahh my fault! I just saw it as a defense for using the current table layout. My sincere apologies...
    I accept them on Zach's behalf

Leave a comment:

• AlexanderT
    replied
    Originally posted by Dean C
    Alex, Zachery's point was exactly what you just argued...
    Ahh my fault! I just saw it as a defense for using the current table layout. My sincere apologies...

Leave a comment:

• forumguy
    replied
    Very snazzy layout they have there.

Leave a comment:

• DirectPixel
    replied
    Originally posted by Dean C
    I didn't argue the point with him, I agreed.

Edit: Oh whoops, just noticed that you were talking to AlexanderT. So many people named Alex...
    Last edited by DirectPixel; Tue 20 Mar '07, 9:57am.

Leave a comment:

• Dean C
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AlexanderT
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery
    Theres no reason to not to use tables when they are called for. Tables != evil.
    Zachery, that's a rather blatant statement. Nobody is saying that tables are evil nor that they should not be used when called for. Use tables if you want to display table content, such as a spreadsheets. But use CSS if you want to define a layout for which, everyone agrees nowadays, tables are not the best tools.

There are so many reasons to switch to CSS and leave oh-so-yesterday table layouts behind, some of them are:
    • faster rendering
    • reduced code size (compare the source code of the new phpbb design to the vb design) leading to reduced bandwidth consumption and faster page loads
    • better support for non-standard displays, such as mobile devices
    • easier to design new layouts

Leave a comment:

• Caiman
    replied
    vB's homepage is uninspiring and old now, I do hope they plan to give it a good overhaul following their next major release. It doesn't affect me much as an existing customer, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to come up with something a little more in standing with current web trends and such. As for the template code, they've done an interesting job, the style is pretty basic but then it's a default, aye... I wonder if we'll see any more elaborate styles follow suit.

Leave a comment:

• Toneboy
    replied
    Step in the right direction.

I'd expect future versions of vB will go down this path as well.

Leave a comment:

• Dream
    replied
    I didnt like that design much, kinda messy, cant read stuff easily. (my humble opinion)

Leave a comment:

• harmor
    replied
    Originally posted by DirectPixel
    Then that's bad coding. Layers upon layers of nested <div>'s are not the proper way to code a page.
    I don't know what's proper or bad coding when it comes to CSS.

Leave a comment:

• iardon
    replied
    Phpbb did a wonderful job also on their home page. Makes vbulletin.com look even more boxy and plain.

Leave a comment:

• DirectPixel
    replied
    Originally posted by harmor
    The only reason I like tables more than CSS is because tables are easier to follow. When you have divs inside of divs it's easy to mess up the layout when trying to add something to a template.
    Then that's bad coding. Layers upon layers of nested <div>'s are not the proper way to code a page.

Leave a comment:

• harmor
    replied
    The only reason I like tables more than CSS is because tables are easier to follow. When you have divs inside of divs it's easy to mess up the layout when trying to add something to a template.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...