I think it's just custom for the site.
    vBulletin 5.0 coming soon... :confused:
    Visit my site today!

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Dream
      I know this is a bit off-topic, but where can I get this

style from? Someone said CVS, I couldn't find it anywhere in the CVS. What exactly should I download?
      For support on phpBB please go to their web site .. we have no problem with discussing their new style here, but giving support for it is a bit beyond.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Cap'n Refsmmat
        That's not the default color, that's phpbb.com only.

Try http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/
        Wow.. now I don't know which is worse. I don't really like either style.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ---MAD---
          • Jun 2005
          • 3.8.x

Tbf, no-one would use a default skin because it makes the site boring. Forums need to be unique. Very few forums actually bother going further beyond than editing the colours of a skin probably because they will have to suffer when it comes to upgrading. This is one reason why having a time plan for a new major version is handy. If say you were making a very unique skin today, and tomorrow the announcement of 4.0 beta was announced, you would be quite angry, even if the beta stage + RC stage will last a few months. You would much rather wait and use the skin you currently have.

Comment

• DirectPixel
            • Jan 2002
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by ---MAD---
            Tbf, no-one would use a default skin because it makes the site boring. Forums need to be unique. Very few forums actually bother going further beyond than editing the colours of a skin probably because they will have to suffer when it comes to upgrading. This is one reason why having a time plan for a new major version is handy. If say you were making a very unique skin today, and tomorrow the announcement of 4.0 beta was announced, you would be quite angry, even if the beta stage + RC stage will last a few months. You would much rather wait and use the skin you currently have.
            What's the most annoying, for me, is the constant template updates between minor versions.

Switching to a CSS-based layout will mean I won't have to update a bunch of templates to make a single minor correction every time vBulletin gets updated.
            :)

Comment

• ---MAD---
              • Jun 2005
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by DirectPixel
              What's the most annoying, for me, is the constant template updates between minor versions.

Switching to a CSS-based layout will mean I won't have to update a bunch of templates to make a single minor correction every time vBulletin gets updated.
              Yeah I guess although minor updates don't always have template updates.

MAD

Comment

• AlexanderT
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by MRGTB
                Well I must differ from others here, because I don't like the new look of phpbb over the old style. And the post icons are nowhere near as nice as the old ones. I'm also not much of a fan of rounded off corners also.

Yeah, the new web coding is a big leap forward for them and great news. But the new style leaves a lot to be desired if you ask me
                Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                You're not the only one. Personally I don't like the new style with all of its "rainy day" gray everywhere. Hopefully it sees a lot less use than Subsilver but most people don't edit the look and feel of a forum.
                Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                Wow.. now I don't know which is worse. I don't really like either style.
                Well even without knowing, you guys just made the point... whether you like a design or not is most subjective. Hence the importance to offer a product with semantically correct XHTML, so that designers everywhere can easily change the look and appearance without going through the hassles of ugly table hacks.

This is NOT about whether the vBulletin style looks outdated or not, or about whether you like the look of the new phpBB style, - it's about providing clean and structured XHTML code that is easy to understand and easy to reuse -- neither of which you can say about the current HTML table mess in vBulletin.

DirectPixel raises another important point:
                Originally posted by DirectPixel

It was mentioned earlier by a Jelsoft staff that we'd have to wait at least for the release of vB 4.0 to see something similar like in phpBB 3.0. Ensuring compatibility with existing modified vB boards was mentioned. Sure enough, compatibility is important, but why should this be a reason not to offer an updated style with structured XHTML code? If you buy vBulletin today and start a new forum, wouldn't you prefer clean XHTML over messy tablehacks? Why not give us the option to use a master style with semantically correct XHTML while keeping the old master style in place for those who cannot or don't want to immediately upgrade?

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                  • Jun 2002

According to Kier (or was it someone else..) It isn't completely about compatibilty right now that's preventing a fully functional tableless design from being deployed in vBulletin 3.6. It's currently limitations to the template system that's preventing a migration which is requiring us to wait till vBulletin 4.
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...