• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Comtech
    Banned
    • Nov 2004
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by MRGTB
    Well I must differ from others here, because I don't like the new look of phpbb over the old style. And the post icons are nowhere near as nice as the old ones. I'm also not much of a fan of rounded off corners also.

Yeah, the new web coding is a big leap forward for them and great news. But the new style leaves a lot to be desired if you ask me

As with any new technology or way of doing things...there will always be those who dislike the new.

Most will not dislike it, instead shall be in open support of anything that brings a refreshing look to an outdated piece of technology (forum software could be considered a form of technology) & I would say that over 50% of the vBulletin customer base would like to see an improved look - one that competes with the new PhpBB style.

Otherwise I could see a percentage of people turning away from their vBulletin or IPB licenses to PhpBB for the new style alone! I won't be one....but it does happen & may very well happen here. The selling of style over function has been a great marketing tool for thousands of now successful brands.
    Last edited by Comtech; Sun 1 Apr '07, 10:25am.

Comment

• Drexion
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Discussions
      As with any new technology or way of doing things...there will always be those who dislike the new.

Most will not dislike it, instead shall be in open support of anything that brings a refreshing look to an outdated piece of technology (forum software could be considered a form of technology) & I would say that over 50% of the vBulletin customer base would like to see an improved look - one that competes with the new PhpBB style.

Otherwise I could see a percentage of people turning away from their vBulletin or IPB licenses to PhpBB for the new style alone! I won't be one....but it does happen & may very well happen here. The selling of style over function has been a great marketing tool for thousands of now successful brands.
      Except that of course none of what you say in terms of 'style over function' or being outdated is true over at phpbb.com - that is the phpBB3 beta you see there, and not phpBB2 re-skinned as you seem to claim.
      phpBB3 is not only on par, but surpasses in some areas the current standard of functionality and performance expected from bulletin boards.

I do give you kudos for your eloquent method of belittling phpBB and its users though, you did so in quite a sneaky 'read between the lines' fashion so not as to appear to be a condescending zealot.

Except of course you did not stop there, you also had to belittle vBulletin users as well, by saying half of them are style-over-function whores.

I am afraid that in your attempt to subtly demean the phpBB software and its users, on a competitors forum in a thread whose intentions had nothing to do with functionality comparisons to begin with - you have only succeeded in making yourself look foolish instead of gathering the support of "hear hear phpBB sucks" you may have expected.

Comment

• filburt1
        • Feb 2002

I predict thread termination unless you guys start having a civilized argument and not calling each other names.

Besides, you can't possibly make comments on phpBB 3 without seeing its actual architecture. Any well-designed system can have its view component completely ripped out and trashed, yet still operate exactly the same internally. I can make vBulletin look like a Geocities site from 1999 but it'll still be the same API and such beneath the UI.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Comtech
          Banned
          • Nov 2004
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by filburt1
          I can make vBulletin look like a Geocities site from 1999 but it'll still be the same API and such beneath the UI.
          Exactly my point of style versus function - however there are a lot of people who go for style versus function. How many people do you know who have went for something " Cool Looking" just because it was cool looking and they didn't care if it functioned the way other competitors product does? - I have known a lot.

Comment

• Dream
            • Mar 2001
            • 3.6.x

Forum users also like having a good looking forum to go and use, so that weights more to some administrators. And some administrators don't need a lot of functionality.
            Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• Comtech
              Banned
              • Nov 2004
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Dream
              Forum users also like having a good looking forum to go and use, so that weights more to some administrators. And some administrators don't need a lot of functionality.
              I agree one hundred and ten percent!

A forum member does not care what software is being used for a community instead they are there for several reasons and the software being used is definitely not one of the main reasons or concerns of the average forum community member. They want a forum which looks nice and carries topics that peaks an interest.

vBulletin has a nice blue design for their default skin (I like it and have used it a few times.) But it is outdated when compared to what users expect with todays new technology (especially with web 2.0 - which embellishes cool for a new age of internet users.)

PhpBB had an awful default skin, ever since I can remember. Now with PhpBB 3 they have revisioned their default style and decided to finally be the first major community software to go toward a Web 2.0'ish style and for that... they deserve all the kudos I can give.

Comment

• peterska2
                • Oct 2003
                • 3.7.x

Please keep on topic.

Thank you.

Comment

• Dream
                  • Mar 2001
                  • 3.6.x

The default phpBB 3 style is rather ugly, compared to the phpBB 2 default style.

It's nothing like the style on the first post of this thread. And that style is nowhere to be found.

Comment

• Quillz
                    • Nov 2004
                    • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Dream
                    The default phpBB 3 style is rather ugly, compared to the phpBB 2 default style.

It's nothing like the style on the first post of this thread. And that style is nowhere to be found.
                    Sorry, I don't get what you're saying. Are you saying that the vB style isn't available for phpBB or something?
                    Forums

Comment

• Drexion
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Quillz
                      Sorry, I don't get what you're saying. Are you saying that the vB style isn't available for phpBB or something?
                      I believe he has made the mistake of thinking the style linked in the first post is not the phpBB3 default style (he must have mixed it up with the style used a while back during their development of phpBB3)
                      (Well technically the style you see on phpbb.com is not what users will be getting out of the package, as what you see there is modified a bit to fit the theme of their site. If you want a closer idea of what it is look at this template. (pretty much the same really, except its liquid by default)

Dream>> its in the CVS repository.

Comment

• Comtech
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2004
                        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Drexion

Dream>> its in the CVS repository.
                        Yes that it is! I've been playing around with it a while last night on one of my "non vBulletin forums" and while it needs some work to be customized to each site's preference in color, graphics..etc - I really do like the new style and I actually like the new Administrator Control Panel as well.

They've done a great job at catching up.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MRGTB
                          Well I must differ from others here, because I don't like the new look of phpbb over the old style. And the post icons are nowhere near as nice as the old ones. I'm also not much of a fan of rounded off corners also.
                          You're not the only one. Personally I don't like the new style with all of its "rainy day" gray everywhere. Hopefully it sees a lot less use than Subsilver but most people don't edit the look and feel of a forum.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• MRGTB
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by Discussions
                            No, I have never claimed it was PhpBB 2...with a new skin. I was speaking of vBulletin becoming outdated in the style arena with their default style when compared to the new PhpBB skin. Thus I was giving PhpBB a great compliment - so I have no idea where you are getting these absurd notions from, of my attacking or belittling PhpBB or vBulletin (especially considering that I own vBulletin and have ran vBulletin since 2004.)

I also want to add that since you decided to post a rather retarded comment, that I find you and your lack of comprehension of text to be rather annoying - like a child who never understands what is being taught to it.

I did not attack any single person or group, merely mentioned something most people understand...that vBulletin's default style needs a revamp. Go back to school & before you run your f'ing mouth off - rethink that strategy..especially when you have no idea what you are speaking of.

Sorry, but I don't agree that the vBulletin skin looks outdated compared to the new phpBB look. But thats my own personal opinion only

Comment

• Cap'n Refsmmat
                              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                              You're not the only one. Personally I don't like the new style with all of its "rainy day" gray everywhere. Hopefully it sees a lot less use than Subsilver but most people don't edit the look and feel of a forum.
                              That's not the default color, that's phpbb.com only.

Try http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/

Comment

• Dream
                                • Mar 2001
                                • 3.6.x

I know this is a bit off-topic, but where can I get this

style from? Someone said CVS, I couldn't find it anywhere in the CVS. What exactly should I download?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...