X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WurkAnimal
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.5.x

Lad, 17: I won't sell his website for £8.5M

and he is using vBulletin! (his website won't load for me - too much traffic maybe
  • Caiman
    • Apr 2004
    • 3.6.x

The sun input the url as 'http://sharpenews/' - idiots. (
    Aye

Comment

• forumguy
      • Nov 2006
      • 3.6.x

Yup. How can I see the site?
      vBulletin 5.0 coming soon... :confused:
      Visit my site today!

Comment

• ---MAD---
        • Jun 2005
        • 3.8.x

Hmm I tried sharpenews.com and it wouldn't load :s.

Comment

• SaN-DeeP
          • Dec 2003
          • 1.1.x

Its www.sharepenews.co.uk but unable to load the site (not sure why)

A Cheltenham teenager has reportedly turned down £8.5million to sell his website.
          A Cheltenham teenager has reportedly turned down £8.5 million to sell his website.

Nick Coates, 17, runs Sharpenews, a global news site aimed at young people, reports the Sun.

It has had 89 million hits in 18 months and rakes in £2,500 a month from advertisers.

Several firms have made big offers but Nick insists he doesn’t need the money.

He said: "I could walk away with about £4million - but I'm not interested in that at the moment."

Nick started the site when he was just 12. It now has 70 contributors worldwide and has won awards including website of the year.

He is also studying for four A-levels and even works ten hours a week at a local electrical goods store.

There VB forums here -> www.sharpenews.co.uk/vBulliten/ but alas cannot load
          TechArena - TechArena Community - Technology News - Tools Download - Tech Video - Gamer Guide - Hardware Review

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
            • Feb 2005
            • 1.1.x

I do not see why he just not sell and open up a simular forum. Unless he enter into a contract that states that he will not do so.

You think google hits would show up, but I only see one reference to site?
            EDIT:
            Just content page system might be seeing those hits and I think a person name Jamie runs vbulletin.
            You can check here to see when site maybe up and functioning again.

If he ever wants to grace us with his presents, then he would reply to us if he wishes to do so. Another would be just let him be, as he does have a vbulletin forum and at the moment has issuses.
            Last edited by Jose Amaral Rego; Thu 15 Mar '07, 11:53am.

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

I wouldn't sell either

Comment

• Joe Page
                • Sep 2002

Incredible

Comment

• Quillz
                  • Nov 2004
                  • 5.0.X

Originally posted by José M. Amaral Rego
                  I do not see why he just not sell and open up a simular forum. Unless he enter into a contract that states that he will not do so.

You think google hits would show up, but I only see one reference to site?
                  EDIT:
                  Just content page system might be seeing those hits and I think a person name Jamie runs vbulletin.
                  You can check here to see when site maybe up and functioning again.

If he ever wants to grace us with his presents, then he would reply to us if he wishes to do so. Another would be just let him be, as he does have a vbulletin forum and at the moment has issuses.
                  He doesn't want to open "a similar forum." This is his site, and he intends to keep it that way. I'm glad to see he hasn't fallen victim to the temptation of money yet.
                  Forums

Comment

• Chroder
                    • Dec 2002

I'd sell it for 8.5 mil unless I was already well off. I have family and friends who I would share it with (god knows there's enough of them that need some!), and I have more important things in my life that a little money would help along. My sister is moving back home this week to save some money because she's completely broke and can't afford another year at college -- I'd sell my site just to help her out.

"Temptation" or not, money rules the world unfortunately.

Comment

• Quillz
                      • Nov 2004
                      • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Chroder
                      I'd sell it for 8.5 mil unless I was already well off. I have family and friends who I would share it with (god knows there's enough of them that need some!), and I have more important things in my life that a little money would help along. My sister is moving back home this week to save some money because she's completely broke and can't afford another year at college -- I'd sell my site just to help her out.

"Temptation" or not, money rules the world unfortunately.
                      Yes, but we know nothing on this webmaster. He may be well off, but if it's something he enjoys doing it, there is no reason he should feel obligated to give it up.
                      Forums

Comment

• WurkAnimal
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.5.x

It was the BBC who offered him 8.5M

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                          • Nov 2001
                          • 3.8.x

He looks alot older then 17..
                          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Chroder
                            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Quillz
                            Yes, but we know nothing on this webmaster. He may be well off, but if it's something he enjoys doing it, there is no reason he should feel obligated to give it up.
                            Yeah of course Just making a point that taking money isn't necessarily because someone is greedy for it.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                              • Jun 2002

Offer is very tempting, however 4 Million isn't a whole lot of cash for a website if someone's offering. It's chump change, imho.
                              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...