Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • harmor
    • Aug 2003

Eisenhower shouldn't get credit for the interstate system

I was watching the History channel and they were talking about the road system in the United States. They were saying how great the interstate system is but no one ever mentioned Hitler and the autobahn. If I remember correctly the autobahn was in production first.
  • slappy
    • Apr 2003

You must have joined the show in progress, because the one I saw did mention the Autobann and its construction.

And Eisenhower didn't get credit for "inventing" the system, but simply for getting the system passed through Congress and funded.

I do also remember when it was first built and the discussion of it in the news of the time. I also traveled throughout my local state before the interstate system was built and all we had then were two lane highways.

Regards,
    Last edited by slappy; Sat 3 Mar '07, 1:51pm.
    Slappy

Comment

• Quillz
      • Nov 2004
      • 5.0.X

Originally posted by harmor
      I was watching the History channel and they were talking about the road system in the United States. They were saying how great the interstate system is but no one ever mentioned Hitler and the autobahn. If I remember correctly the autobahn was in production first.
      Note that Eisenhower's system is different from the autobahn. The autobahns generally don't cut through the urban centers of cities, whereas major interstates do.

Also, Eisenhower is credited for the passing of the American interstate system through Congress, not necessarily the idea of interstate highways.
      Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...