Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

Originally posted by filburt1
    I know a decent amount about FiOS, but not Verizon's TV service offering. I would love to ditch Comcast--not because I've had problems with them, but because I hate their company with every fiber of my being.
    I feel the exact same way about TimeWarnerCable after they bought out Adelphia.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• AWS
      • Apr 2000
      • 5.2.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
      FiOS is nothing more but a branding by Verizon for Fiber Optics. If you live in the Dallax, TX area, get in touch with your local SBC/AT&T office and inquire about fiber optic deployment in your market.
      Their offering is called Lightspeed and it isn't close to FIOS in speed. With Lightspeed you get 6/768 as the highest tier for the same price as Fios lowest which I think is 15/2. ATT is light years behind in technology. I've had fiber to my house from ATT since I had it built. The whole subdivision is fiber. I still can't get Lightspeed although I'm told my subdivision is ready to turned up any time now.
      I have dtv and comcast for internet. I'm happy with comcast. It is much faster and more reliable than my ATT dsl ever was at my old house.
      Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• ManagerJosh
        • Jun 2002

I heard the codename was Lightspeed, but the branding was "uWave"
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• bmc
          • Apr 2005

I live in Texas, I have Verizon FiOS, and I love, love, love it!!!! It's simply amazing, and I would never go back to Comcast - incredible on the speed for FiOS.
          The Relationship Forum
          The Relationship Forum is the best online forum for getting advice and help about romantic and non-romantic relationships, dating and marriage advice, and love.

Comment

• AWS
            • Apr 2000
            • 5.2.x

I heard the codename was Lightspeed, but the branding was "uWave"
            uVerse is what they call a bundle of dsl, phone and TV. Lightspeed is the fiber deployment.
            Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• ManagerJosh
              • Jun 2002

Originally posted by AWS
              uVerse is what they call a bundle of dsl, phone and TV. Lightspeed is the fiber deployment.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-Verse

Comment

• Kathy
                • May 2000
                • 3.8.x

I switched to Fios when they developed our neighborhood. Switched from the cable TV to Fios TV at the same time. Awesome service. I will never go back.
                Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

While I don't have FIOS and Verizon doesn't plan on offering it in my neighborhood until 2010 or later, I will never use their products. Their customer service really sucks and when I had DSL with them it was down upwards of 100 hours every month. When it was working, often times I had speeds of 60 Kbps. And this was the "more reliable" business line DSL which was $80.00 per month, not the residential DSL that they sell for $14.99 on their commercials. Their basic stance is they don't care what the customer pays for. They are the only service so the customer deals with it. Their reps told me so many times on the phone.

Well Time Warner moved into the area with digital cable internet and they have already lost 30% of their local customers. I just can't want until Time Warner offers digital phone in the next 30-60 days because it will be goodbye Verizon. For good. I don't care how much bandwidth they offer.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                    • Jun 2002

My opinion of Time Warner Cable is that they are Time Warner Hell. Multiple times I've called in regarding DNS outages but they claim to be working fine. After a few hours, someone finally realizes I'm right and they dispatch crews to fix it.

At the moment, my nickname for Time Warner Cable is Time Warner Hell.

Comment

• feldon23
                      • Nov 2001
                      • 3.7.x

And now it's Comcast hell.

Anxiously awaiting FioS (even tho I also hate Verizon), although it will probably be a while since I'm outside of Metro Houston.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

My opinion of Time Warner Cable is that they are Time Warner Hell. Multiple times I've called in regarding DNS outages but they claim to be working fine. After a few hours, someone finally realizes I'm right and they dispatch crews to fix it.

At the moment, my nickname for Time Warner Cable is Time Warner Hell.
                        I've had Time Warner Cable for about 4 months now, in two house. Not a single problem and my bandwidth has never dipped. We have their "Extreme" package for online so its 10 mbps downloads and 1 mbps uploads. Speeds never dip. No issues with service. When we have had to deal with them, they are always friendly and quick. Both times when they installed the modem, they had to run a line. At the first house they ran it from the street. Second house from the junction box. Neither time was I charged an installation fee and they were there exactly when they said they would be.

Basically, I am quite pleased. Digital Phone has taken a little longer than anticipated but the local cable system was antiquated as well. Right now we use Skype and cellphones instead of paying Verizon money.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                          • Sep 2001

Verizon's FIOS is fiber to your home.

AT&T's is only running fiber to new developments... they are primarilly going with thier uverse project which is fiber to the neighborhood and VDSL (over copper) to the home.

They are very different stategies and the fiber to the home approach gives Verizon the flexibility to offer additional bandwidth and services later on. Fios has gotten great reviews over at dslreports.com and I would grab it in a minute if i could.

I've had time warner for 6 years now and I've had to escalate on the two major issues I had because their techs were unable to properly diagnose the issue. They were telling me that 400 kbps down (when they advertise 10 mbps down) is perfectly acceptable. What a joke.
                          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• DanaSoft
                            • Oct 2003

I run FIOS 30/5 for $54 a month.... Amazing.

No outages, even switched to FIOS TV I was so happy with the quality (your phone is converted to the fios as well, but no difference there).

I've run speed tests at all times of the day and get near the max throughput. I kept my cable (15mb) as backup for a month and never needed it.

One very happy customer.

Comment

• StanFL
                              • Jul 2007

Fios - Bh

I switched from Bright House (cable) to FIOS due to massive $s saved.

ALL FIOS channels to include HDTV and all movie channels (minus Cinemax)
                              plus
                              Unlimited phone
                              plus
                              5/2 internet speed (slow, YES)
                              plus
                              2 HDTV receivers w/one being a DVR

Price prior to combo was $210 - $220.

Now $177!

I HAD Fios !5/2 and would recommend that selection.

Beware: several freebies are not available to a Mac person & their wireless router conflicts with my APPLE Airport.

Stan
                              Last edited by StanFL; Fri 6 Jul '07, 11:44pm. Reason: forgot some info

Comment

• Kathy
                                • May 2000
                                • 3.8.x

I'm a Mac person with Fios and have enjoyed all their benefits. BTW, you don't use both their router and the airport. Their router is wireless and thus renders your personal airport as unnecessary.
                                Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...