Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dilbert
    • Oct 2004

Verizon FiOS vs Comcast

I currently have Comcast for my ISP. I beleive their top speed is around 5-6Mbps download for $42.95/month.

Verizon has their packages:
    15Mbps download for $39.99/month.
    20Mbps download for $49.99/month.

I'm no math wiz, but that looks like a simple answer to me as far as which is better.

Does anyone have any experience with FiOS?
    Is this about the end of the line for cable internet speeds? Here is a statement on the Comcast site "our fast connection gets even faster with an extra burst of speed up to 12 Mbps when you’re downloading large files like videos and games." I hate terms like "up to", and what about times that I'm just surfing, do I get the regular speed?

I guess as things progress, we get more and more greedy, I still remember dial up.
    Cliff
    PathLabTalk
    Square Wheels Cycling
  • filburt1
    • Feb 2002

FiOS crushes Comcast; pay no attention to their marketing BS.

However, I have noticed with Comcast that I have many ports open that I normally wouldn't (HTTP, SMTP, etc.).
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• AWS
      • Apr 2000
      • 5.2.x

If you can get fios you should get it.
      Comcast doesn't block any ports unless they find abuse.
      Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• ManagerJosh
        • Jun 2002

I second AWS's comments. The second FiOS comes to my area is the second I get rid of timewarnercable.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

Interestingly enough I answered a telephone poll yeterday with questions concerning a new high-speed server that sounds very similar to this.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• AWS
            • Apr 2000
            • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            Interestingly enough I answered a telephone poll yeterday with questions concerning a new high-speed server that sounds very similar to this.
            Is Verizon your phone provider?
            If you can get don't hesitate.
            Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

No, they are not in this area yet which is why I think they were conductinmg a poll. They want to determine if there is enough of a potential market first.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• rjordan
                • Sep 2004
                • 3.6.x

FIOS is being run in the Richmond (VA) area. As soon as it hits me, I am switching... that is unless Comcast matches them. That is about the only thing that may make me reconsider.

Then again... BPL is also supposed to be coming around here. I don't know what the specs or cost will be on that.

Comment

• SSSlippy
                  • Jan 2006

Im in the NY Long Island area and we have "optimum" here which I can get a 30/5 for 55 before multi usage discounts(aka phone and tv). I was thinking of fios as they had originally advertised 30/5 speed in certain areas online but it seem to of dropped in speed.

Ive heard some bad things about fios currently as they are having outages etc in areas like any new company does.

I was able to download at 2.90mb/s the other night during prime time. Not sure if fios is gonna give me the same though.

Comment

• dilbert
                    • Oct 2004

Verizon has the 30/5 also, but it's pretty expensive - $179.95 / mo.
                    Cliff
                    PathLabTalk
                    Square Wheels Cycling

Comment

• JakeS
                      • Jul 2005

Try: https://www.bethere.co.uk/

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
                        • Jun 2000
                        • 4.0.x

I switched from Comcast Cable over to FiOS several months ago and would never switch back ever again. With FiOS, the connection is available 100% of the time, and the maximum speed is always obtainable if there are no bottlenecks on the other end of the connection (ie, the site/server you are accessing). And FiOS will be able to scale upward and offer almost unlimited amounts of speed into the future.

I even switched my Cable TV service over to Verizon now as well, since Comcast service had a habit of "cutting out" whenever viewship was high (ie, it would cut out during American Idol, and cut out several times during Eagles playoff games, which was the last straw for my wife).

We've been very happy with the FiOS service and would never even consider going back. All of this, and the costs for both TV and high speed Internet service are lower then what Comcast charges. It's not available everywhere yet, but I would keep my eyes out for it, and switch as soon as it is available in your area.

Comment

• kerplunk
                          • Aug 2002

Some of my friends from Texas have FiOS. Their review:

"Wow."

Get FiOS if it is available to you. I wish we had Verizon here.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                            • Jun 2002

FiOS is nothing more but a branding by Verizon for Fiber Optics. If you live in the Dallax, TX area, get in touch with your local SBC/AT&T office and inquire about fiber optic deployment in your market.
                            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• filburt1
                              • Feb 2002

If you don't mind my asking, Chris, how much were you paying for Comcast TV and Internet access (digital TV from them?) and how much are you paying for FiOS and Verizon's TV offering? Are you getting effectively the same package in terms of features (same channel set, etc.)?

I know a decent amount about FiOS, but not Verizon's TV service offering. I would love to ditch Comcast--not because I've had problems with them, but because I hate their company with every fiber of my being.
                              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...