How many Operating Systems do you run at the same time?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JakeS
    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by DirectPixel
    How do you run a web host, then?
    Its not rocket science.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
      • Jun 2002

Originally posted by JakeS
      Its not rocket science.
      Rocket science, no
      Still a science, yes.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• JakeS
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
        Rocket science, no
        Still a science, yes.
        its sarcasm, yes.

In other words its not very hard to become one.

Comment

• cirisme
          • Feb 2003

Which program do you use to handle those? I use VMware.
          Parallels. I was using the VMWare beta but it gave me a couple kernel panics and I decided Parallels is worth the cost.
          TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

• JakeS
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by cirisme
            Parallels. I was using the VMWare beta but it gave me a couple kernel panics and I decided Parallels is worth the cost.
            I've never heard of Parallels before, I'll have to try it some time.

Comment

• cirisme
              • Feb 2003

I've never heard of Parallels before, I'll have to try it some time.
              On Windows VMWare is great, but on OS X I've had a few problems with their beta offering. I'm sure they will catch up quickly, but for the time being Parallels leads the way for me.
              TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

• DirectPixel
                • Jan 2002
                • 3.5.x

Originally posted by cirisme
                On Windows VMWare is great, but on OS X I've had a few problems with their beta offering. I'm sure they will catch up quickly, but for the time being Parallels leads the way for me.
                I've tried VMWare for Windows, actually, and I've found that Parallels Workstation is faster and more stable in Windows as well.

The only problem I've had with Parallels Workstation is that it has problems installing Linux (any distribution) from CD. However, given a pre-made image, it boots fine.
                :)

Comment

• JakeS
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by DirectPixel
                  I've tried VMWare for Windows, actually, and I've found that Parallels Workstation is faster and more stable in Windows as well.

The only problem I've had with Parallels Workstation is that it has problems installing Linux (any distribution) from CD. However, given a pre-made image, it boots fine.
                  Problems booting from cd? I haven't tried linux in version 6 of vmw. but I sometimes install linux to test stuff out before I take it to the server so I think I'll stick to VMW for now.

Comment

• Quillz
                    • Nov 2004
                    • 5.0.X

UNIX?
                    what would someone like you want with that? anyway good stuff their, I'm getting my hands on windows 7 soon.
                    Why do you care? Why would someone like me want to use Linux when I'm perfectly happy with OS X? It's choice.
                    Forums

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

Everybody is free to run the OS and hardware they find out to work for them. That's why there are choices.

My as good as broken Windows machine runs unix/linux/debian/beta of vista/ Win XP pro 32bit and with a change of a harddrive freebsd.

The Mac powerbook runs only mac osx 10.4.8 and will soon be upgraded to 10.4.9, followed by 10.5

The mac pro runs xp on bootcamp, vista beta in parallels and xp home that someone gave me who switched to a mac too, in parallels (saved me buying another copy). The main os on the mac pro is of course 10.4.8, which will also get updated to 10.4.9 and then upgraded to 10.5 soon.

The only reason I use unix is for testing *nix old school to learn about networking and firewall and stuff like that. And linux for helping open source community for a specific distro; allthough I am hardly involved. And to run a private ircd server and another daemon on it.

on all systems windows is only used for testing internet explorer 5.5, 6, and 7. And to see how it looks on a default installation with no configuration options, etc.

My personal preference is Mac OSX right now, and I can't wait to upgrade to 10.5 so my Intel Xeon Powered Mac Pro goes truely native 64bit.

The frustration other operating systems give me, the way they do certain things .. I don't have that in osx, so I prefer osx. Who knows, might change in the future; knowing ms probably not, but who knows what linux has to offer in 5 years from now.

Comment

• Dean C
                        • Mar 2002
                        • 3.5.x

XP Pro SP2 on main desktop, Kubuntu on the lappy
                        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• SNN
                          • Jul 2006

Windows XP Service Pack 2
                          Debian "Etch"

I have also started a webhosting service, a game server, and a IRC server but when I was repartitioning in Debian Etch GUI it deleted the hard drive so everything on windows went 'byebye' lol. But, luckily, I saved mysql and htdocs.
                          I will also be installing openSuSE 10.3 once it is working good and I can find a new CD/DVD burner, or a setup.exe for windows use, like I did for Debian installation .

Comment

• WurkAnimal
                            • Aug 2005
                            • 3.5.x

Just the one.

Comment

• JakeS
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by SNN
                              Windows XP Service Pack 2
                              Debian "Etch"

I have also started a webhosting service, a game server, and a IRC server but when I was repartitioning in Debian Etch GUI it deleted the hard drive so everything on windows went 'byebye' lol. But, luckily, I saved mysql and htdocs.
                              I will also be installing openSuSE 10.3 once it is working good and I can find a new CD/DVD burner, or a setup.exe for windows use, like I did for Debian installation .
                              You need to be much much more careful.

Originally posted by NashTax
                              Just the one.
                              What's its like just having one OS? also what OS is it?

Comment

• SNN
                                • Jul 2006

You need to be much much more careful.

What's its like just having one OS? also what OS is it?
                                Ain't my fault I don't use those programs I used to use to repartition windows drives. Plus, I was having issues with Windows already when I was messing around with some hidden files. It started taking 5 minutes to just boot up :x

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...