How many Operating Systems do you run at the same time?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JakeS
    • Jul 2005

How many Operating Systems do you run at the same time?

How many Operating Systems do you run at the same time on the same computer?

I Run 5.

Windows XP Pro, Windows XP Pro x64, Windows 2000, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
  • cirisme
    • Feb 2003

I often run 3 these days, OS X, and two copies of Server 2003.

I could do more but I haven't had a need to. (yet)
    TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

• Quillz
      • Nov 2004
      • 5.0.X

On my iMac, I have Mac OS X installed natively, and Windows Vista, Ubuntu Linux and openSUSE 10.2 on virtual machines.
      Last edited by Quillz; Fri 2 Mar '07, 6:02pm. Reason: I added a new virtual machine!
      Forums

Comment

• JakeS
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by cirisme
        I often run 3 these days, OS X, and two copies of Server 2003.

I could do more but I haven't had a need to. (yet)
        Which program do you use to handle those? I use VMware.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.8.x

Windows XP Pro/SP2
          Windows Vista Ultimate
          Windows Vista Ultimate/SP1
          Windows Longhorn Server Enterprise
          Custom Unix - Berkeley January 24 Release
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• JakeS
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
            Windows XP Pro/SP2
            Windows Vista Ultimate
            Windows Vista Ultimate/SP1
            Windows Longhorn Server Enterprise
            Custom Unix - Berkeley January 24 Release
            UNIX?
            what would someone like you want with that? anyway good stuff their, I'm getting my hands on windows 7 soon.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by JakeS
              UNIX?
              what would someone like you want with that? anyway good stuff their, I'm getting my hands on windows 7 soon.
              Firewall mostly..
              I also do work which in certain situation requires strickly Unix...
              Windows 7 is in alpha, why do you want that??
              You would be lucky to get it to boot..
              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• JakeS
                • Jul 2005

Firewall mostly..
                I also do work which in certain situation requires strickly Unix...
                Windows 7 is in alpha, why do you want that??
                You would be lucky to get it to boot..
                Testing purposes, I love getting betas and early versions of windows/linux/mac I haven't got mac on this machine but I have on another machine, But beings you like love Microsoft why would unix come in handy for you?

Also if windows 7 goes wrong, its on a virtual machine so I've got nothing to loose.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                  • Nov 2001
                  • 3.8.x

Testing purposes, I love getting betas and early versions of windows/linux/mac I haven't got mac on this machine but I have on another machine, But beings you like love Microsoft why would unix come in handy for you?

Also if windows 7 goes wrong, its on a virtual machine so I've got nothing to loose.
                  First off you can't really test any OS that is in Alpha effectively.
                  Most arent even designed to boot.

Windows 7 will also likely only be released right now as x64, possibly only x64 in all future releases also.
                  The same go's for Office 14, it wouldnt be a good idea to test that right now either, it simply to early..

I love Microsoft? I work for Microsoft.
                  I answered your Unix question above.

Firewall mostly..
                  I also do work which in certain situations requires strictly Unix...
                  MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                  Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• JakeS
                    • Jul 2005

First off you can't really test any OS that is in Alpha effectively.
                    Most arent even designed to boot.

Windows 7 will also likely only be released right now as x64, possibly only x64 in all future releases also.
                    The same go's for Office 14, it wouldnt be a good idea to test that right now either, it simply to early..

I love Microsoft? I work for Microsoft.
                    I answered your Unix question above.
                    64 bit is fine for me because I have an AMD athlon x64 4000+, I know how messed up its going to be but when you tested the beta's of windows vista you knew it wasn't going to be perfect, but I'm just curious to see how dumb it looks so far, I had windows vista at this early stage to.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                      • Nov 2001
                      • 3.8.x

64 bit is fine for me because I have an AMD athlon x64 4000+, I know how messed up its going to be but when you tested the beta's of windows vista you knew it wasn't going to be perfect, but I'm just curious to see how dumb it looks so far, I had windows vista at this early stage to.
                      Well thats good to hear, i don/t like AMD myself i am very happy with my dual Xeon Server.
                      I don/t plan on any hardware upgrades until summer..

I can/t comment on Windows 7 due to NDA's with Microsoft...
                      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• JakeS
                        • Jul 2005

Well thats good to hear, i don/t like AMD myself i am very happy with my dual Xeon Server.
                        I don/t plan on any hardware upgrades until summer..

I can/t comment on Windows 7 due to NDA's with Microsoft...
                        I don't like intel because every intel I've had went wrong, but everyone to their own.

Comment

• DirectPixel
                          • Jan 2002
                          • 3.5.x

How many Operating Systems do you run at the same time on the same computer?

I Run 5.

Windows XP Pro, Windows XP Pro x64, Windows 2000, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
                          I run one on my desktop, two on my laptop. Because that's all I need.

Windows XP Pro on desktop. It's a fresh install from about a month ago, configured for media serving. It's running SSH, Apache, and Remote Desktop. I use it primarily to access files remotely and remote desktop. I've also got it set up to stream music and video to my Wii downstairs.

Windows Vista Ultimate on my laptop. I use it mostly to VPN into my desktop. It's mostly used for Internet and Office, although I do have Photoshop and some development tools installed.

Windows XP Pro is the secondary OS for my laptop. I use this mainly for DJ'ing and doing audio production since there are driver and device incompatibilities with Vista. It's a bare-minimum XP install to maximize stability for when I'm spinning at clubs and stuff (laptop crashing in the middle of a party is bad).
                          :)

Comment

• DirectPixel
                            • Jan 2002
                            • 3.5.x

I don't like intel because every intel I've had went wrong, but everyone to their own.
                            How do you run a web host, then?
                            :)

Comment

• JakeS
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by DirectPixel
                              I run one on my desktop, two on my laptop. Because that's all I need.

Windows XP Pro on desktop. It's a fresh install from about a month ago, configured for media serving. It's running SSH, Apache, and Remote Desktop. I use it primarily to access files remotely and remote desktop. I've also got it set up to stream music and video to my Wii downstairs.

Windows Vista Ultimate on my laptop. I use it mostly to VPN into my desktop. It's mostly used for Internet and Office, although I do have Photoshop and some development tools installed.

Windows XP Pro is the secondary OS for my laptop. I use this mainly for DJ'ing and doing audio production since there are driver and device incompatibilities with Vista. It's a bare-minimum XP install to maximize stability for when I'm spinning at clubs and stuff (laptop crashing in the middle of a party is bad).
                              I could just image your laptop going wrong at a club all the music stops working and everyone would start moaning now thats funny (and all you got to say for your self is "Its frozen give it a minute or 5"

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...