vBulletin is not making any progress

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Maybe because they moved it into the archive the no permission pops up. Sorry if that's the case.

Comment

• LeeCHeSSS
      • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Floris
      Maybe because they moved it into the archive the no permission pops up. Sorry if that's the case.
      Nah, they don't even seem to be visible to me in the first place.

Comment

• RHarbison
        • Mar 2002

Originally posted by Anthony89
        If vBulletin disclosed everything it planned then it may discourage some people from renewing their $30 subscription or holding off. because they may realize it's not necessary to renew.
        Well $30 is a lot of money... That's nearly $2.50 per month! Why, with the money you'd save by not renewing you could buy a cheeseburger and fries at McD's every month! That would be a much better investment.

Come on folks, VB is top notch software and you're balking at spending $30 per year on it? If we want these guys to continue improving the program and adding new features we've got to support them.

Comment

• Colin F
          • May 2004

Yes, most likely you don't have permission to view that forum anymore.
          Best Regards
          Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• LeeCHeSSS
            • Jan 2002

Originally posted by RHarbison
            Well $30 is a lot of money... That's nearly $2.50 per month! Why, with the money you'd save by not renewing you could buy a cheeseburger and fries at McD's every month! That would be a much better investment.

Come on folks, VB is top notch software and you're balking at spending $30 per year on it? If we want these guys to continue improving the program and adding new features we've got to support them.
            Why would I pay 30 dollar if I am not guaranteed to get something out of it? It is hardly an amount I would worry about, but I'm not going to give it away without purpose

Comment

• Vile
              • Jul 2002
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by LeeCHeSSS
              Why would I pay 30 dollar if I am not guaranteed to get something out of it? It is hardly an amount I would worry about, but I'm not going to give it away without purpose
              It wouldn't be without purpose, it would be a guarantee that you have access to the latest version of vBulletin for that time being.
              Webmaster / Administrator
              www.MegaGames.com
              www.MGForums.com

Comment

• RHarbison
                • Mar 2002

I guess I figure that I am getting something out of it. Support forums, customer service, incremental upgrades, bug fixes and security patches. It's worth $30 per year to me to have a place where I can come and find answers to problems I'm having.

The amount of time I save by reading this forum when I have problems or am trying to figure out how to do something is worth $30 per year alone.

It's also nice to know that they are working to keep the software secure. Yes, I know, it would be better if there were no security exploits at all, but realistically speaking that's not a viable option.

So I'm happy I am getting something for what I spend. Sorry to hear you don't agree.

Comment

• 0ptima
                  • Jan 2002

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                  The IPS business model is very sound. Utilizing the existing forum infrastructure to deliver add-ons, it is a very efficent way of delivering products, en-mass on a short schedule and production timeframe. However my preference would be to have add-on products that could be dependent or independent of current infrastructure setup by vBulletin.

While old customers would be thrilled at the seamless integration, new customers may prefer simply the add on itself and not desire forums until much later.
                  Im sure that that all the products will require vbulletin as a core, after all they are add ons.

Comment

• JakeS
                    • Jul 2005

$30 a year is a fine price for me, but if it was say $160 a year I wouldn't renew.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                      • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Greps
                      I've had a look at it before, but I am in no way interested in a plain AJAX chat. what I want is an AJAX-powered IRC chat which flawlessly integrates with vBulletin. that would make me spend any amount of money on it.
                      You can't have it all. But more so, anything can integrate with vBulletin. It's just a matter of knowing how
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• LeeCHeSSS
                        • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Vile
                        It wouldn't be without purpose, it would be a guarantee that you have access to the latest version of vBulletin for that time being.
                        I don't see how that would be preferable to renewing WHEN and only WHEN there IS a new version I need to download.

Comment

• Vile
                          • Jul 2002
                          • 3.6.x

I don't see how that would be preferable to renewing WHEN and only WHEN there IS a new version I need to download.
                          It is simply one of the reasons worth upgrading, others were mentioned above by the other posters. (i.e. to support the software + staff in general)
                          All I was doing was clarifying, as response to you saying you are not "guaranteed to get something out of it" and it's "without purpose"

You are certainly welcome to your opinion and don't have to renew until there is a new release, but to go to the extreme and saying renewing is worthless, is a bit much. (At least IMO anyway)

Either way, to each their own
                          Webmaster / Administrator
                          www.MegaGames.com
                          www.MGForums.com

Comment

• LeeCHeSSS
                            • Jan 2002

So, as a comparison, you would also go into a clothing store and give them money without getting clothes in return, but would feel good about it, because one day they might have clothes you would want to have?

To each their own indeed, but I frankly don't understand your view

Comment

• Qryztufre
                              • Nov 2005
                              • 3.8.x

To each their own indeed, but I frankly don't understand your view
                              I hope you don't have a [donate now] button on your forum

Though honestly, while I'd likely update my license without question yearly, I'd not be overly upset if I ended up not needing it...

*shrug*

VB is worth it

Comment

• LeeCHeSSS
                                • Jan 2002

I'm not saying vBulletin is not worth the money, but Jelsoft is a business, not a charityfund. There is no logical reason in my eyes to give them money without getting something out of it. They have gotten a decent amount of me, and I got products and service in return. As soon as I require either again, they will get another 30 dollar

And yes, I do have a donate button on my forum, but my members get something out of my forum, namely a place to conduct roleplaying online. If they feel they want to share the costs of running the site, they may... (quite a difference from giving a commercial enterprise money because I like their products which may or may not arrive within a year).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...