• Oct 2000

[I might just ban perl scripts full stop [/B]
    Perl doesn't kill servers.

Bad perl scripts kill servers.
    Off-Road Forum

Comment

• Matt@ikonboard
      • Oct 2000

Being anal, Perl doesn't kill servers, bad perl doesn't kill servers. Lots of disk read/writes via CGI kills servers.

Even UBB admit that v6 is amazingly heavy on disk access, YaBB is the same. For what I remember, UBB6 needs to load 16 "modules" (using the term losely) no matter what it's about to do. Some functions require a total of 20 odd "modules" to be loaded. That's 20 disk reads before you've even started to use it's text file DB system.

The code design and work flow is nasty.

Comment

• Nicholas Brown
        • Oct 2000
        • 1.1.x

ok then, I shall change my above statement...

I am banning ubb on my servers

That better?

Comment

• tubedogg
          • Feb 2001

*runs off to get his UBB off Nick's servers*

Comment

• Nicholas Brown
            • Oct 2000
            • 1.1.x

Originally posted by tubedogg
            *runs off to get his UBB off Nick's servers*
            Nah, your ok as long as the load doesnt spike - but you shouldnt be running that trash - back to re-education for you

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

No response yet to this post on UBB Forums:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• BobHope
                • May 2001

No response yet to this post on UBB Forums:
                http://ubbforums.infopop.com/cgi-bi...c&f=27&t=001511
                "You have requested a topic that does not exist! Please use your browser's back button to return. "

HeHe..

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Originally posted by BobHope

"You have requested a topic that does not exist! Please use your browser's back button to return. "

HeHe..
                  Actually I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did - 1 or 2 hours.

I honestly don't understand how they can justify removing this message. It was an innocous request for a response to the growing number of web hosts that are banning UBB from their servers. What possible justification could they have for censoring this?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• BobHope
                    • May 2001

It must be for significant commercial reasons for not showing the post which has them worried else they could just dismiss the ban as an overreaction.

This does has serious implication for those paying their $199 then not finding the host(s) not allowing the use of the board. I wonder if they have a refund policy?
                    Last edited by BobHope; Fri 6 Jul '01, 10:54am.

Comment

• Tolitz
                      • Dec 2000

I agree ... it's not often that you see a company that is so close-minded as to try and disavow any negative feedback...
                      OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                      "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

• tubedogg
                        • Feb 2001

No they don't.

It's still only $199? That's what I paid last Sept. Maybe their price increase didn't affect all of the licenses.

Comment

• The Prohacker
                          • Apr 2001
                          • 3.8.x

Where are they 199??

I got a site admin thats still cussing cuz he paid 699 cuz he has 26 employees, and he is tring to sell his license but everytime he emails infopop to get permission they won't respond.......

Comment

• BobHope
                            • May 2001

I was going to purchase that forum for a heavy use website but chose VB on the bases of positive feedback here. As for negative feedback, I know of many companies that welcome both opinions to help to improve the product/service. But to that extent?

But there you are. I suspect any commercial company would want such a horrifying negative fact about their product to be kept "hidden" until a fix is brought forth for its user base.

Comment

• qasic
                              • May 2001

I just find it surprsing that Ventures Online won't just

1) have all UBBs disable their search features
                              2) see what 6.1 doees in terms of speed and modules [and yes, 6.1 is quite a fair bit more efficient in terms of I/O than 6.0x

Prohacker: For the company trying to sell their license, have you gotten them to phone Infopop directly instead? Sometimes phone calls speed things up drastically.

[edit]smachol: I found this thread discussing UBB @ VenturesOnline http://ubbforums.infopop.com/cgi-bin...c&f=5&t=001579 which still exists. Doesn't looks as if it has been deleted to me [/edit]

qasic
                              Last edited by qasic; Fri 6 Jul '01, 1:01pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                                • Jul 2000

For the morbidly curious among you, here's the UBBdev thread:

php, mysql, forums, bulletin boards, bbs, forum, ajax, javascript, graphics, internet, online, discussion groups, ubb, ultimate bulletin board, customize, perl, cgi, unix, nt, affordable, hacking, infopop, groupee, community, ultimatebb, scripts, programs, threads, topics, ubb chh, ubb.classic, ubb classic, ubb.threads, ubb threads

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...