Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KimmiKat
    • Jul 2003

Smiley list and Exploder

This might apply to all versions of vB, but what is the maximum number of smileys that can be in the smiley list (or maybe any webpage) before IE has a cow?

I'm on a board that has about 700 and people using Exploder have their browser start "flashing" and crash and burn after so many load.
    Kim
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

I, personally, think 700 smilies is too many but what ever works for your site. Anyway, I had no problem loading the smilies page for the forums in your signature in Internet Explorer 7. Took about 45 seconds. I think the people having issues are dealing with hardware issues more than software. Many people are using computers with a default amount of memory. If their computers are a couple of years old that can be as low as 128 MB of memory. Modern Windows OSes start performing well at 1 GB and hit their stride at 2 GB. This includes Windows XP SP2 - Home, Pro and definately Media Center.

Might try installing a couple of addons to help those people.

Smilie Categories - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107196
    Favorite Smilies - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123116
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• peterska2
      • Oct 2003
      • 3.7.x

I have had reports of the exact same thing happening on my site, so I use the smilie categories modification to break them up into smaller amounts to enable faster page loading and prevent IE falling over. Since it was installed I've had no complaints about the smilies page.

Comment

• KimmiKat
        • Jul 2003

It's not my site that has the issue. I should've stated that, but I hadn't had my mornng coffee yet!

It's another one I recently joined that has the problem. I normally use FF, but they were asking why Exploder has a cow when their list loads.

Link: BIG smilie list (May explode your Explorer!)
        Kim

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.8.x

loaded ok for me, 7 seconds.
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• peterska2
            • Oct 2003
            • 3.7.x

I'd suggest those modifications that Wayne linked to to them. For comparison, my smilie list which when you go to use a smilie is broken up into categories. Theres a forum that guests can post in if you need a demo for it too. (spammers paradise)

Comment

• KimmiKat
              • Jul 2003

Thanks, that did the trick for them.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              I, personally, think 700 smilies is too many but what ever works for your site. Anyway, I had no problem loading the smilies page for the forums in your signature in Internet Explorer 7. Took about 45 seconds. I think the people having issues are dealing with hardware issues more than software. Many people are using computers with a default amount of memory. If their computers are a couple of years old that can be as low as 128 MB of memory. Modern Windows OSes start performing well at 1 GB and hit their stride at 2 GB. This includes Windows XP SP2 - Home, Pro and definately Media Center.

Might try installing a couple of addons to help those people.

Smilie Categories - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107196
              Favorite Smilies - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123116
              That's pretty neat!

Originally posted by Kerry-Anne
              I'd suggest those modifications that Wayne linked to to them. For comparison, my smilie list which when you go to use a smilie is broken up into categories. Theres a forum that guests can post in if you need a demo for it too. (spammers paradise)
              Kim

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

The above addons could help those users having problems if the site owner has them installed. I didn't have a problem.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                  • Nov 2001
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by KimmiKat
                  Thanks, that did the trick for them.

That's pretty neat!
                  Wow, you sure got them installed fast..

Hope it helps everyone..

//edit//

Spoke to soon, it just crashed me, everything went black on that IE-7 Window..
                  Last edited by Joe Gronlund; Wed 21 Feb '07, 7:26am.
                  MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                  Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• KimmiKat
                    • Jul 2003

I just installed it a few minutes ago. They're new to vB so I took care of it.

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
                    Wow, you sure got them installed fast..

Hope it helps everyone..

//edit//

Spoke to soon, it just crashed me, everything went black on that IE-7 Window..
                    Kim

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...