Have you ever thought about Apple (Mac)?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AtlantisService
    • Jan 2005
    • 3.6.x

Have you ever thought about Apple (Mac)?

I've been thinking of switching to an Apple (Mac) for sometime now and with Intel ships in them, I've seen more software port over to them also. Their 64bit support also seems to be booming fast then the normal windows pc. But another reason would be Vista.

I've seen Windows Vista from its Alpha, Beta, RC1, RC2, and final build. I'm not impressed.

Hardware
    I have a new computer here which is less then 4 months old and I would have to replace the video card, printer, and web cam in order for them to work with Windows Vista (other then basic). I have another PC which is 7yrs old which could run Vista, but still would need to replace the video card.

7 years for this?
    We waited 7 years for this? Other then a few small new toys and the look of it. What really is new here? I already own 3rd party programs which can do what Vista does. I make my own DVD's, can encrypt my drive already, flip the desktop, make things look clear, and my system is fully secure (as windows can be).

We've been using Apple Pro's for the last year now within our company and I've got to say, I think I like the way Apple Computer is going. I've yet to buy one for personal use though. I think the last personal Apple I owned was the old Mac II.
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

I've gone apple November 2005, kept XP .. now I have Intel mac and 100% dropped windows. If I need windows I just run it in parallels. I am very happy that I moved to apple and doubt I will look back in regret.

Comment

• peterska2
      • Oct 2003
      • 3.7.x

I run primarily on Apple now. I still have an old windows laptop and a windows PC which I use simply as a file storage system, but 99% of my time I am using either my intel iMac or my MacBook. I only switched to using macs late last year, and I've not regretted the decision at all. If I can avoid windows now I will.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.8.x

I looked at an iPod once
        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Cromulent
          • Oct 2005
          • 3.8.x

I am writing this on a Mac Pro and I love the machine and the OS. It also has the advantage of being able to run XP SP2 / Vista if in the future there are any applications that you need that are still Windows only.

This is probably the most stable machine I have ever used in my life (beating Linux for ease of use). Even Windows runs better on it than a lot of PCs I have used in the past. Says a lot really.

Mac OS X is what makes Apple Macs great though, and if you invest in Parallels you have all bases covered.

Comment

• WurkAnimal
            • Aug 2005
            • 3.5.x

The only Apple products I've ever bought is the iPod's. I've had about 3 since they were ever released, I may buy a Macintosh very soon but I'm really not sure as I am a gamer.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

I switched from Apple to Windows when Windows 95 came out. Believe it or not, Windows is much more stable than the old Mac OS 7-9 series in my opinion. Still has a wide range of products not available to the Mac and more. I haven't seen any compelling reason to switch back. Haven't tried OS X but haven't had a need to either. It doesn't run many of the games my family enjoys and playing games through emulation is just crappy.

That and the fact that only one computer distributor sells Macintoshes locally and they require a minimum of 20 units before they will even talk to you is a hinderance. Otherwise, I have to drive to Los Angeles to even look at a Mac. There isn't even software available locally including at places like Best Buy.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Sergio68
                • May 2002
                • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Floris
                I've gone apple November 2005, kept XP .. now I have Intel mac and 100% dropped windows. If I need windows I just run it in parallels. I am very happy that I moved to apple and doubt I will look back in regret.
                Same for me, I've dropped windows in 2004, one of my best choices in my (working) life
                Just give it a try.

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
                I looked at an iPod once
                Italian Body Building & Fitness : www.BodyWeb.com
                Italian unofficial support Forum : www.vBulletin.it

Comment

• AWS
                  • Apr 2000
                  • 5.2.x

I run both. Have a g5 that is on 24/7, but, I rarely use any more. I think the last time I looked at that desktop was about 2 months ago. I bought it thinking I would make the switch permantly. For a while I was mesmerized by OSX. Now I find it annoying for some reason. Maybe the bubble gum look of it.
                  Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• Cromulent
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                    I switched from Apple to Windows when Windows 95 came out. Believe it or not, Windows is much more stable than the old Mac OS 7-9 series in my opinion. Still has a wide range of products not available to the Mac and more. I haven't seen any compelling reason to switch back. Haven't tried OS X but haven't had a need to either. It doesn't run many of the games my family enjoys and playing games through emulation is just crappy.
                    You do realise System 7 is over 11 years old right. That would be like me comparing Vista to Windows 95 and saying I would never run Windows Vista because Windows 95 was so god awful when it came to plug and play as well as many other things.

I do understand your point. But the statement about emulation is a not an issue now that the Intel Macs are out. You can run whatever programs you like completely natively.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

I do realize that however there hasn't been any need to think about switching is my point.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                        • Nov 2001
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by AWS
                        Maybe the bubble gum look of it.
                        Well if it annoys you, you could always chew it
                        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• KeithMcL
                          • Jun 2000
                          • 3.6.x

I'd love to buy a Mac. In my previous job I was trained to an advanced level on the Mac OS. I've always liked it. The only reason I haven't bought one is that they're too damn expensive here.

Comment

• TigerGuide
                            • Feb 2007

have you ever thought about Apple (Mac)?

Sure Have...I currently use one and LOVE everything about it. When my old Windows based Dell laptop died I spent 2 months researching laptops and chatting with a friend whom swears by Apple/Mac!!

Using windows-based programs at work and then going home to my beloved Apple G4 I am like "i'm hoooome" _lol.

For graphics, nothing can compare IMHO to apple.

TigerGuide

Comment

• Quillz
                              • Nov 2004
                              • 5.0.X

I think Macs are nice machines, but a little overpriced, in my opinion. I prefer PCs with Linux on them. I've been using various Linux distros since the beginning of the year now, and I prefer them to Windows more and more every day.

I would say if you have the money for an iMac, go ahead and get one. But as far as I'm concerned, you can just do so much more with a PC, in terms of physical hardware and the software. (In fact, you can even run Mac OS X on a PC using PearPC emulator, but I'm not sure on the legality of this.)
                              Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...