X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThorstenA
    • Nov 2004
    • 4.0.x

Originally posted by AWS
    As long as you buy before the offer end in June you'll be good. All you need is a valid Ultimate key.
    It isn't illegal or against Microsofts EULA to buy and install OEM versions. You can only install on one box. It is tied to the motherboard it is installed on. If you are planning on building a new box then don't get OEM for your current box. You will not be able to transfer it over.
    This is not true to some european countries. OEM versions are allowed to buy, sell and to change installation from one computer to another (not only tied to one motherboard).

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
      • Nov 2001
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ThorstenA
      This is not true to some european countries. OEM versions are allowed to buy, sell and to change installation from one computer to another (not only tied to one motherboard).
      Such as Germany?
      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• ThorstenA
        • Nov 2004
        • 4.0.x

maybe it's european law.
        Last edited by ThorstenA; Mon 5 Feb '07, 1:17pm.

Comment

• Colin F
          • May 2004

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
          Such as Germany?
          I think I read about a Swiss law regarding this as well.
          Best Regards
          Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
            • Nov 2001
            • 3.8.x

Me too, but i only heard about it referring to Germany, but i could be wrong..
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• chrispadfield
              • Aug 2000

Can someone perhaps answer this for me.

I am going to be building a new computer in a couple of months. I am however going to be visiting the US soon where it appears (surprise surprise) Vista is a lot cheaper.

I am think Ultimate is probably the one I should go for as this will be both a work and entertainment computer.

What I am wondering is whether I should go for an upgrade or for an OEM. I have a number of copies of Win XP/2000/98 etc.

Would the upgrade be transferrable to other computers but the OEM not? Can you get the cheap extra copies with Vista with both the OEM and Upgrade?
              Christopher Padfield
              Web Based Helpdesk
              DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• ThorstenA
                • Nov 2004
                • 4.0.x

As far as I know you'll need an *installed* XP to do a Vista UPGRADE. I'd pay extra for normal edition to install easier. ULTIMATE OEM costs 160 euro in european union, what's the price in usa?

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                  • Nov 2001
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by chrispadfield
                  Can someone perhaps answer this for me.

I am going to be building a new computer in a couple of months. I am however going to be visiting the US soon where it appears (surprise surprise) Vista is a lot cheaper.

I am think Ultimate is probably the one I should go for as this will be both a work and entertainment computer.

What I am wondering is whether I should go for an upgrade or for an OEM. I have a number of copies of Win XP/2000/98 etc.

Would the upgrade be transferrable to other computers but the OEM not? Can you get the cheap extra copies with Vista with both the OEM and Upgrade?
                  Whats legally meant to happen is OEM is meant to be installed on New OEM systems such as Dell, Custom built systems are meant to use Retail versions ($400-$499 ver Ultimate) or an upgrade version, with a legal pre-existing copy of a Windows Operating system....

That don't mean to say people don't buy and use OEM versions on Custom built systems, but as AWS said above, OEM has its limitations..
                  MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                  Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• ThorstenA
                    • Nov 2004
                    • 4.0.x

Difference between OEM and normal versions are microsoft support - and it's price. OEM - versions are also allowed to have a second copy running in virtual system.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                      • Nov 2001
                      • 3.8.x

A Microsoft representative confirmed that users may buy an OEM copy of Windows Vista at a substantial discount, provided they adhere to the terms of the license – which, incidentally, may mean providing support for family members.

In addition, users should still be subject to the same familiar re-activation restrictions as users of a retail Vista license and Windows XP, a spokeswoman said. Users can alter the PC's hardware substantially, but they will be forced to reactivate – not repurchase the OEM software – if they do, she said.

One system builder pointed out, however, that Microsoft's OEM license forbids the software from being transferred to a whole new machine, from scratch, once it is installed on the original target machine. "As AWS Pointed out"

OEM copies of Vista began showing up this week at e-tailers like Newegg.com, for substantial discounts, which can run up to half off the price of a standalone retail copy of Microsoft's Windows Vista operating system. Microsoft is also offering its own in-house discounts, in the form of a Vista Family Pack, which allows the purchase of up to two copies of Vista Home Premium for $49.99, provided that a customer buy Windows Vista Ultimate at full price, through retail.

For those who don't need a full manual, however, the Windows Vista OEM versions offer substantial savings. Normally, such versions are restricted to "System Builders," not large corporations purchasing thousands or even hundreds of copies of the operating systems through Microsoft's volume licensing programs, but small mom-and-pop computer shops building individual systems for local communities. The license is agreed to when the shrinkwrap the package is sealed into is broken.

Microsoft.com "extremetech"
                      Last edited by Joe Gronlund; Tue 6 Feb '07, 6:29am.
                      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Quillz
                        • Nov 2004
                        • 5.0.X

Originally posted by ThorstenA
                        As far as I know you'll need an *installed* XP to do a Vista UPGRADE. I'd pay extra for normal edition to install easier. ULTIMATE OEM costs 160 euro in european union, what's the price in usa?
                        You are supposed to have Win2000 or XP installed before you use the upgrade disc, although there are workarounds for a clean install.
                        Forums

Comment

• flora87
                          • Jan 2007
                          • 3.6.x

Does Firefox work on Vista?

No chance I am getting Vista until it does

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                            • Nov 2001
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by flora87

Firefox 2, yes..

What's New in Firefox 2.0.0.1
                            • Release Date: December 19, 2006
                            • Security Update: The following list of security issues have been fixed.
                            • Windows Vista Support: Windows Vista is generally supported with the following caveats.
                            • Firefox 2 What's New: For an overview of new features in Firefox 2, see the Firefox 2 Release Notes.
                            Last edited by Joe Gronlund; Wed 7 Feb '07, 7:03am.
                            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Quillz
                              • Nov 2004
                              • 5.0.X

Originally posted by flora87

I can use Firefox 2.0.0.1 just fine. The other popular browsers, like Maxthon and Opera, also work fine. Note that a lot of XP programs still work on Vista, but not as well until official drivers are released.
                              Forums

Comment

• WurkAnimal
                                • Aug 2005
                                • 3.5.x

I'm going to use Internet Explorer as it' kinda cool :P

But now I just have to wait until drivers are out for it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...