Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

AN UNOFFICIAL vBCMS Feature WISH List

DISCLAIMER: This does not in ANYWAY CONFIRM OR INDICATE Jelsoft has a CMS in development. THIS DOES NOT SIGNIFY AN OFFICIAL FEATURE LIST EITHER.

The purpose of this thread is to merely get a list of features we would like to see SHOULD there be a decision by Jelsoft to begin developing a CMS. Hopefully when and if the time comes a CMS is formally decided and announced, this list could be taken under advisement and used to a dream CMS

Please format it in the following style
    • REQUESTED FEATURE - Description about feature if needed
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

For me, some of the most needed features
    • Integration with vBulletin
    • Can act as a standalone product
    • Ability to have multiple installations of vBCMS
    • Custom, Flexible Fields - ability to customize fields so each content section can be customized fully
    • File Manager
    • Layout Controls
    • Hooks and Plugins
    • Possible User Management? - Possible system like Converge to manage and distribute users across multiple installations of vBulletin and vBCMS??
    Last edited by ManagerJosh; Thu 25 Jan '07, 1:48am.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Cromulent
      • Oct 2005
      • 3.8.x

The most important feature for me is Media. Video and audio tools to enable easy uploading and storage of video and audio files.

Comment

• JakeS
        • Jul 2005

A Cheap price of around 500 - 600

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

Originally posted by JakeS
          A Cheap price of around 500 - 600
          Not a feature.

Originally posted by manager josh
          • Integration with vBulletin
          • Can act as a standalone product
          I think if Jelsoft releases any product besides the forum software, it should at least integrate; personally for me this is a given. And to keep the price low I can imagine it won't be released as a stand alone product, but requires vbulletin to be installed.

More about what a CMS is; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_management_system

Comment

• ManagerJosh
            • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Floris
            Not a feature.

I think if Jelsoft releases any product besides the forum software, it should at least integrate; personally for me this is a given. And to keep the price low I can imagine it won't be released as a stand alone product, but requires vbulletin to be installed.

More about what a CMS is; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_management_system
            I think it would be an unwise business move to force users to buy a vBulletin license when they don't need it, but only merely need a CMS.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
              • Sep 2001

I think offering a full fledged CMS built on the architecture of vbulletin that can run stand alone or integrated would really help boost sales.

I'd like to see:
              • A versatile way to post content such as reviews, news, or "blogs" with Custom Fields and Catagories + ability to save drafts, etc.
              • Basic Wiki like pages were members can add / edit based on usergroup (roles) permissions. bbcode enabled.
              • Enhanced Calendar features as mentioned in a few threads (I'd even support removing the calendar from the basic forum package and moving to the vbcms)
              Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• MGM
                • Aug 2002
                • 3.6.x

Some things I'd like to see:

Template System - An absolute must for me. vB's template system is near perfect, and I have yet to find a CMS that matches it.
                Ability to run multiple sites - By this, I mean something like how filefront.com has halflife.filefront.com as well as unreal.filefront.com ... As in, being able to create a site and have "sub-sites" each of which has their own content, admin, etc. Although I'm sure this would be a problem on Jelsoft's end (considering they don't allow it for vB).
                Expansive downloads/uploads system - Something far more extensive than vB's current downloads/uploads system. For example the ability to setup download folders with different file types (like a videos folder for videos, a music folder for music, etc.... each with it's own sub-folders), ability to upload images easily and use them anywhere on our site (in articles, as thumbnails on the front page, user-uploaded pictures, etc.), and the ability for user-uploaded content.

Speaking of user-uploaded:
                Ability to easily setup user-generated content - What with user content being the big thing on the web these days, why not extend it to the CMS end? Something like Digg or Wikipedia, but perhaps not as thorough.

MGM out

Comment

• RedTyger
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                  I think it would be an unwise business move to force users to buy a vBulletin license when they don't need it, but only merely need a CMS.
                  I disasgree. I think it would be unwise not to.

For similar reasons of being "wise" I'd like to see the feature-list kept reasonably scant, but with high scalability, usability and moddability. Just a CMS, not a website in a box. TBH if Jelsoft ever does anything along those lines I'd be surprised if they did different to what I've just said, their attitude has been much the same thusfar and has done them enormous credit.

Comment

• JakeS
                    • Jul 2005

A feature that makes it so that if you download a trial version it will activate into the full version if a valid key in entered.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                      • Jun 2002

Originally posted by RedTyger
                      I disasgree. I think it would be unwise not to.

For similar reasons of being "wise" I'd like to see the feature-list kept reasonably scant, but with high scalability, usability and moddability. Just a CMS, not a website in a box. TBH if Jelsoft ever does anything along those lines I'd be surprised if they did different to what I've just said, their attitude has been much the same thusfar and has done them enormous credit.
                      I'd be interested in hearing your logic on why a customer would be willing to buy both vBCMS and vBulletin when all they are interested in is the CMS itself.

It seems illogical to force a customer to buy two solutions just to gain functionality for one they know they will use.

Comment

• JakeS
                        • Jul 2005

I'd be interested in hearing your logic on why a customer would be willing to buy both vBCMS and vBulletin when all they are interested in is the CMS itself.

It seems illogical to force a customer to buy two solutions just to gain functionality for one they know they will use.
                        Coming From A Customer Point of view: If I wanted to purchase "vBCMS" and I was forced to also buy vbulletin if I never needed it, I would not buy vBCMS, because why should i purchase vbulletin if I only wanted the vBCMS?

Comment

• RedTyger
                          • Dec 2006
                          • 3.8.x

I didn't mean it from the customer point of view.

Comment

• someuser190826
                            • Oct 2002
                            • 4.0.x

Originally posted by RedTyger
                            I didn't mean it from the customer point of view.
                            I am sure from a company's point of view they wouldn't want to lose out on a huge chunk of customers...sooooo which point of view are you talking about?

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                              • Jun 2002

Originally posted by MGM
                              Some things I'd like to see:

Template System - An absolute must for me. vB's template system is near perfect, and I have yet to find a CMS that matches it.
                              Ability to run multiple sites - By this, I mean something like how filefront.com has halflife.filefront.com as well as unreal.filefront.com ... As in, being able to create a site and have "sub-sites" each of which has their own content, admin, etc. Although I'm sure this would be a problem on Jelsoft's end (considering they don't allow it for vB).
                              Expansive downloads/uploads system - Something far more extensive than vB's current downloads/uploads system. For example the ability to setup download folders with different file types (like a videos folder for videos, a music folder for music, etc.... each with it's own sub-folders), ability to upload images easily and use them anywhere on our site (in articles, as thumbnails on the front page, user-uploaded pictures, etc.), and the ability for user-uploaded content.

Speaking of user-uploaded:
                              Ability to easily setup user-generated content - What with user content being the big thing on the web these days, why not extend it to the CMS end? Something like Digg or Wikipedia, but perhaps not as thorough.

MGM out
                              I think you hit it dead on MGM. User generated content seems to be the way things are heading.

I'd also like to see CMS to be like a platform almost, where we could construct multiple systems if possible, like galleries, link managers, blogs. This way multiple projects are achieved with just one.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...