Cocktail books, would (have) you buy one?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • il-logical
    • Oct 2006

Cocktail books, would (have) you buy one?

I’m trying to figure out who buys a cocktail/bartending book. I know that many sell each year but I can’t figure out who is buying them.

Does a cocktail book that has a large variety of soda-pop cocktails sound appealing to anyone?
  • MRGTB
    • May 2005

Sorry, I drink larger!

Comment

• fusion2
      • Nov 2006
      • 3.6.x

The New New York Bartender's Guide

Each drink has a picture (awesome pictures) in a specific glass designed for that drink. Has everything you will ever need.

But, if your just learning basics, then this is a little hard as it focuses on quality drinks. Like using fresh ingredients instead of mixes. Or making drinks with multiple ingrients instead of just rum and coke etc.

But its an awesome book!

The Official Harvard Student Agencies Bartending Course, 3rd Edition

This second book is perfect for beginners. Talks about making simple drinks and categorizes them into groups so they are easier to remember. This is perfect for students wanting to go into bartending and not knowing much about alcohol or drinks.

But, it has no color photos, only drawings of the types of glassware. And not a lot of recipies. Just the most common stuff that 95% of people order (ie. rum and coke, butternipples, jager bombs, martini etc).

Conclusion:

Get the first if you want to learn high quality drinks (think beverely hills types) and learn many drinks and see actual color photos of each etc.

Buy second book if you just want a simple crash course on most common drinks.

Comment

• fusion2
        • Nov 2006
        • 3.6.x

Personally, i bought both of those books. The new york book cause it had lots of fancy drinks and loved the quality of the book (awesome photos!).

But the recipes are as complicated as a fancy cook book.

So then i bought the second one when i wanted to learn to bartend.

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

Great links, I have some great cocktail ideas now

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...