• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Comtech
    Banned
    • Nov 2004
    • 3.6.x

vBulletin 2.3.0 versus the latest

Ok, I actually run the latest version of Vbulletin. The reason of this thread is to ask you to name great features (not bloat ware) that are in the latest versus 2.3.0

I am doing this so I can go back to a site I visit and offer them a detailed list of features that may help their forum.

They are also worried about there being a larger database requirement. But if they are running a board with 2,000+ members then I would believe their host would hold up just fine.
  • filburt1
    • Feb 2002

3.6, and indeed the 3.x series, is essentially a complete rewrite. While the two are incompatible excluding data importing from 2.3 to 3.6, the technical requirements are largely the same.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• simsim
      • Nov 2005
      • 3.6.x

I wanted to do some copy/paste from the changelog in the Members' Area, but realized it's too huge that it would be useless to post.

Unless their 2.3.0 vB is hugely modified, I cannot see a single reason why they don't upgrade to the latest version! It's like someone who don't want to upgrade from Windows 3.1 to WindowsXP, that is not say from MS-DOS!
      You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• filburt1
        • Feb 2002

Just because you can upgrade doesn't mean you should. If your forum is running 2.3 and it works fine for you, there's no reason to upgrade.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• simsim
          • Nov 2005
          • 3.6.x

Define "works fine for you".

Comment

• Comtech
            Banned
            • Nov 2004
            • 3.6.x

How about a top ten list of new features you find worth the upgrade?

I know each member will have a different top ten list...but it may help. They are trying to revision their community, to bring vigor back and I would like to help them. One thing I honestly feel they are in need of is an upgrade to the latest.

I just need to convince them that it really isn't "Fat" and is worth upgrading to.

I can't name a top ten, but I do personally like the Plugin system.

Comment

• simsim
              • Nov 2005
              • 3.6.x

New features in vB 3:

New features in 3.5:

New features in 3.6:

I think if you just let them review the above links, it would make them very eager to upgrade.

Comment

• Cromulent
                • Oct 2005
                • 3.8.x

If it ain't broken don't fix it.

Comment

• ChipTz
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Cromulent
                  If it ain't broken don't fix it.
                  Hummm... I don't think I can agree with this. What operative system are you running on your PC? Was the previous one broken?

I don't know if vBulletin still supports 2.x versions, I don't think it does. This only would be a reason to upgrade.

Comment

• simsim
                    • Nov 2005
                    • 3.6.x

Everyone who's defending this approach is already running latest version! If people shouldn't upgrade because their 2.3.0 (or any other older version) forum is "working fine" or "ain't broken", then why Jelsoft had developed new versions in the first place?

Comment

• MRGTB
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Discussions
                      Ok, I actually run the latest version of Vbulletin. The reason of this thread is to ask you to name great features (not bloat ware) that are in the latest versus 2.3.0

I am doing this so I can go back to a site I visit and offer them a detailed list of features that may help their forum.

They are also worried about there being a larger database requirement. But if they are running a board with 2,000+ members then I would believe their host would hold up just fine.
                      To be honest I thought a little about this the other day. I read members talking about the latest version of vBulletin having a lot more features to use than vBulletin 2. But then I started to see when sites get really busy, they start turning off all these extra features that later versions of vBulletin has to speed there boards up and save on server resources.

Which kind of defeats things a little, meaning they could have used vBulletin 2 without them in the first place, and they wouldn't have needed to turn them off.

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

version 2 : small text editor
                        version 3 : wysiwyg editor

version 2 : modcp/
                        version 3 : inline moderation

version 2 : page loads, page loads, page loads
                        version 3 : ajax where handy

version 2 : no spell checker
                        version 3 : spell checker option

version 2 : simple template editor
                        version 3 : enhanced template editor

version 2 : text == text
                        version 3 : text == phrases, allowing unlimited translations

version 2 : optimized for old apache/php/mysql
                        version 3 : optimized for the latest stable releases

version 2 : less feature for $160
                        version 3 : a lot more, with better code, optimized code, more options, more features, .. for still $160

etc
                        etc

Comment

• phill2003
                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Discussions

What I dont understand is why you feel the need to pressurise a site you visit to change to a version of vbulletin that YOU want them to.

What has it got to do with you what they run? I am quite sure that if they run a website that they are more than capable of making a rational decision as to what software they run on it and what they dont.

Perhaps you would be better advised to let them run and operate their site as they see fit......

Comment

• Quillz
                            • Nov 2004
                            • 5.0.X

To put it simply, vB 3 is better than vB 2 is just about every possible way.
                            Forums

Comment

• JakeS
                              • Jul 2005

Another thing you could tell them, easier customization, example: Import Product in 3, Go through editing files and files in 2.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...