Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

Originally posted by rnmcd
    Will vBulletin turn over my license information to her just based upon her request?
    No.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• dtg-forums
      • Jan 2007
      • 3.6.x

Some situations demand it...

Originally posted by filburt1
      If you need to ask the question, you shouldn't create the site.
      I disagree. There have been many reprisals on people running controversial web sites... particularly when you start messing with revenue streams -- such as in the case of ANTI-SPAM sites. Terrorists, identity thieves and Illegal Drug cartels have embraced the web as a primary revenue source. Much of it is run by extremists or organized crime who would think nothing of killing you if they could find you.

Remember what happened to Green Frog.

Why do you think so many criminals run their operations through foreign servers and take so much effort in masking their identities and locations. It works the same way for 'honest' web sites, except the "good guys" either don't have the nerve, or haven't figured out yet how to elude all inquiries.

:-) I'd be very careful.

Fred
      Last edited by dtg-forums; Wed 24 Jan '07, 6:02am.

Comment

• dtg-forums
        • Jan 2007
        • 3.6.x

Easy subpoena

Any suggestions to what I may want to do next? How easily can she subpoena me? Will vBulletin turn over my license information to her just based upon her request?
        That individual would have to file a complaint, civil or criminal suit. Then the magistrate (or judge) would have to find merit enough to move with the suit. ONE out of 1,000 subpoena are pure bluff or talk. I've been threatened by lawyers many times, (even by some pretty big players) and responded with "Bring'em on" or some such. They've never been heard from again.

Likewise, I've filed several times on web site owners, only to be turned away by the bench each and every time.

Your case doesn't sound like one that would make it into the courts... at least without a LOT of money. A LOT. So I wouldn't worry. If you're the boss of your forums, turn that person off.

Fred

Comment

• rnmcd
          • Aug 2004
          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by dtg-forums

Likewise, I've filed several times on web site owners, only to be turned away by the bench each and every time.
          For what type of reasons have you felt it necessary to pursue legal action against a site owner?

Comment

• JakeS
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by fusion2
            Thats sort of stupid as you wont be able to object to a domain name transfer. With internic or your domain company unable to identify you as the owner and contact you, they would probably forfeit the domain name.
            Which is why I personally don't give a damn about hiding my self from the internet well credit cards and stuff I hide but who doesn't? I wouldn't want my credit card to go all over the world to everyone and neither would you..

Comment

• rnmcd
              • Aug 2004
              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by dtg-forums
              If you're the boss of your forums, turn that person off.

I tried to do that...she threatened me with a subpoena when I attempted to remove her from the forums.

Comment

• Zonex
                • Dec 2004

I tried to do that...she threatened me with a subpoena when I attempted to remove her from the forums.
                More reason to ban her.

Comment

• rnmcd
                  • Aug 2004
                  • 3.5.x

I can't afford a lawyer.

Comment

• Zonex
                    • Dec 2004

Well at least you learned a lesson. Pay a little extra when buying a domain. If you have already registered it under your name there's not much you can do except remove yourself as an administrator without access to the data and let someone else take it over anonymously. Katz Global is the way to go for 100% anonymity...all you divulge is an email address.

Comment

• rnmcd
                      • Aug 2004
                      • 3.5.x

It took a while longer than I thought it would but I was finally sued.

It doesn't look like I can contest this. They (Righthaven) won a judgement. I didn't even get a cease and desist.

I had never heard of RightHaven until now.

Here's some info:
                      We’ve written a couple of times about RightHaven, the new operation set up by the publisher of the Las Vegas Journal Review to shakedown any site that reposts its stories. There were some odd…

I'm looking into Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
                      Last edited by rnmcd; Thu 16 Dec '10, 1:31pm. Reason: removed amount of settlement because they could probably figure out how to track me even more

Comment

• Shamil.
                        • Feb 2008
                        • 4.2.X

It took a while longer than I thought it would but I was finally sued.

It doesn't look like I can contest this. They (Righthaven) won a judgement. I didn't even get a cease and desist.

I had never heard of RightHaven until now.

Here's some info:
                        We’ve written a couple of times about RightHaven, the new operation set up by the publisher of the Las Vegas Journal Review to shakedown any site that reposts its stories. There were some odd…

I'm looking into Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
                        Oh no. Not Righthaven again....
                        Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                        VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                        vBulletin Hosting and Services
                        Server / Website Consultation

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...