Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phill2003
    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by rnmcd
    If I start up a site that some may deem 'controversial' I would prefer that someone doesn't stop by to shoot me.

ROFL I can see how that would put a dampner on your day....

Originally posted by filburt1
    If you need to ask the question, you shouldn't create the site.
    Dont be soft, people get upset about the most innocuous things these days and what you deem controversial does not mean others do, So I think the question is a valid one. Look at the recent issue with the site that was shut for a few hours, turns out they had done nothing wrong but people objected to it so much it got shut down.

Or do you live your life not saying or doing anything in case it upsets someone else?
    Last edited by phill2003; Mon 15 Jan '07, 12:50am.

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

If you want to start a site and you know people might come after you in real life, I would think twice before starting such a site. Also ask legal help from a law firm and investigate how you can remain within the laws. And then simply don't break the law.

Comment

• JakeS
        • Jul 2005

Well, I've found the best working solution to all of this: FALSE details when you buy stuff.

Example: Street you live on
        45 Fake Road
        Postcode ROF LMAO
        etc

Comment

• TygerTyger
          • Aug 2005
          • 3.6.x

That's illegal. It only works until someone sees it and goes "Hey, what is this..."

Comment

• rnmcd
            • Aug 2004
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by phill2003

Look at the recent issue with the site that was shut for a few hours, turns out they had done nothing wrong but people objected to it so much it got shut down.
            Who shut it down?

My site has been running only 4 weeks and just today an attorney contacted me about something that a registered member said about them on the site.

How badly can I be sued?

Comment

• fusion2
              • Nov 2006
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Bob Isaac
              Read the attachment.

Bob
              In the case of UK, you would want to become incorporated and then register the website under the corporation, allowing the members of the corporation to remain anonymous to general public.

Comment

• fusion2
                • Nov 2006
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by JakeS
                Well, I've found the best working solution to all of this: FALSE details when you buy stuff.

Example: Street you live on
                45 Fake Road
                Postcode ROF LMAO
                etc

Thats sort of stupid as you wont be able to object to a domain name transfer. With internic or your domain company unable to identify you as the owner and contact you, they would probably forfeit the domain name.

Comment

• fusion2
                  • Nov 2006
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by phill2003
                  Dont be soft, people get upset about the most innocuous things these days and what you deem controversial does not mean others do, So I think the question is a valid one.

I agree.

For example, If you were pro-abortion and wanted to discuss your views on your forum, chances are some religious fanatics will threaten your safety and possibly cause you harm.

So obviously one would want to remain anonymous to some extent.

Comment

• fusion2
                    • Nov 2006
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                    We'd divulge information to the appropriate authorities when they request it but never to anyone else.

Hopefully you have such requests go through your attorney in writing?

The law enforcement community frequently tries to wave constitutional rights by getting businesses to consent based on verbal agreement. Businesses often assume because they are an authority they wouldnt bend the rules or break laws.

So hopefully for the integrity of our private data, you have a formal policy that such requests be submitted in writing through your attorney. If not, then you will be liable for breach of privacy by providing a third party access to our confidential information.

Comment

• Zonex
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by rnmcd
                      Is it possible to run a website and not have anyone know who owns the site?
                      Check out Katz Global. Not only do they refuse to take any personal information they can also do it offshore in low jurisdiction countries. They only take cash by mail, gold or other untraceables .

Comment

• Zonex
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                        We'd divulge information to the appropriate authorities when they request it but never to anyone else.
                        I hope you mean when compelled by the courts.

Comment

• Zonex
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by filburt1
                          If you need to ask the question, you shouldn't create the site.
                          You just made my jaw hit the floor. Step out of your bubble for a minute and imagine the many reasons why someone would want anonymity.

Comment

• Bob Isaac
                            • Dec 2005
                            • 3.8.x

Accountability is the reason that web sites should be correctly documented with the details of the owner etc., so that in the event of litigation or other reason the due process or enquiry can take place.

It is similar to the need to correctly register your car. The details are not publicly available but in the event of any need the owner can be traced.

Those that choose to live outside the law do so for a purpose, and the rest of society has to suffer (and pay for) their reckless actions.

Bob

Comment

• Zonex
                              • Dec 2004

Bad analogy. The internet is a communication medium. Nothing like a car.
                              Just like I can dial a *67 on my phone when I don't want to appear on a caller ID.

Comment

• rnmcd
                                • Aug 2004
                                • 3.5.x

I'm the OP

Just like I anticipated, there is someone that is basically ruining my board so I made a post that politely said that she please curtail the negative posts...

Here was her reply:

Also under law I can also subpoena the records of this forum if needed to see if any city representatives are abusing the forum under assumed names or more than one identity. Even if it is not the officials personally if any of the identities are related to a official,or friends there could still be repercussions!
                                Any suggestions to what I may want to do next?

How easily can she subpoena me?

Will vBulletin turn over my license information to her just based upon her request?
                                Last edited by rnmcd; Tue 23 Jan '07, 7:11am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...