X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobAC
    • Jan 2001
    • 3.8.x

Rendering Web Pages Depending on Screen Resolution

Does anyone know of any scripts or how to render web page layouts depending on browser resolution just like Yahoo does?
    Rob
  • Neal-UK
    • Feb 2004

This is down to a users screen resolution isn't it? Nothing to do with the website? I could be way off mark....
    [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

Comment

• RobAC
      • Jan 2001
      • 3.8.x

yes, just like Yahoo. Yahoo's page adjusts depending on your screen resolution.
      Rob

Comment

• merk
        • Jul 2001

You will need to use javascript to redirect the user to a page with a new variable in the url like page.php?resolutionx=1024&resolutiony=768

Comment

• Quillz
          • Nov 2004
          • 5.0.X

I thought you could just use a fluid-style layout with CSS, like how vB is set up to fill, say, 80% of a user's resolution.
          Forums

Comment

• KeithMcL
            • Jun 2000
            • 3.6.x

Try this on for size:

Particletree is the beginning of something. This place, this collection of knowledge, is a gathering of forces, a sharpening of skills.

Comment

• simsim
              • Nov 2005
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Quillz
              I thought you could just use a fluid-style layout with CSS, like how vB is set up to fill, say, 80% of a user's resolution.
              vB liquid style just occupies the available space. What if you want to show a sidebar to users with 1024x768 resolution & hide it from users who're using 800x600? You would then want to do some JS coding.
              You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• fusion2
                • Nov 2006
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Quillz

Thats what i would recommend, unless you want fixed objects (ie. the logo and other stuff) to change proportionately to the screen resolution.

The problem is that you create a lot of duplicate work doing that. Lots of testing in different resolutions etc.

Just put a message on your site saying "Best Viewed at 800x600 resolution" etc. Then use CSS with auto-expanding layers/tables. And you can always add a link that will change their screen resolution automatically, they just have to hit save etc).

These days statistics show that most home-users are using 1024x768 resolution. The days of 800x600 are long gone, now that computer screens have gotten larger (ie. 17inch or larger).

Comment

• filburt1
                  • Feb 2002

Create your design without resolution in mind, other than some reasonable minimum of 800 x 600 or a better 1024 x 780. Remember users can resize fonts, resize their browser, surround the viewport with panels, etc. You have little control over what to display given their settings.
                  --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                  Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                  vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment