Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MGM
    • Aug 2002
    • 3.6.x

From what I've heard, the Xbox 360 IPTV is still in it's infancy, and actually requires, I believe, AT&T to use it (as a service provider), and it still requires a separate set-top box apparently. But those are rumors atm. I'd say wait and see what Microsoft announces about it a little closer to launch before making any kind of decision between Apple TV and Xbox 360 IPTV.

MGM out

Comment

• tgillespie
      • Dec 2002
      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Radon3k
      GPRS/EDGE isn't nearly as bad as 1xRTT on Verizon/Sprint which is still prevalent in many areas. I currently live in a GPRS/EDGE network area and the speeds are far faster than when I had Verzion and used 1xRTT. Granted, 3G is faster however we don't have it just yet.
      You cannot stream media with EDGE speeds. Both Verizon and Sprint are rolling out 1xEV-DO a lot faster than Cingular and T-Mobile can build their 3G. Even browsing the net at 14kbps these days is a pain in the butt.
      Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• Dean C
        • Mar 2002
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by chrispadfield
        Looks nice but $600 + 2 year contract and only 2MP camera no 3G and I don't think GPS and not out in Europe until Q4.

Nice, but dosen't quite tick all the boxes especially considering the price.
        Why does it need 3G when it has built-in-wifi
        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Quillz
          • Nov 2004
          • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Dean C
          Because Wi-Fi really only affects Internet speeds. With 3G, you also get video calling and overall faster data transfer.
          Forums

Comment

• ManagerJosh
            • Jun 2002

Seems like Apple wants to take a bite out of Microsoft's Media Centre market
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Dean C
              • Mar 2002
              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Quillz
              Because Wi-Fi really only affects Internet speeds. With 3G, you also get video calling and overall faster data transfer.
              I'd choose wifi over that any day.
              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• tgillespie
                • Dec 2002
                • 3.7.x

Because cell phone companies are willing to develop their network in the most locations possible to gain the most amount of customers possible. Wifi where I live isnt publically available like some metro areas. Even those are limited. I could care less if my device has Wifi if I'm receiving 3G.
                Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• Quillz
                  • Nov 2004
                  • 5.0.X

I'd choose wifi over that any day.
                  As would I.
                  Forums

Comment

• chrispadfield
                    • Aug 2000

Why would you care about wifi if you can have 3g and a sensible data plan. 3g has factors better coverage than wifi.
                    Christopher Padfield
                    Web Based Helpdesk
                    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• Radon3k
                      • Nov 2001

Originally posted by tgillespie
                      You cannot stream media with EDGE speeds. Both Verizon and Sprint are rolling out 1xEV-DO a lot faster than Cingular and T-Mobile can build their 3G. Even browsing the net at 14kbps these days is a pain in the butt.
                      AT&T is actually the ones who began setting up the UMTS network. Cingular took over and instead of continuing with UMTS, they started setting up HSDPA networks. Even though Cingular is going back to AT&T, the HSDPA network setup will continue.

The other nice feature about 3G is the ability to use both voice and data at the same time. Of course this will drain the battery much quicker but it's still a nice feature.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...