X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chousho
    • Jan 2004
    • 3.8.x

Old Playstation 2 Fun - Suggestions?

Some time ago I was getting major DREs (Disc Read Errors) from my clunky PS2. Now, I bought it used, and figured I got a good year and a half out of it, so I bought one of the new, sexy thin ones.

However, for the reason that I was just bored, I wound up taking apart my old one. After some alcohol on the disc reader and some careful adjustment (read: adjusting since yesterday to get it at the right angle), my old PS2 finally works again.

So rather than have 2 of them kicking around, I thought maybe I could have some fun with this one. I have a Network Adaptor that allows me to connect to the Internet as well as add a hard drive as well.

Considering the potential here (along with USB ports and I think a firewire one), I was looking to play around, but am kind of lost.

So, anyone familiar with console modding or the like?
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Nope, none at all. I had the ps1 modded, but never had a console after that. Always played on the pc, going to get x360 soon though.

Comment

• filburt1
      • Feb 2002

If you have an Xbox, sell the PS2 and use the money to offset the cost of modding the Xbox. Xbox modding > PS2 modding > Gamecube modding (which is completely useless).
      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• MGM
        • Aug 2002
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by filburt1
        If you have an Xbox, sell the PS2 and use the money to offset the cost of modding the Xbox. Xbox modding > PS2 modding > Gamecube modding (which is completely useless).
        Agreed, Xbox modding is far easier and more useful. I had a friend who modded his Xbox, put in a 120GB hard drive, a ton of emulators and roms, some homebrew games, heck he was even able to install Linux (although I don't know how far he got, as he formatted a few days later).

MGM out

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Floris
          Nope, none at all. I had the ps1 modded, but never had a console after that. Always played on the pc, going to get x360 soon though.
          Ordered it yesterday, should be here in 12 hours.

x360 premium with Gears of War
          Wifi Network Adapter
          12 months gold membership
          and free 2100 marketplace points

Yay, 600 euro for 1 game so not worth it. but ok

Comment

• Chousho
            • Jan 2004
            • 3.8.x

Ordered it yesterday, should be here in 12 hours.

x360 premium with Gears of War
            Wifi Network Adapter
            12 months gold membership
            and free 2100 marketplace points

Yay, 600 euro for 1 game so not worth it. but ok
            Oh, GoW, I heard about it on a blog done by some guys on another forum I go to. I think there was one thing like the "curb stomp" you could do? Sounded kind of bloody, haha.

Anyway, I'm keeping the PS2, not selling for a XBox (not yet anyway). I found that there was a Linux kit Sony was selling a while ago, so I'll see if I can find one somewhere.
            Last edited by Chousho; Fri 12 Jan '07, 5:36pm.

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

I was excited getting the xbox360, but after turning it on I wasn't too impressed. The feeling I had when I first played my games on the first playstation .. totally missing. I feel I paid $600 total for something that's really not worth more then $299 tops.

Comment

• Chousho
                • Jan 2004
                • 3.8.x

I was excited getting the xbox360, but after turning it on I wasn't too impressed. The feeling I had when I first played my games on the first playstation .. totally missing. I feel I paid $600 total for something that's really not worth more then $299 tops.
                I've heard this a bit, actually. I can't see the need to spend around half a grand for what I feel is just an updated system. Aside from Nintendo's controller, there isn't so much innovation as there was going from SNES era to PSX era. I guess the medium change may have had a say in that as well.

I'll most likely be going with a Wii as it's the cheapest one so far, and I like the controller feel after trying it out at EB. Although I've heard it doesn't support DVD playback for movies, etc?

In regards to the PS2 (and to keep it on topic), I found that there is a bug that can be taken advantage of with a memory card and an old PSX game (or Swap Disc), so I'll be looking at maybe seeing if that works. At the very least, it'd be cool to hook up an AP and use it to stream or dump files between my desktop and laptop.

Comment

• filburt1
                  • Feb 2002

The Wii doesn't support DVD playback nor is it likely it'll be added via a firmware update.

I have a DVD player for DVD playback. I don't know why people are so interested in a console for playing movies when there's a $20 device that'll do a better job.
                  --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                  Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                  vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Greps
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 3.6.x

did you hook it up to a tv which doesn't support HD or something? I've always thought that 360+GoW+nice big HDTV would look astonishing

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

I don't have $2000 extra to just play gow.
                      And HD content in the NL is baby shoes.. only like 4 channels and 1 movie channel. totally worthless.

Comment

• Vile
                        • Jul 2002
                        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by MGM
                        Agreed, Xbox modding is far easier and more useful. I had a friend who modded his Xbox, put in a 120GB hard drive, a ton of emulators and roms, some homebrew games, heck he was even able to install Linux (although I don't know how far he got, as he formatted a few days later).

MGM out
                        Agreed, both you and filburt are right on, but while you're on the topic of all this 'modding' talk, you forgot about the 360
                        Webmaster / Administrator
                        www.MegaGames.com
                        www.MGForums.com

Comment

• phill2003
                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by filburt1
                          Gamecube modding (which is completely useless).

Really, are you talking about putting stickers all over it or chipping it, because i chipped my ps2 my xbox and my gamecube and the game cube was the easiest by far also if you know what you are doing you dont get many disk read errors with the cube (i have had none) and backing up games is a breeze.

So why do you say that GC modding is useless (unless you bodged a chip install) Oh i used the qoob pro for the GC if you are interested.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...