X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fred
    • Jun 2000
    • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

thetakerfan,

vbulletin, Jelsoft Enterprises, spent thousands of dollars having a design made up for them. Then that other board just jacks this one, thats not right.

No one here is *****ing about the text they used, or the layout it self. It's that they used the same colors, the same pictures, ect. for their board.

If they actually designed it themselves, why would they take it down now? Because they know they did something bad, and don't want to jepordise their business.

Comment

• Nicholas Brown
      • Oct 2000
      • 1.1.x

Originally posted by thetakerfan
      I am sorry, but this is just ridiculous. it is a theme, that is all. its not the defualt theme, but its sometihng the user can pick if he/she so chooses. their original theme isn't there at all anymore because XMB Hacks stole it, but it looked nothing like vB. do you people think the vB layout was all that original when it first came out. I would like to point out that everything that you guys are doing now about oBB, the UBB people were doing about vB not more than a year ago.
      So, how can you explain the fact that they have the same HTML in the usercp template? the usercp was not taken from UBB - its unique to vB, or it was till they stole it

AND, the no permission template is a direct copy. The BlazeBoard/OpenBB was a rip from the start as even a lot of blazeboards templates were rip'd from vB

I've been with vB since almost the beginning, but I don't always have 160 bucks to spend on a board, sometimes I need a free one, and I heard about oBB, waited a little while, and I was one of the original beta testers selected. the board you see now is a public beta, so most of the people there are not beta testers, and won't see the script until it hits a public beta, but I can gaurantee you that it is not a vB rip at all, because if it was I would have nothing to do with it at all.
      I was a beta tester too - I have all the emails from Neils and Fizz. You cant say that for deffinate because no one has seen the source and dont you think it is strange that they have got to this stage in a month and it took Infopop and Jelsoft longer? That seems to suggest things to me...

and FYI, because of all of you peoples complaining, the vB theme has been taken away, and that pisses me off becuase it is the one that I used
      They should have gained permission from Jelsoft before doing this though - that pisses me off!

Even in their standard style they have some of the new vBulletin graphics just recoloured, and those images are owned by Kier/Jelsoft - I can bet they didnt get permission.

At the end of the day, this may seem stupid - but I for one believe in copyright and try to inforce it to as higher level as I can!

Comment

• thetakerfan
        • Jun 2000

I know that the images are copyrighted, and I said that over there. but we went through this same with with vB and UBB, HTML cannot be copyrighted, atleast that is what everyone decided back then, unless something has changed.
        I guess I can't say for sure that its not a copy, but I trust them over there.
        the script might be new and from scratch, but they did develop BlazeBoard too, so its not like they are learning how to make the script as they go, they already have experience.

If it was a copy, why is there still soo much that has to be done? Its not like that Burning Board crap.

Comment

• Nicholas Brown
          • Oct 2000
          • 1.1.x

If it was a copy, why is there still soo much that has to be done? Its not like that Burning Board crap.
          Erm, as far as i know John and James are taking action against them. Do you know the laws of copyright?

If it was a copy, why is there still soo much that has to be done suggests that you dont because if you did, you would realise that if someone creates something from scratch like John did and then someone comes along and takes a function here, line there - it would get him mad, dont you think?

Comment

• The Prohacker
            • Apr 2001
            • 3.8.x

why is there still soo much that has to be done?
            There are still many things vB needs to do, its the proccess of development of software, its never finished.

You may not be able to copyright html, but you can certainly tell when someone rips your work, and they don't do a good job at the ripping, because you can see the exact same sentance structure, and gramical errors in the product.

I'm not saying OpenBB was ripped word for word, but just including something like the vB template is just wrong, I'm sure several hours were spent perfecting the colors and layout for that design, and countless hours on gfx to go along with it.

I don't think it was taken out because of threads like this, I personally think that developers have emailed them and asked them not include their work, that they spent so much time to develop.

I'm waiting to see what IP does about the UBB template....

Don't think I'm all against OpenBB, I am a GNU GPL programmer mainly and love to see great opensource software, but I frown uppon stealing someones work and claiming it as your own.....

I hope OpenBB comes to be in competetion with vB, it will encourage progress for both boards, and make both better products....

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
              • Jun 2000
              • 4.0.x

HTML cannot be copyrighted
              100% incorrect.... any creative work (doesn't matter if it's a book, php/html code, or a sequence of 1's and 0's) is automatically copyrighted without any work on the part of the author.

I don't mind them wanting to look like vBulletin, as you can't copyright a look-and-feel or the design. However I have a huge problem with them just ripping off the HTML code verbatim. (And they would have legal problems as well).

Comment

• rockergrrl
                • Jul 2000

That's correct...

Once you create it... its automatically under copyright law... It doesn't matter if its registered or not... That doesn't matter...

Comment

• thetakerfan
                  • Jun 2000

I meant the look, not the code itself

and what I meant by
                  why is there still soo much that has to be done?
                  is that if the code was merely copied, why are there soo many functions that oBB hasn't developed yet, I mean it doesn't even have a search

Comment

• thetakerfan
                    • Jun 2000

and about the grammatical errors, you have no idea how many there were when it was first shown to us, the guys english isn't very good and they were everywhere

Comment

• thetakerfan
                      • Jun 2000

this is turning in to UBB vs. vB all over again, lets just drop it and let the developers deal with it on their own.

Burning Board is a complete ripoff, but I really don't think that oBB is at all

Comment

• coder-alpha
                        • Jun 2001

thetakerfan, I'd really like to know how the XMB Hacks stole the OpenBB site's design and how you've have come across this information...please enlighten me.

Andrew Pfeifer

Comment

• thetakerfan
                          • Jun 2000

Originally posted by coder-alpha
                          thetakerfan, I'd really like to know how the XMB Hacks stole the OpenBB site's design and how you've have come across this information...please enlighten me.

Andrew Pfeifer
                          well, um, because it was exactly the same, I think that what why. How did I come across the information, well, with my eyes, you see, I saw it

Comment

• thetakerfan
                            • Jun 2000

and I didn't say the site design, I said the forum, the hacks forum

Comment

• Hooper
                              • Apr 2001
                              • 3.5.x

Funnier 'en hell. Always impresses me to see someone even trying to get close to "fully copyrighted material" and the lengths they will go to show how they "are not pirates".

vBulletin can be proud that every idiot in the world is trying to figure out how to create a product that will even come close to their commercial software. With vBulletin I feel that the hard work and dedication by competant and educated programmers shows with the product they have created and stands on its own.

The (idiots) cut corners and fidgit with the copyright laws. Some (at least the person who wrote above) don't even know the law. At worst the morons completely steal code and add their name to the bottom. I call these the elite of the moronic tribe. I've seen both. Nothing new so has everyone else.

Just think proud vB users, If you feel this way and want others to pay as we have for the best software, Just think how developers feel when they have to check each and every stupid thread with links to these lamers. Spending time to investigate the situations and taking actions against them.

I dislike thieves in a big way. I pay for software that I want and get angry when someone didn't or someone is trying to make a clone, look-a-like, etc.... or whatever.

I'll be glad when the "Wild Wild West of the Internet World" has had it's big day in court and someone has the way to rule the unruly. WWW may stand as the World Wide Web to some. I say it is the Wild Wild West.

Comment

• thetakerfan
                                • Jun 2000

all I said was that when all of this happened before, the end result was that everyone said that a sites layout could not be copyrighted.
                                and as far as making a "clone" and all that stuff you said, what do you think vB is exactly? vB was no where near the first forum script. yes, right now it is the best PHP script, and as far as I know, the best forum all together, but 3 years ago, before vB existed, that would have been UBB.
                                vB will stay at #1 until someone who know what he/she is doing decided that they want to try to make something that is better, and over time and persistance, does make something that is better. thats what vB did.
                                and as far as you calling me an idiot hooper, don't even try it. know, I'm not a lawyer, nor do I have any intentions of ever becoming one. what I said is only what everyone else said the last time that this crap happened. like I said before
                                atleast that is what everyone decided back then, unless something has changed.
                                I've been here alot longer than you have son, so don't you dare call me an idiot

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...