X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JakeS
    Agree 100% with that, Because alot of people who purchased there pc's in hmm.. 2002 or something proberly won't even have enough ram for it, I mean like 512MB ram to go purely on the OS? wow, But I did once get it to upgrade XP to BETA 2 and use it with 384MB ram which i was shocked at, it stopped working on RC2.
    Any modern OS won't run well with less than 512mb of ram, even OSX requires 512+ to run decently.

Comment

• Quillz
      • Nov 2004
      • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Zachery
      Any modern OS won't run well with less than 512mb of ram, even OSX requires 512+ to run decently.
      But don't forget that Apple can do no wrong, so the high system requirements are "understandable." But dare Vista have the same requirements, they quickly become "unreasonable."
      Forums

Comment

• Zonex
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by DirectPixel
        I thought so too, until I tried it out myself.

Vista is a surprisingly robust operating system. The exact system that I have that was running Windows XP now runs the same programs noticeably faster. Same hardware, different OS. Photoshop CS2, for example, starts up at least 5 to 10 seconds faster. My Windows XP install was completely clean--I kept track of all system changes made by program installs, etc. and made sure it performed at its best at all times.

Hmm, I might actually install it and see then. Last time I tried Vista( pre RC1 version or perhaps RC1) my PC felt like molasses...even with all the useless garbage off. I had flashbacks to a P1 50 mhz.I used at work for years.
        I'll report back when/if I install this monstrosity.

Comment

• Quillz
          • Nov 2004
          • 5.0.X

I wouldn't be surprised for the RC builds to be slow, but I've heard from several people now that the RTM builds are very nice.
          Forums

Comment

• Raz Meister
            • Jun 2001

You want eye candy?

Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

• filburt1
              • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Scott Spain
              Vista = Bloatware that I'm hoping to avoid.
              I used to think so, but I believe it's gotten far better.

Vista Beta 2: Total crap.
              Vista RC1: Acceptable, but still annoying in many ways.
              Vista RC2: Much better than RC1, only a few lingering bugs I've found.
              Vista RTM: I'm assuming follows the trend.

However, nVidia drivers for all Vista editions = crap. I can't manage the GPU power settings, and because it insists on running in low power mode so often, that means Aero Glass runs slowly...and this is a Geforce 7400 Go. It did Compiz just fune, and runs Glass liquid smooth when the GPU power saver turns itself off.

I know that's not Vista's fault, but nVidia needs to hurry up and give me some better drivers already.
              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                • Jun 2002

These any better?

ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• MRGTB
                  • May 2005

can the Vista RC1 key that you get be used with the latest Vista Extreme version. Or is it just for RC1 version only.

Comment

• Floris
                    • Dec 2001

Does anybody know why my Mac Pro doesn't show the Aero theme in Windows Vista Ultimate through Parallels? Would this be because Parallels uses a custom driver or something and Windows doesn't recognize it as Direct3D compatible?

Comment

• Quillz
                      • Nov 2004
                      • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Floris
                      Does anybody know why my Mac Pro doesn't show the Aero theme in Windows Vista Ultimate through Parallels? Would this be because Parallels uses a custom driver or something and Windows doesn't recognize it as Direct3D compatible?
                      Most likely. Has Parallels been updated to be fully compatible with Vista yet?
                      Forums

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

I downloaded it a few days ago and am trying it out now. I might sometimes need Windows XP, but it's not worth to fully dual boot.

Comment

• MRGTB
                          • May 2005

Is anybody using the 64bit version here. If so I want to know if it has two IE browsers installed. 32bit and 64bit versions of IE

Comment

• MRGTB
                            • May 2005

This page gives some great insite to Vista. It list the Top 10 reasons why you should buy it.

Good read.

Comment

• AWS
                              • Apr 2000
                              • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Gary Bolton
                              Is anybody using the 64bit version here. If so I want to know if it has two IE browsers installed. 32bit and 64bit versions of IE
                              Yes both are installed.
                              Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• Zonex
                                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Gary Bolton
                                This page gives some great insite to Vista. It list the Top 10 reasons why you should buy it.

Good read.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ttpcworld/20...pcworld/124642
                                Not for me it isnt hehe.

Here's what to be excited about:

1. Security, security, security: <- dont need security. im not a noob that installs spyware/trojans/viruses

2. Internet Explorer 7: <- worst toolbar in history

3. Righteous eye candy: <- dont need or want it

4. Desktop search: <- locate32 baby!

5. Vista does away with Internet Explorer to access Windows Update <- I would rather use a browser even with a dumb toolbar

6. More media: <- what else could one need besides vlc and winamp?

7. Parental controls: <- dont need it

8. Better backups: <- simple batch script is all i need. xcopy DRIVE:\ DRIVE:\FOLDER /E /Y /H /R /C /Q /I /EXCLUDE:nobackup.txt

9. Peer-to-peer collaboration: <- no use for it

10. Quick setup: will slash setup times from about an hour to as little as 15 minutes <- i can already do xp in 15min and win2k in 10min

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...