X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Zonex
    Yes, I understand it comes with all those extra capabilities. Haven't seen anything about better memory handling though. Would be interested to read up on that.
    Ultimate handles up to 128 GB of RAM compared to 16 GB on Home Premium. With Quad-Core processors already in the pipeline and Octo-Core processors on the drawing boards, memory needs will increase over time.

I guess my question is kind of rhetorical. I would bet that most people I have seen post something about getting ultimate just get it because it's packed with features and the word Ultimate. "Oh, I got to get that!" If they call it Vista Crap edition, less people would get it. Why get something that has features most won't even use. Logically, one would think that the more, the slower so why get it?
    I listed features that I am specifically looking forward to in Vista either to maintain capabilities present in my current XP network or expand upon them. Also as I said in another thread, I am looking to replace two machines. Those are the ones which will have Ultimate on them so not too worried about costs.

Each to their own though. That is why Microsoft is making choices available.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• MRGTB
      • May 2005

There is nothing wrong with wanting the best version anyway, even if you never do finish up using the extra features.

You'll never drive a porche in the UK at 200mph, but people still buy them.

Comment

• Zonex
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Gary Bolton
        I've read that the Ultimate version of Vista is the main gaming version of vista. So it stands to reason everybody will want the Ultimate version for games
        I would be real curious to find out more about this. Do you have a link to the article or whatever it is that claims this? I'm a bit skeptical

On yet another note...
        If you don't use Movie Maker or that monstrosity they call a media player, try to get the N version. It's complies with EU anti trust something and those items have been taken out of windows.

Comment

• MRGTB
          • May 2005

Originally posted by Zonex
          I would be real curious to find out more about this. Do you have a link to the article or whatever it is that claims this? I'm a bit skeptical
          I was browsing stuff about Vista, and I'm sure I ended up on a Microsoft site were they talked about the Ultimate version being the best for gaming. I don't have a link, but I'm pretty sure I read this. But there was no reason given why it was the unltimate edition for gaming people.

maybe I've got my wires crossed, but I sure I read it though.
          Last edited by MRGTB; Tue 28 Nov '06, 11:46am.

Comment

• MRGTB
            • May 2005

this is not the link, but read this page also. Thats seems to give the impression the Ultimate version is the best gaming version.

Microsoft has taken gaming seriously since it released Windows 95 and the DirectX library of multimedia APIs, but never before has the software giant poured this much of its resources into the popular pastime. Windows Vista Ultimate edition, in fact, will be targeted at multimedia enthusiasts, PC power users, and gamers. The other editions, especially Windows Vista Home Premium, won't disappoint either.
            Last edited by MRGTB; Tue 28 Nov '06, 11:53am.

Comment

• Quillz
              • Nov 2004
              • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Dean C
              Because most 18year olds that I know don't have £350+ lying around.
              Well, I do. Don't assume that everyone doesn't know how to save money.
              Forums

Comment

• Lenni
                • Aug 2004
                • 3.6.x

He wasnt. He said most of the 18 year olds that he knows of.
                selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

• Kiren
                  • Oct 2005

I personally think the Aero-Glass is kind of ugly and tacky looking......

I'm seriously considering a Mac now for my next upgrade (Not just based on aesthetics, but almost everyone at my uni uses a mac :P)

I'm really not sure...I just don't feel like shelling out this much money for flashy graphics is worth it to me...Windows XP has done me fine and I believe it will continue to do so.

Comment

• Quillz
                    • Nov 2004
                    • 5.0.X

And Mac OS X doesn't have flashy graphics?
                    Forums

Comment

• Chroder
                      • Dec 2002

I don't think I'll be getting Vista. I'm using my iMac almost all the time now, and my PC is right beside me running XP Pro in case I need Windows. I don't want to buy a whole new PC just for Vista

I'm glad Vista was a step in the right direction though (for the most part). I will probably get my parents to buy it for their computer since it was labeled as 'Vista Ready' or whatever they call it.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chroder
                        I don't want to buy a whole new PC just for Vista
                        Why do you need to buy a new PC? My PC is actually pretty pathetic... AMD 2100+ Athlon processor, 2 GB of RAM, Nvidia 5700 PCI graphics card.

And yet, Microsoft's Upgrade Advisor says I can run Vista without problems. Might not be able to turn every option on at full blast but it will run.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• DirectPixel
                          • Jan 2002
                          • 3.5.x

You should make a video of what happens when you have multiple windows open and press Windows Key + Tab.

I just got my Vista Ultimate off of MSDN the other day and just installed it on my Dell E1505. Everything, including Areo Glass, works flawlessly, and even faster than Windows XP.
                          :)

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                            • Nov 2001
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by DirectPixel
                            You should make a video of what happens when you have multiple windows open and press Windows Key + Tab.
                            You mean like this??

So cool

MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Quillz
                              • Nov 2004
                              • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
                              That looks pretty cool.
                              Last edited by Quillz; Wed 29 Nov '06, 2:50pm.
                              Forums

Comment

• Vile
                                • Jul 2002
                                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Quillz
                                And Mac OS X doesn't have flashy graphics?
                                Hey hey, we're going after Microsoft here, since THEY are the ones that are the big bad evil empire, so it's ok for Apple to have it and get away with it. No problems there. It's also ok for those that don't want the 'flashy graphics' to complain about Vista, even though simple settings can disable these and make it look very basic without uncessary overhead.
                                Webmaster / Administrator
                                www.MegaGames.com
                                www.MGForums.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...