X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martin F
    • Nov 2005
    • 3.5.x

MSN New Spam Blocking Policy

It seems sometime last week MSN changed their spam policy and now anybody who tries to register on our forum with a hotmail account is not getting the registration\activation email.

This is the message i'm getting bounced back to the forum address:

The original message was received at Sun, 19 Nov 2006 21:11:45 GMT from localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]
    ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <[email protected]>
    (reason: 550 Command rejected for policy reasons. For troubleshooting information, go to
    http://postmaster.msn.com)
    ----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to mx3.hotmail.com.:
    >>> MAIL From:<[email protected]> SIZE=2086
    <<< 550 Command rejected for policy reasons. For troubleshooting information, go to
    http://postmaster.msn.com
    554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

I've visited the postmaster address and had a look to see if there is a way of adding my admin email address to a safe list, but it doesn't seem possible.

I'm sure i'm not the only one who must be experiencing this so has anybody found a way to resolve it as yet as i'm sure i'm losing members.

TIA

• Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Martin F
      • Nov 2005
      • 3.5.x

OK, i started to read that the other night but after a few paragraphs gave up, so I guess i'll have to try and get my head around it, Thanks

Can you possibly answer one question for me (if you are further down this road than me) so that my reading isn't in-vain, are we going to have to pay to send emails to MSN's customers ?

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
        • Jun 2000
        • 4.0.x

You need to look into implementing Sender ID for your email servers (if you run your own), or have your hosting provider add them (if you don't).

See: http://www.microsoft.com/senderid for more information.

The basics are you need a new TXT (text) DNS record to be added for any domain(s) that are used for sending email.

Mine looks like this:
        v=spf1 ip4:66.55.150.128/27 a mx ptr mx:hoegaarden.fast4gl.net ~all

More resources:

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Martin F
          Can you possibly answer one question for me (if you are further down this road than me) so that my reading isn't in-vain, are we going to have to pay to send emails to MSN's customers ?
          Don't think so.. I use MSN for my primary personal email and have never had a problem getting emails from any of the vBulletins that I register at or use.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• SSSlippy
            • Jan 2006

My website is always blocked by MSN.

Comment

• MRGTB
              • May 2005

I also use MSN as my primary email address and for all vBulletin sites. I also have no problems getting emails from vBulletin sites. Although sometimes I find that admin news letters from the same sites might get classed as spam some times. So you just have to keep an eye on the spam in-box and remove to your normal in-box, classed as safe when needed.

Comment

• SSSlippy
                • Jan 2006

It wouldnt be vbulletin having the issue it would be the web host.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...