Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ForumDog
    • Aug 2006
    • 3.6.x

This website is for sale! phpportals.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, phpportals.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Poor, poor domain name. No wonder nobody has noticed it.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
      • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Rob B
      I don't like it. Having four columns of boxes is really going to pee off those using 800x600 screens or using increased font size....

If Jelsoft ever do bring out a CMS I would hope for something like Joomla, but faster and with full forum integration.
      Beauty is only part of an entire platform. Functionality is also essential
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• KW802
        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by ForumDog
        http://phpportals.com/

Try searching the forums here & other communities for "vBPortal" -- It's actually pretty well known.

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
        Beauty is only part of an entire platform. Functionality is also essential
        Functionality wise it seems to be just a German language clone of CMPS.
        [URL="http://coolscifi.com"]Cool Sci-Fi[/URL="http://coolscifi.com"] | [URL="http://awalkerbit.me"]Walking Dead[/URL="awalkerbit.me"]

Comment

• Greps
          • Feb 2006
          • 3.6.x

not very wise to develop and german-only, commercial clone, eh? so I'm thinking it's got to have something to it...

Comment

• ManagerJosh
            • Jun 2002

Originally posted by KW802
            Functionality wise it seems to be just a German language clone of CMPS.
            It's hard to say whether it is a clone or interface wise is just similar of to CMPS, but we should give it a chance first before passing any judgment.
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• KW802
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Greps
              not very wise to develop and german-only, commercial clone, eh? so I'm thinking it's got to have something to it...
              The German market is bigger than a lot of people realize. With CMPS a German phrase translation seems to always be the biggest request in regards to non-English sites. While feature-wise it may be on par with existing offerings I suspect a ready market for it is there & ready. But, as Zach' mentioned earlier, competition spurs innovation so it'll be interesting to see what their development team comes up with.

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
              It's hard to say whether it is a clone or interface wise is just similar of to CMPS, but we should give it a chance first before passing any judgment.
              Did you go to the sites and read the various posts? I stand by my earlier statement above.
              [URL="http://coolscifi.com"]Cool Sci-Fi[/URL="http://coolscifi.com"] | [URL="http://awalkerbit.me"]Walking Dead[/URL="awalkerbit.me"]

Comment

• conqsoft
                • Jul 2003
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                CMPS is good backend system but it lacks a real (and independant) news / article system.
                Why would you want an independant system for that? Keeping it in threads lets users search for the content all in once place, etc...
                vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

• Greps
                  • Feb 2006
                  • 3.6.x

and when was CMPS last updated with new features? I'm struggling to remember. I really don't think that CMPS can be considered a competetive player in vB-powered CMS market.

Comment

• simsim
                    • Nov 2005
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Greps
                    and when was CMPS last updated with new features? I'm struggling to remember. I really don't think that CMPS can be considered a competitive player in vB-powered CMS market.
                    Because it's still free for ages, IMO. I don't understand why they don't just turn it into commercial script, allowing themselves to better develop it & hire some dedicated support staff? After the take over of vBaGallery by PhotoPost, CMPS became their most popular software, & I've expected they'll eventually charge for it to increase their income & limit losses. But that didn't happen!

I do think that CMPS is a good software, I'm using it on my site & will be willing to pay for it if thorough documentation & dedicated professional support are provided.
                    You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• MRGTB
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by simsim
                      Because it's still free for ages, IMO. I don't understand why they don't just turn it into commercial script, allowing themselves to better develop it & hire some dedicated support staff? After the take over of vBaGallery by PhotoPost, CMPS became their most popular software, & I've expected they'll eventually charge for it to increase their income & limit losses. But that didn't happen!

I do think that CMPS is a good software, I'm using it on my site & will be willing to pay for it if thorough documentation & dedicated professional support are provided.
                      That was my thoughts also, I half expected as well after Brian handed over the Gallery to Photopost that he would have made vBadvanced a commercial script to take the place of the Gallery as a paid product.

Also, I'm not really sure what to think about this new Portal. As is looks more or less the same as vBa to me. What does Brian think about this, as I wouldn't be to happy if I owned vBadvanced and saw this new one. It looks too much like a clone to me with very few differences.
                      Last edited by MRGTB; Sat 11 Nov '06, 1:52am.

Comment

• vBadvanced
                        • Oct 2001

Just to answer a couple of the questions here...

The front end looks very similar to our CMPS product, but that's nothing new. And I always consider imitation as a form of flattery.

As for charging for vBa CMPS, that's not going to happen anytime soon, and I doubt it ever will. It was intended to be a free product to give something back to the vB community, and we certainly don't have any plans to change that.
                        It has been a little while since we've had a major release with the CMPS due to the fact that I've been busy with vBa Links, Zoints, and a new vBa project that we expect to release before the end of this year. That doesn't mean that we've forgotten about the CMPS though. Once our new project is released, vBa CMPS 3.0 is next on the to-do list.

I really don't think that CMPS can be considered a competetive player in vB-powered CMS market.
                        Do a Google search for "powered by vBadvanced CMPS" and I think you'll see that you're pretty far off on that statement.
                        Spread Peace,
                        Brian Gunter

vBadvanced | EDMPlanet

Comment

• wajones
                          • Jul 2000

Originally posted by ForumDog
                          http://phpportals.com/

LOL, I can't say I could sell the phpportals.com domain name for any great amount, but I've had more than one person want to buy it.

BTW: http://www.vbportal.com also resolves to the site and may be the better domain name.

People seem to find it, we have a pretty good referral record with our affiliates, meaning some of our new users find phpportals or vbportal before vbulletin. Then, quite a few go on to purchase vbulletin to use the portal.

Basically the reason for the name phpportals.com was because we were originally going to become a PHP portal development site offering multi CMS/Portals for other PHP forums out there besides vBulletin.

Illness forced us to curb our enthusiasm and we decided to concentrate on vbPortal.

Now that our health is back, we plan on more effort towards making vbPortal an even better product, so we may drop the phpportals.com in favor of vbportal.com alone.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...