Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heikin
    • Mar 2001

Netscape 6.1 Preview Release 1

Found this while browsing the netscape ftp server.
    Netscape 6.1 Preview Release 1 is available for download over at ftp.netscape.com

Here's what's new:
    • Improved performance and stability.

New ways to initiate a search, such as within the auto complete URL bar.

Improved Bookmark Management, "File Book Mark", and drag and drop bookmarking for easier bookmarking.

New tabs for My Sidebar, including the new History tab for finding web pages previously visited.

Improved My Sidebar lets you hide tabs using a mouse right-click (or delayed click).

Improved History Management window now in chronological order

New Modern theme, improved, streamlined interface and fewer main buttons.

New download interface includes ability to see the path where files are downloaded.

Improved Autotranslation now includes translations between French and German, as well as between French and Russian.

New "emoticons" in Mail allow faces like smiling and frowning.

Improved Instant Messenger is available throughout all the components of Netscape 6.1, and includes the ability to see if the sender of a message is online and available through Instant Messenger, and supports multiple screen names.

New support for bi-directional text and Hebrew.

New support for LDAP in Mail.

New Mail interface includes a startup view to simplify email access and management.

New ability to read IMAP email accounts and Netscape Webmail when not connected to the Internet.

New Personal Security Manager (PSM) 2.0 has been fully integrated with Netscape 6.1. For more information about PSM, see the Personal Security Manager Project Page.

Improved Form Manager lets you automatically fill out entire forms.

Improved Password Manager includes a Password Quality Meter for selecting a secure Master Password.

Heikin
    I tried so hard to be perfect...
    but I did make a couple of booboos. Of course, none of them are my fault :-).
    Acts of God, it seems.
  • Heikin
    • Mar 2001

improvement but...

They made same good improvement and my board now looks really good in Netscape too.

I see that this VB has same problem have a look at the attached file.
    I tried so hard to be perfect...
    but I did make a couple of booboos. Of course, none of them are my fault :-).
    Acts of God, it seems.

Comment

• klisis
      • May 2000

Re: improvement but...

Originally posted by Heikin
      They made same good improvement and my board now looks really good in Netscape too.

I see that this VB has same problem have a look at the attached file.
      I see they created another bug.

Comment

• Hooper
        • Apr 2001
        • 3.5.x

Die Netscape, just die out and quite harrassing all of humanity.

Comment

• MattR
          • Jun 2000

Originally posted by Hooper
          Die Netscape, just die out and quite harrassing all of humanity.
          I'm not quite sure it's 'harassing' humanity; I'd say it causes many web developers fits trying to get it to work in both Netscape AND IE.

I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if Netscape all of a sudden fell off of the face of the earth. Then I could remove the bloat that infests our HTML due to Netscape incompatibilities.

But really, who wastes their time trying to make pages Netscape compatible any more? If it displays in Netscape then I’m happy; otherwise I tell people to download IE or Opera.
          Matt
          Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
          Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

• Fred
            • Jun 2000
            • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

**** Netscape, and all the dumbasses using it.

Comment

• tubedogg
              • Feb 2001

Fred I take extreme offense at being called a "dumbass". Just because you don't like it does not mean everyone agrees with you, and everyone who doesn't agree with you is not a dumbass.

Comment

• Skeptical
                • Oct 2000

Netscape is good. It punishes the poor souls that decide to use it for everyday browsing.

Seriously, Netscape has transformed itself into an Aol type of client. Tabs that go to netscape, links that go to netscape, shopping icons that take you to netscape, search buttons that take you to netscape, help files that take you to netscape, chat links that take you to netscape, news tabs that take you to netscape... Did I leave anything out?

Lamer browser. RNIP to Netscape (N= NOT).
                Well, there it is.
                - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• 4php
                  • Mar 2001

Yep all those developers out there using linux for their desktop or even windows, who choose to use Netscape or Mozilla are really dumb.
                  Take a poll of say the php or Postgresql developers and see how many use netscape and call them dumb.
                  The new Mozilla I 've heard is quite good if you have a decent computer - it does suck though on mine (p200mmx 96mb ram) . It is as standards compliant as any browser around.

Only reason people hate Netscape so much is that Explorer lets you get away with sloppy html.

I also urge anyone to try Opera 5 - Im using it now and it's great.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                    • Dec 2000
                    • 3.6.x

both netscape and ie have their uses. same with macs and pcs. although for browsers i tend to use ie more. you guys should also try opera. is there a pc version of opera? i don't know.

Comment

• 4php
                      • Mar 2001

Originally posted by Jakeman

is there a pc version of opera? i don't know.
                      Faster, safer and smarter than default browsers. Fully-featured for privacy, security, and so much more. Get the faster, better Opera browser for free.

Comment

• klisis
                        • May 2000

I tried Opera. It isn't yet good enough.

Comment

• doron
                          • Apr 2000

opera had ads, IE links to msn stuff too (and smart tags soon)

btw, the screenshot bug is already fixed on the mozilla code tree, so pr2 will have the fix.

Comment

• Skeptical
                            • Oct 2000

Originally posted by doron
                            At least you can remove the few bookmarks IE puts in by default. With Nutscrap you can't move most of them. You have it at the bottom of the screen, in the left pane, in the buttons, it's everywhere! Nasty software.
                            Well, there it is.
                            - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• klisis
                              • May 2000

Originally posted by doron

btw, the screenshot bug is already fixed on the mozilla code tree, so pr2 will have the fix.
                              Paid version of Opera doesn't have ads, I think.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...