• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simsim
    • Nov 2005
    • 3.6.x

They are getting their money from somewhere and I my bet is advertising
    Revenue-sharing deals as well:
    At Yahoo Finance, you get free stock quotes, up-to-date news, portfolio management resources, international market data, social interaction and mortgage rates that help you manage your financial life.

But generally you're correct. From YouTube Fact Sheet:

Funding

YouTube announced its first round of funding in November 2005 for $3.5 million from venture-capital firm Sequoia Capital. In April 2006, YouTube received an additional $8 million in a second round of funding from Sequoia.

Business Model

YouTube is pursuing advertising as its business model, and is exploring a range of possibilities including promotions, sponsorships, contextual-based advertising, traditional banner advertising, etc. But more than anything else, we're committed to providing the best consumer experience to watch, upload, and share videos. When building a community, it is critical to get the model right.

Market Size

The online advertising market continues to grow and has increased by about 30% to an estimated $12.5 billion in 2005, according to the IAB/PricewaterhouseCoopers. With the explosion of Internet video in 2006, the increase in home broadband access (more than 60% of homes have broadband), and with consumers spending more time on the Web, companies are shifting their advertising budgets from traditional TV advertising to the online video market. This presents a significant market opportunity for YouTube.
    Last edited by simsim; Sat 7 Oct '06, 8:44pm.
    You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• cheesegrits
      • May 2006
      • 3.6.x

Google to buy YouTube for $1.6bn

I repeat. $1.65 billion.

Sheesh.

-- hugh

Comment

• minx
        • Nov 2003
        • 3.8.x

How misleading is this... ?
        BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Deal done!

-M

Comment

• Dean C
          • Mar 2002
          • 3.5.x

All I have to say is this is f*ck*ng incredible. For a business to sell for this kind of profit (even in shares) in that short space of time is incredible. You really have to commend YouTube on the sale. And let's hope the website remains as original, and robust, as it is now
          Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Freesteyelz
            • Jan 2006

It may have been a marketing move since MS is looking into it.

Comment

• harmor
              • Aug 2003

If anybody is interested here are videos of Boh3m3 and Renetto talking about Google buying YouTube. Boh3m3 and Renetto are very popular people on YouTube.

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

I heard on BBC news last night the deal was done with 1.6 billion paid for youtube to become Google. It is amazing how such a site has gone from where they were to here in such a short period of time. To be honest, a true dotcom success.

Comment

• Greps
                  • Feb 2006
                  • 3.6.x

I'm surprised with all the negativity towards Google in this thread. so far everything they've bought has in one way or another become better. what makes you think that the purchase of Youtube will ruin it?

Comment

• Floris
                    • Dec 2001

I just hope youtube won't start looking and behavin like google video - that was a big failure in my eyes. However, if google gets it because that will resolve the bandwidth and traffic problems youtube is having: very nice.

Youtube also has grown very big very quick; the web site needs an overhaul in design, probably code and with the developers that google has it could only get better. So I am looking forward to a subtle revamp without losing the 'youtube feeling' we enjoy at times.

Comment

• WurkAnimal
                      • Aug 2005
                      • 3.5.x

The YouTube founders talk about the Google acquisition.

Comment

• tgillespie
                        • Dec 2002
                        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by filburt1
                        Each to his own, but I don't see how Google buying YouTube will make it magically better. They'll probably just use it for AdSense enhancements or something.

No disrespect intended, but I just can't stand it when people think Google is some godly company when they get many of their services by buying competitors and then riding on their name.
                        I use Google quite a bit, and still have yet to pay for any of their services. True, they have a history of buying small technologies and expanding on them, but I would much rather have the services free with a bit of advertising rather than have to subscribe or pay for them. For example, you noted KeyHole's EarthView, which was only available for download at a pretty steep price. Google made it free and web based. Whats the harm in that?
                        Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• harmor
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by NashTax
                          That seemed fake like they were reading from cue cards.

Comment

• WurkAnimal
                            • Aug 2005
                            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by harmor
                            That seemed fake like they were reading from cue cards.
                            Yes it did and they don't look professinal but they did buy it

Comment

• minx
                              • Nov 2003
                              • 3.8.x

Just to reiterate my very first post!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Clever... and getting closer!

-M

Comment

• MRGTB
                                • May 2005

Was on the radio in the car today about this. Said the two guys who created it got 100 miliion each from the sale, and it was created from a garage.

They said on the radio, how comes all the great internet creations are always created from garages. LOL

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...