X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CeleronXT
    • Mar 2002

Forcing Chkdsk

Hey everyone, long time no see.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to force Windows to do a chkdsk on boot. I have a corrupted folder and I need to run it, and so I run chkdsk /f and hit Y (for yes, schedule a chkdsk on next boot), but it simply doesn't do it. I've also used chkntfs /C. I've already google'd the issue. Is there another way to force a chkdsk?

I'm on a ThinkPad laptop, for what its worth.
    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)
  • filburt1
    • Feb 2002

Have you explicitly told it which drive to check?
    Code:
    chkdsk c: /f
    You can also try booting off a CD and running it, when the drive shouldn't be locked by other processes.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• CeleronXT
      • Mar 2002

Originally posted by filburt1
      Have you explicitly told it which drive to check?
      Code:
      chkdsk c: /f
      You can also try booting off a CD and running it, when the drive shouldn't be locked by other processes.
      Yeah, I specify C:.

I just tried using the XP CD to go to the recovery console, but it claims that no hard drive exists.

I'm currently in Knoppix. Is there a way to repair a drive through Knoppix?

About half of the diagnostic tools I load from CD pre-boot say there is no hard drive loaded. I wonder if the lack of a chkdsk has something to do with late loading of the drive, or something. I'm really clueless.
      Last edited by CeleronXT; Wed 4 Oct '06, 9:55am.
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...