X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Loyalty4Life
    • Oct 2003
    • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Apple Upgrades iMac Lineup

Apple has recently updated their iMac lineup. It's looking pretty sweet right now, especially with the new 24" iMac!

Go here to take a look:

The world’s best all-in-one computer. With 24-inch display. Advanced camera and audio. And mouse and keyboard. Supercharged by the M3 chip.

To me, the 20" looks for affordable now that it has been reduced in price.

What do you guys think? Has anyone considered getting a Mac before?
  • filburt1
    • Feb 2002

I can get a 30" Dell LCD for $1800 plus a Mac Mini for $500, or a 24" Dell LCD for $700 plus a heavily upgraded Mac Mini for around $1000.

I know it's not a perfect comparison, but it's still overpriced. It's not nearly as bad as Macs have been priced in the past, though. I love the Intel transition.

Academic price for the 24": $1899; for 20": $1399. I think Amazon has the 20" for $1299 after a $100 rebate.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Loyalty4Life
      • Oct 2003
      • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Looking at the 30" LCD monitor, after reviewing the price, really seems like true overkill to me. Why would one person need all that real estate? It's ghastly expensive, and that money can surely be used towards something more productive - like getting a better computer, or upgrading the parts in your computer.

I used to own the 20" iMac a few months ago. That was more than enough screen space for me. I can only imagine what a 24" would look like! Of course, when you're looking at the $2000 range for a 24", why not look just a bit higher and see the Mac Pro? Now there's a computer that will last you a while.

But hey - it's all in the eye of the beholder...

Comment

• filburt1
        • Feb 2002

I have a 1600 x 1200 LCD, and a second 1280 x 1024 LCD, and I'm still running out of space. As a developer, you need all the screen space you can get. Too bad two things apply to me: my video card doesn't support dual-link DVI (I think; it's a Geforce 6800 with unlocked pipelines and overclocked), and I don't have $2,000 to blow on a monitor, even if it does 2560 x 1600.

You know it's great when you actually have to upconvert 1080p video to watch it full-screen.

Comment

• Loyalty4Life
          • Oct 2003
          • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Have you thought about Spaces, a new program that will be released in Leopard? It will solve your space issues, and you won't have to get more/bigger monitors.

Comment

• MrNase
            • Jun 2003
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Loyalty4Life
            Have you thought about Spaces, a new program that will be released in Leopard? It will solve your space issues, and you won't have to get more/bigger monitors.
            Well.. There are situations where you need all information together without clicking buttons to switch from one view to another. Space is nice but it doesn't replace a second monitor.
            That's the end of that!

Comment

• Loyalty4Life
              • Oct 2003
              • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Originally posted by MrNase
              Well.. There are situations where you need all information together without clicking buttons to switch from one view to another. Space is nice but it doesn't replace a second monitor.
              How many applications do you need running just for one project? If you have multiple projects going at the same time, that is where Spaces comes in.

Comment

• Joe
                • May 2000

Anyone want to buy my 20" G5 iMac?

Thoes 24" iMacs are SWEEEEEET. I would love to upgrade...
                Bike Forums.net

Comment

• filburt1
                  • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Joe
                  Anyone want to buy my 20" G5 iMac?

Thoes 24" iMacs are SWEEEEEET. I would love to upgrade...
                  Apparently you can upgrade the video card (yourself) in the 24" model. That's cool.

Comment

• Cromulent
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 3.8.x

I think Apple are doing well at the moment, I'm just waiting for the new iPod and seriously considering a Mac Pro too.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...