X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DirectPixel
    • Jan 2002
    • 3.5.x

Marco, the probability for collisions with MD5 is one in 2^64. Highly unlikely. We can, for the most part, assume that each hash identifies an unique object.

dreamer81, you cannot decrypt MD5. Why? Let me explain this to you with a simple analogy. Pretend I give you a number, like... 540341239. Let's say that's your hash. Now, can you tell me what parameters I put into a function to make that number? No. But, if I tell you the function, you can plug in any parameter in the world and arrive at your own number.

This is an example of a one-way hash function.

What you are doing is brute-forcing the hashes. You go through each and every combination of letters/numbers/etc. and compare the hashes until you arrive at one that matches. However, this is very impractical for you, since almost all applications of MD5 that involves protecting data (such as a password) uses salt values to randomize the MD5 each time. Salt values are not used when you're using MD5 to verify data. But in those cases, the length of the data is almost always longer than 5 or 7 or even 100 digits.

Now, if you had proclaimed that you could decrypt RSA, AES, or some other equivalent encryption algorithm (as opposed to a hashing algorithm) in a quick and low-resource way on an everyday desktop, then you might be on to something.
    Last edited by DirectPixel; Fri 8 Sep '06, 2:05am.
    :)

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
      • Nov 2004
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by DirectPixel
      Marco, the probability for collisions with MD5 is one in 2^64. Highly unlikely. We can, for the most part, assume that each hash identifies an unique object.
      I understand what you are saying, but you are assuming that the number of different plaintext values is the same as the length of the hash (2^64). The chance of duplicates will increase with the number of possible input values (ie. bit lenght) for the hash function.
      Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
      Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• Erwin
        • Jan 2002

Hash is illegal in some countries.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Erwin
          Hash is illegal in some countries.

lol
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...