Are advertising bots able to register on forums and create threads?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • influence
    • Mar 2002

Are advertising bots able to register on forums and create threads?

I get 10's of new users creating threads advertising products like sex pills, meds and other crap on my forum and my mods are deleting them daily and also banning those names but they always come by.

I know this goes on also on other large forums out there and I doubt I am the first

I am really not trying to force people to activate their account to be members because most people are lazy to.. .. especially me because most forums I go to that does that, I will register and just say forget checking email and coming back.

But anyway, is it posible for bots to register and create threads? I think it is because all these accounts are under different IP's and some creazy email address like it was generated or some sort.

My mods are getting pissed because they have to get rid of about 10+ a day and delete their posts.
  • Mac Write
    • Oct 2001
    • 4.2.x

Ban there IP's that will help, also do you have image verification on? That will stop almost all bots.

Comment

• Alex Apple
      • Jun 2004

Plus upgrading to 3.6 (if you haven't) will make a huge difference if you turn Image Verification on.

Comment

• Raz Meister
        • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Alex Apple
        Plus upgrading to 3.6 (if you haven't) will make a huge difference if you turn Image Verification on.
        Image verification has been part of vB since 2.x
        Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

• Mac Write
          • Oct 2001
          • 4.2.x

Image verfication in 3.6 is light years ahead of previous versions. You can choose font size/font used, background image, change skewing and more.

Comment

• Sharpshot
            • Jan 2011

Hey I did a search and came onto this thread and it would seem our forum is being flooded with advertisement bots. Now on the forum I am merely a mod but I want to help as best I can so any information that can be provided that could assist would be helpful.

For more information on the issue I guess just go to the sites themselves and look the topics over

Newer site

Older site that was literally flooded with advertisement forums after we moved

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...