X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whitetigergrowl
    • Jun 2004
    • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Quillz
    You're right. I didn't say this was fact or proven, it's just that I don't think we have the power over nature that we seem to think we have.
    Look at China. They are living proof of what happens when wasteful people/humans don't keep themselves in check. Water is finitie not infinite. And they are having serious issues with that at the moment. A drought doesnt help either.

Also, species before us didnt have the ability to pollute the waterways and food chain with manmade chemicals and other toxins.

If we have the power to create nuclear weapons that can take out cities larger than Tokyo....we then have the ability to destroy the enviroment. Remember that everything is in a delicate balance that can be easily offset.

Look at the Amazon Rainforest. Look at China. Look at Africa. Yes, humans have the power to affect nature.

Comment

• Jerry
      • Dec 2002
      • 1.1.x

Originally posted by whitetigergrowl
      Look at the Amazon Rainforest. Look at China. Look at Africa. Yes, humans have the power to affect nature.
      America isn't innocent by a long way either, don't forget that, there are very few countries that are.

Nuclear power is one of the safest and cleanest, also one of the most viable for the future.
      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• Dean C
        • Mar 2002
        • 3.5.x

If you check out the forums and navigate around the whole website, it is clearly an elaborate hoax
        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Greps
          • Feb 2006
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Quillz
          I don't think we as a human race could ever truly destroy Earth. I do believe that Earth is warming up, but I don't buy into this whole "global warming" idea.
          it's especially amusing to see a comment such as that one from someone who lives in america.
          Originally posted by Dean C
          If you check out the forums and navigate around the whole website, it is clearly an elaborate hoax
          time will show. however, I do have difficulties understanding your judgement criteria

Comment

• Dean C
            • Mar 2002
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Greps
            time will show. however, I do have difficulties understanding your judgement criteria
            Have you seen the picture of the so-called device on the site? Just read some of the posts on the forums by those who know what they're talking about and they analyse the picture.

Not only that, but it's completely unbelievable to think that this is possible, to break one of the most concrete laws of physics, and to have the potential to change the world forever? Somehow I don't think so. If it even had a grain of truth, these guys would be celebrities by now and it would be broadcast across the globe on every national news channel. But it seems that the media have a slight bit more common sense and aren't so gullable as some of those in this thread
            Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Kiren
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Colin F
              Another question though is if unlimited free or nearly free energy is a good idea.
              I've heard the argument that people would become wasteful, leaving lights on, heating whenever it gets slightly cold, and so on. That would probably expedite global warming a bit more.
              But with free energy we could also reverse things..we could build giant factories producing catalysts, massive air purifiers! craploads of things that wasn't feasible because of energy costs

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
                • Jun 2004
                • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Jerry
                America isn't innocent by a long way either, don't forget that, there are very few countries that are.

Nuclear power is one of the safest and cleanest, also one of the most viable for the future.
                LOL Never said America wasn't.

Nuclear power is safer...until there's another Chernobyl....

Especially in the hands of 3rd world countries that cant even build a proper house....let alone a proper nuclear facility.

Comment

• Greps
                  • Feb 2006
                  • 3.6.x

Especially in the hands of 3rd world countries that cant even build a proper house....let alone a proper nuclear facility.
                  I can certainly recall Soviet Union being classified as a 3rd world country by america back during the Cold War. having said that, I wouldn't go as far as criticizing some country's efforts to develop a nuclear programme. and guess what? it was Soviet Union to start the world's first nuclear power plant.

Comment

• Jerry
                    • Dec 2002
                    • 1.1.x

Or, Three Mile Island.

Regardless of the "what if's" style of proposition, the fact remains they are the one of the safest and cleanest forms of power.
                    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• Quillz
                      • Nov 2004
                      • 5.0.X

it's especially amusing to see a comment such as that one from someone who lives in america.

What exactly do you mean by this? I certainly hope you aren't resorting to stereotypes about American people.

And just so you know, I do care about the environment and I do make sure that I am careful to constantly recycle, not pollute, etc. Just because I don't believe in all arguments for global warming doesn't mean that I don't recognize that there aren't things in general that can be done to keep the planet clean.
                      Forums

Comment

• MJM
                        • Dec 2001

... and nuclear bombs are one of the safest methods known to deliver destructive force ... too bad if they're in the hands of grownups running around and behaving like two years olds with tantrum attacks

Combustion engines and all types of energy consuming devices, including my laptop give of copious amounts of heat. Gas vapors and pollution traps heat. Multiply our actions by several billion, millions of factories, industries and and a multitude of frivilous devices and you've got global warming.

It wasn't too long ago that scientists concluded that the worlds land masses are made up of moving tetonic plates. But long before that little kids looking at a global map had already noticed that continents looked like a jigsaw puzzle that had been stretched apart.
                        Mark

Comment

• AWS
                          • Apr 2000
                          • 5.2.x

And have the species that have come before use done anything like the damage we as a species have to the environment ? ........ not even close.
                          Who is to say if there was or wasn't a more advanced civilization here on Earth before us? Earth has been around a long time and all we know goes as far as the Dinosaur era. What was here before them? The Earth has changed conture many times. This we know, but, again only back so far. Who's is to say what is buried under the oceans depth?
                          We as a people are arrogant in thinking we were the first and only intelligent life form not only to ever inhabit Earth, but, the galaxy.
                          Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
                            • Jun 2004
                            • 5.1.x

I can certainly recall Soviet Union being classified as a 3rd world country by america back during the Cold War. having said that, I wouldn't go as far as criticizing some country's efforts to develop a nuclear programme. and guess what? it was Soviet Union to start the world's first nuclear power plant.
                            Chernobyl...

yeah thats something people keep forgetting. And where was that again? Oh yeah....Russia.

Wind Power. Solar Power. Etc are generally much cleaner and safer than even nuclear power. Other alternate methods are available.

Look at the broad reaching effects of Chernobyl. How many COUNTRIES that affected. If 3 mile island went, and it almost has at least 1 known time....I wouldnt want to be living on the east coast. The problem with nuclear power is that when it works, it works good. When it fails it affects more lives than those that used it and in a much larger scale. At what point is it really worth it? And with countries and people CONSTANTLY in a perpetual war over something, sooner or later the nuclear reactors become nice targets since their destruction would have such a broad coverage and effect. 1 little plant did all of that. Might as well just light off a nuclear bomb at that point.

Last edited by whitetigergrowl; Wed 23 Aug '06, 8:21pm.

Comment

• Radon3k
                              • Nov 2001

I refuse to believe that we, as humans, have caused global warming. Does global warming exist? Yes. Does it exist because of humans? No. I read somewhere (I'll try and find it) that when Mt. Saint Helens blew it released more gasses into the air that contributed to global warming than anything the human race as ever done. The human race is certainly not helping global warming at all but by no means are we the cause of it.

With regards to the actual topic though, it would be very interesting if this were in fact real.

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
                                • Jun 2004
                                • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Radon3k
                                I refuse to believe that we, as humans, have caused global warming.

The human race is certainly not helping global warming at all but by no means are we the cause of it.
                                So essentially, we are playing a part in global warming....helping cause at least to some extent, global warming. If we even pay a part in it, then yes, we are to at least some extent helping cause it.

I once read somewhere to simply look up. Look at the mountain tops. The glaciers. The north and south poles. They are earths barometer. Polar ice caps are melting, glaciers are melting, ice caps on the mountains are melting and Mt. Fuji's ice cap is expected to be gone easily within our lifetime, while Mt. Kilamanjaro's is pretty much toast already. Anyone denying there is any sort of global warming are simply being ignorant. Earth itself is showing that it is happening. And if mankind has any role in the global warming (which he does), then he is helping cause at least some of it. IMO anyone that refuses to believe mankind could be even partially responsible is being ignorant and being ignorant to the facts. You don't have to believe scientists, geologists, or anyone else. Just look up. The ice caps, mountain tops (which are supposed to be naturally colder), and glaciers are all showing that global warming is happening, and fast. Earth itself is showing that she's warming up.

There are also signs that the North Atlantic Current is weakening and could shut down this century. (The U.K. wouldnt want that happening. The last shutdown, which prompted a temperature drop of 5°C to 10°C in western Europe, was probably at the end of the last ice age, 12,000 years ago. There may also have been a slowing of Atlantic circulation during the Little Ice Age, which lasted sporadically from 1300 to about 1850 and created temperatures low enough to freeze the River Thames in London.)

Now if there was a massive volcanic explosion somewhere on earth, it could easily offset the global warming to an extent and run the possibility of at least reversing it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...