Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Radon3k
    • Nov 2001

LCD Monitor Recommendations

I currently have a 19" ViewSonic Flat CRT as my primary monitor with a 21" Dell Flat CRT as my secondary display (the colors are a little messed up, that's why my ViewSonic is my primary display). I'm looking to get a 20" LCD monitor. Currently, these are the two that I'm looking at:

Samsung 20.1"

Dell 20.1"

Of course I'm open to other recommendations but I'd like to keep the price at right around what these two are listed for.

I'll be using this for general computing, programming, a little bit of graphics work and gaming.

Thanks.
  • filburt1
    • Feb 2002

I have a Dell 2001FP, which is the previous generation of the 2007FP. I use it for general computing, programming, Photoshop (where color accuracy isn't important, though), web development, and gaming, all without problems. It's been a very good monitor. It has one stuck pixel that I don't notice unless I'm viewing a black screen in the dark, and I'm too lazy to send it back...especially given I've had it for quite some time.

I might consider a widescreen monitor, though. I've gotten so used to the 1280 x 800 resolution (16:10 aspect ratio) of my Dell laptop that standard 4:3 monitors can look unusually tall. DVDs look really good on it because of the wide aspect, too, along with the ability to natively display 720p video with small black bars.

I have the 2001FP as my primary monitor connected via DVI (and VGA through a KVM switch to my Mac), and a 17" cheap LCD as my secondary monitor via VGA, which surprisingly looks good for $100.

In either case, do not pay more than $300 for a 20" LCD monitor. If you're patient and can stand to wait for a good deal, jump on it. LCD prices will only fall.

(hint: FatWallet)
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• vol_freak
      • Mar 2005

I LOVE Samsung LCD monitors. I have always had good luck with them. I've never had a DELL though.
      Cricket Phone Talk | Tennessee Vols

Comment

• sross
        • Mar 2004

I have a 20inch Apple Cinema Display and it is amazing. They have also dropped the pricing recently. I know it uses the same lcd as dell but I like apple's backlight much better, it is so bright and vibrant yet easy on the eyes.

Comment

• Freesteyelz
          • Jan 2006

It really depends on what you're going to use the LCD for. If it's for programming, website, spreadsheets and documents and saving space is a key factor then an LCD will suit well. If it's for graphics, video edting and gaming then the CRT hands down.

Now if you want the latter and want an LCD then you will have to pay a hefty amount to get the quality. I respectfully disagree with filburt1 about the pricing. Personally, I wouldn't spend less than $800 USD for a LCD since my interest is multimedia.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
            • Jun 2002

Get the Samsung. They are great Tier one LCD manufacturers.
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• tgillespie
              • Dec 2002
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
              Get the Samsung. They are great Tier one LCD manufacturers.
              The Dell 2007fp is a Samsung monitor. Version 1 was made by LG and version 2 is made by Samsung.
              Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                • Jun 2002

I'm going to assume that the one onsale at Dell.com is an LG..
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

Get the Dell! But the samsung is just a good a purchase.

20,1" widescreen for $400 @ dell.com, nice.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                    • Nov 2001
                    • 3.8.x

I like Dell and Sony myself, i have had a sony for a few years now and i love it..
                    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Sergio68
                      • May 2002
                      • 6.0.X

Right now I'm using two Sony 17-inch (4:3), I'm feeling quite thight but I can't just throw them away couse they are out of fashion.

I'd like to us instead 2 x 20-inch or 2 x 24-inch wide .
                      Italian Body Building & Fitness : www.BodyWeb.com
                      Italian unofficial support Forum : www.vBulletin.it

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

Get a 20,1" widescreen in the middle, and the 2x 17" on the left/right of it

Comment

• filburt1
                          • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Floris
                          Get a 20,1" widescreen in the middle, and the 2x 17" on the left/right of it
                          (plus a second video card, probably PCI, to drive the third monitor)
                          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• tgillespie
                            • Dec 2002
                            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                            I'm going to assume that the one onsale at Dell.com is an LG..
                            Why?
                            Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                              • Jun 2002

Some of the specs don't match up. Weight, and case dimensions for one.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...