• Aug 2004

Registrar: 1&1 vs. namecheap

1&1
    • Price/year .com & .net = $5.99
    • Private domain registration
    • Full DNS management

namecheap
    • Price/year .com & .net = $8.88
    • Private domain registration (1st year only!)
    • Full DNS management

your thoughts between the two?
  • Dean C
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.5.x

NO NO NO NO NO. Do not go with 1&1. I have never dealt with such an idiotic bunch of money-grabbers in my life. I can't even begin to describe how much of a facade their company is, but to put it short I had debt-collectors banging on my door for a £10 domain renewal on a domain I transferred away from them over 6 months before they "renewed" it. Look around and you'll find lots of other horror stories with that company.
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Cromulent
      • Oct 2005
      • 3.8.x

I'd recommend using a different registrar to your host, so if you are hosted with 1 & 1 go with Namecheap. That's just me though, others may have other ideas.

For the record I use GoDaddy and have found it easy and quick to use.

Comment

• WurkAnimal
        • Aug 2005
        • 3.5.x

Totally agree, I do not like 1&1, never will do. I know someone who had their webspace, (don't wanna go into detial), but I would say NO.

NameCheap or GoDaddy anyday!

Comment

• GearTripper
          • Aug 2004

i just got a new host with ASO, and by the sound of things 1&1 maybe be out of the running. thnx everyone.

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

namecheap wins, no doubt

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Dean C
              NO NO NO NO NO. Do not go with 1&1. I have never dealt with such an idiotic bunch of money-grabbers in my life. I can't even begin to describe how much of a facade their company is, but to put it short I had debt-collectors banging on my door for a £10 domain renewal on a domain I transferred away from them over 6 months before they "renewed" it. Look around and you'll find lots of other horror stories with that company.
              I have to agree with every word Dean said, for every reason he cited.

By the way, the private registration at NameCheap is renewable.

Comment

• Creepshow
                • May 2005
                • 3.5.x

Namecheap for sure. I use them and have nothing but brilliant things to say about them. Avoid 1&1 like the plague.
                "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• SaintDog
                  • Nov 2001
                  • 3.5.x

namecheap of course

Comment

• rahuldhanpat
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Dean C
                    I agree i agree i agree..i m the one who is sicking 1and1 service ( ,,,this one is not good for vBulletin forums specially...

everything is bad....the most worst thing is that they just provide 100mb mysql space in any offer they have...even you pay they won't give a damm..
                    My Site Address :- http://www.NutraForum.com

Only Serious Members Are Needed

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

Looks like we have a winner: namecheap

Comment

• filburt1
                        • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Floris
                        +1. I heart Namecheap. <$8 per year, including WHOIS protection? Good stuff.
                        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• VietLang
                          • Aug 2005
                          • 3.5.x

They give free WHOIS Guard for the first year. After that you'll have to pay an additional 4.88 USD/year per domain.

I started out using 1and1 to register a number of domains. Needless to say, their control panel is beyond horrible. I kid you not when I say a snail goes much faster than their control panel responds. The layout is quite confusing, and don't even get me started on the nameserver set up. It's not the control panel for mom and pop, or a newbie who's just playing with web hosting.

Some how along the way I got to know namecheap and gave them a try. I was surprised to see how much NameCheap's control panel faster compare with 1and1. The layout is easy to understand, too.

The last 30 domains or so that I registered, I registered through NameCheap, and will likely continue to do so. Their email support is also much faster than 1and1.

Comment

• Quillz
                            • Nov 2004
                            • 5.0.X

I prefer NameCheap.com. I've been with them for a little over a year now, and have spent a grand total of $17.76, a very modest amount. Plus, if you set up an account with them, they can automatically renew your domain name for you annually, so you don't even need to visit the site.
                            Forums

Comment

• WurkAnimal
                              • Aug 2005
                              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Floris
                              Allways has been

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...