X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mackers8923
    • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Marcellus
    Hacked again?

Sorry to see you guys put through the ringer like this. I hope to see vbportal back up and running soon. I also hope the culprits get what they deserve.

Best of luck to the vbportal team! I look forward to a new update!
    Looks like it from the message on the domain at the minute. Thinking about your guys vbp hope your back with us soon.

Comment

• kman2000
      • Mar 2002

Looks like it's down again. Was this voluntary or involuntary?

Comment

• WurkAnimal
        • Aug 2005
        • 3.5.x

Good luck with the site, hope all goes well.

Comment

• wajones
          • Jul 2000

Hacked Again

Bad news we were hacked again.
          Good news, I don't think vbportal or vbulletin were exploited to do it.

They must have inserted a back door during the first attack, what they did is delete all the tables from the phpportals database.

Our host 'Liquidweb' to date has been little or no help at all. The first line tech's have responded with a few things an have tried to help, but bottom line the abuse support is non existent as far as security.

Security has not even answered my tickets in 4 days. I ask last night to have my database restored (they supposably backup every night) Not even a answer about that.

(I do have my own backup, but that's not the point)

Comment

• ShadyNight
            • Dec 2002
            • 3.7.x

Sorry to hear it Bill. Perhaps a time to switch hosts is in order eh?

Good luck on all fronts!

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

Bill,

Here's some info eva2000 provided concerning a different server that was compromised. Perhaps this may be applicable to yours as well:

Originally posted by eva2000
              I'd get them to update their apache and linux kernel versions in case... my web host for my server issues an alert as there's some serious kernel bugs which just were reported that allow local users to gain escalated privileges on a server

effects all kernels prior to 2.6.17.4
              Flexera provides software licensing management, software compliance, installation and application packaging solutions to developers and their customers.

and

Flexera provides software licensing management, software compliance, installation and application packaging solutions to developers and their customers.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• WurkAnimal
                • Aug 2005
                • 3.5.x

Bill, I know you'll probally shout at me for asking but is it alright to use VBAdvanced?

Sorry fo hear your attack again.

The Little ****s

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

Originally posted by NashTax
                  Bill, I know you'll probally shout at me for asking but is it alright to use VBAdvanced?
                  Honestly that's a pretty rude question. It's clear that this has nothing to do with vBPortal.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• wajones
                    • Jul 2000

Sorry fo hear your attack again.

The Little ****s
                    To be fair I can't answer that, and to be fair why would we discuse it in this thread. I'm trying to deal with answering questions about the phpPortals site.

Thanks Scott for the info I'll sure look into that, it's beginning to look like something like that, but it's taking me up to 24 hours for Liquidweb to respond to each question and/or request. At this rate I might be down a week unless I find a new host.

Comment

• WurkAnimal
                      • Aug 2005
                      • 3.5.x

ThePlanet is an exellent host. They responce to emails right away too.

Comment

• effectica
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 3.5.x

ThePlanet is an exellent host. They responce to emails right away too.
                        I am sorry for the troubles you are having.
                        For what it is worth, I agree with Nashtax. I am a total noob when it comes to dedicated servers, and the guys at ThePlanet always helped me fast.

Comment

• gothic
                          • Apr 2004

ThePlanet has most certainly proved helpful here too. Very prompt assistance.

Comment

• NathanLedet
                            • Nov 2005
                            • 3.6.x

well you fellas at vbPortal sure do have your work cut out for you. I wish you the absolute best of luck and I wish there was more I could do to be of help. I guess all I can say is good luck, and I will continue to remain a loyal customer. vbPortal has never given me any problems and I doubt this great program ever will. I will continue to follow along in this thread and keep up to date with what's going on. I know you can solve the problem. Good luck

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                              Former vBulletin Developer
                              • Dec 2000

I suggest you simply clear your entire public directory and database and start from known good backups before this started happening.

Your server has been compromised and you dont know to what extent they've installed backdoors etc, so its probably easier to accept the data loss and merge things back manually or the known good backup.

Its a hard thing to accept but you have no guarantee to whats on your system, there was also a post to the security list about the exploit this morning, so unfortunately the script kiddies now know how to exploit it.
                              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• jw00dy
                                • Dec 2004
                                • 3.6.x

do you mind posting a link to the article on this exploit. I would like to see what exactly this entails. You can PM me if you don't want to spread the info (which is probably a good idea --> to not spread the info that is).
                                Just another squirrel trying to get a nut

allthingsmoto.com, bodynspirit.net, & payinitoff.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...