Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • filburt1
    • Feb 2002

Windows Server 2003

I want to run Windows Server 2003 on a computer at home (not my desktop). All I care about at this point:
    • Domain controller
    • IIS
    • File Shares
    • WINS server
    • Whatever service does automated, interventionless backups of all connected systems

...plus third party services like MySQL and the far-superior PostgreSQL.

In the future, I may want to do Windows Media Services, assuming I ever find out if I can stream my ripped-from-DVDs DivX videos rather than re-encoding them all to WMV.

So:
    • What edition of Windows Server 2003 do I want? Web edition is out because it can't run a domain controller, making it completely useless to me. Standard edition seems right. Is the version of WS2003 that comes with Small Business Server 2003 sufficient? It seems suspicious that I can get SBS2003 for half the price of WS2003 Standard, even though it includes extras like Exchange Server.
    • What licensing model do I need? Do I need to buy it with 5 CALs included, or do I not need CALs at all? About five computers would connect. They do connect simultaneously, depending on your interpretation: they may all be using IIS, file shares, etc., but only one at a time would ever use RDP. That is, no two computers will be using RDP simultaneously--I'd only use it for administration anyway.
    • How much should I expect to pay? $500 for WS2003 Standard with 5 CALs seems common. I am eligible for academic discounts...I called my campus bookstore though and they don't sell WS2003, which isn't surprising given its obscurity for students.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users
  • SaN-DeeP
    • Dec 2003
    • 1.1.x

What edition of Windows Server 2003 do I want
    Standard SP1 will work best for you.
    Check this page for more details:

Compare windows 2003 editions

Do I need to buy it with 5 CALs included
    Yes, if additional computers need to be connected.

How much should I expect to pay?
    depends on your local country (microsoft windows pricing differes)

Windows Server 2003 Question
    Windows Server 2003 limitations
    windows server 2003
    TechArena - TechArena Community - Technology News - Tools Download - Tech Video - Gamer Guide - Hardware Review

Comment

• Cromulent
      • Oct 2005
      • 3.8.x

In the future, I may want to do Windows Media Services
      If I remember correctly this is only available in the Enterprise edition.

Comment

• Arsenik
        • Nov 2001

Originally posted by filburt1
        ...In the future, I may want to do Windows Media Services...
        Originally posted by Cromulent
        If I remember correctly this is only available in the Enterprise edition.
        It looks like only the Web Edition does not.

www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/features/comparefeatures.mspx#Windows%20Media%20Services
        Last edited by Arsenik; Sat 22 Jul '06, 6:26pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...