• Show
Clear All
  • Creepshow
    • May 2005
    • 3.5.x

Is My Favicon Showing Up?

Hi everyone,

Could you all do me a little favour?

Go to www.horrormoviemaniacs.com with INTERNET EXPLORER, and tell me if a favicon shows up in your address bar with a little red skull picture?

Also is it working in Firefox too?

If a few people could do this and tell me their results it would be great. This would really help me out, thanks so much to those who can assist.
    "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!
  • mentalrz
    • Sep 2004
    • 1.1.x

works on firefox.

Comment

• Dean C
      • Mar 2002
      • 3.5.x

Not in IE...
      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Creepshow
        • May 2005
        • 3.5.x

Thanks guys, any ideas why it won't work in IE? I'm sure I've done everything correctly.
        "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• Arsenik
          • Nov 2001

favicons only shows on IE when a person has added the site to their favorites. firefox > ie

Comment

• Creepshow
            • May 2005
            • 3.5.x

Some sites I visit in IE that aren't in my favourites show the fav icons

Comment

• FLMom
              • Jan 2006
              • 3.7.x

Didn't show for me either and I am also using IE

Comment

• conqsoft
                • Jul 2003
                • 3.6.x

Shows fine on my IE7 Beta 3 as soon as I visit the site.
                vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

• Omri.L
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 3.5.x

Yup! works just fine in Avant (which is kinda IE...)

Comment

• Creepshow
                    • May 2005
                    • 3.5.x

Thanks for the help everyone.

Hmmm, it seems to be erratic, working under some circumstances but not others. Anyone know why?

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                      • Nov 2001
                      • 3.8.x

Shows fine for me, IE7 Beta 3
                      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• kevinmanphp
                        • Jul 2005

Favicons are a wierd breed of images. It is COMPLETELY NORMAL for them to be irratic as browsers handle them in odd ways. If you notice... Firefox and IE never actually download and "install" (or save rather) the Favicon for use in the browser the first time you visit the page. It requests the file, but does not save it. Why? I have no clue. Only when you leave the page and come back does it save the favicon.

So that's it??? Nope.. Depending on which browser you use... sometimes you may still need to close your entire browser down again and surf to your site w/ favicon to get it working. So that's it??? Nope. Sometimes it takes upwards of an hour for the favicon to appear in your browser.

I once had to have all this explained to me before and you can see this happen on every favicon you develop and put up for use. No matter which browser, computer, etc... those favi's just don't want to be instantaneous for anyone.

Comment

• Creepshow
                          • May 2005
                          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by kevinmanphp
                          Favicons are a wierd breed of images. It is COMPLETELY NORMAL for them to be irratic as browsers handle them in odd ways. If you notice... Firefox and IE never actually download and "install" (or save rather) the Favicon for use in the browser the first time you visit the page. It requests the file, but does not save it. Why? I have no clue. Only when you leave the page and come back does it save the favicon.

So that's it??? Nope.. Depending on which browser you use... sometimes you may still need to close your entire browser down again and surf to your site w/ favicon to get it working. So that's it??? Nope. Sometimes it takes upwards of an hour for the favicon to appear in your browser.

I once had to have all this explained to me before and you can see this happen on every favicon you develop and put up for use. No matter which browser, computer, etc... those favi's just don't want to be instantaneous for anyone.
                          Thanks a lot for that post, at least I know now its normal behaviour.

And thanks everyone who helped.

Comment

• Cole2026
                            • Apr 2004
                            • 3.6.x

Working fine here on Firefox 2.0 beta 1.

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
                              • Nov 2004
                              • 3.8.x

I tried it in IE6 (actually using NetCaptor which is a tabbed shell around IE) and it didn't show. Refresh or hard refresh didn't make it show.

Went to a second instance of my browser running, opened the site in a new tab and it did show. So yes, it is not really predictable if it is showing or not.
                              Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                              Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...