X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • akiy
    • Apr 2000

Good PHP/MySQL "Links" System?

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a good links management system for my website and have come across the following:

vbPortal: http://www.phpportals.com/vbportal/

phpLinks: http://phplinks.sourceforge.net/

MyThreads: http://mythreads.sourceforge.net/real.php3

I know that vbPortal is a much more full-featured system than the other two and I'm very seriously thinking about just using it (and its WebLinks add-on), but I wanted to get other people's opinions on this and other pieces of software...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    AikiWeb Aikido Information
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

You can check out LinkType. It is by James Ussher-Smith, who is a member here and was originally written for a Link Manager in the SitePoint community.

He plans on releasing it to the public soon at www.linktype.com. You could check it out.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• klisis
      • May 2000

it's php/mysql links script. The script itself is ok but support is terrible. ( I bought it! )

Comment

• jojo85
        • Jan 2001

ok,i use http://inlink.intechnic.com/

He is very nice

Comment

• kicks
          • Oct 2000

All I can say is that on Monday the latest version of vBPortal should be out and you can test it without having to purchase any software

But you will have the option of replacing the included weblinks for an indexu hack if you so choose

Comment

• shri
            • Apr 2000
            • 3.6.x

I'm souping up indexu on http://www.hkindians.com/forum/links/

Comment

• akiy
              • Apr 2000

Thanks for everyone's replies so far! I appreciate them all.

Wayne, do you know when JamesUS will have LinkType available or what features it will have? I would, of course, love to support one of the vB "regulars" if I could.

I'm leaning more towards a "free" solution if possible, so I'm kind of trying to stay away from indexu. One feature that would be great to have would be the ability for visitors to my site to rate sites as well.

With that in mind, I'm thinking about phpLinks or vbPortal.

Does anyone here have experience with either or both?

Comment

• mrlister
                • Nov 2000

are there any good crawling link systems like google.com?
                - MrLister

Comment

• wajones
                  • Jul 2000

vbPortal itself is not a links program, I just integrated 2 different links programs to work with it, both php/mysql. IndexU is a commercial product that I have hacked up a little and the other is Weblinks which is free, it ships with phpNuke and I hacked it for use with vbPortal, it's not done but works. I like indexu because it's easy to hack. The support is lacking, but more and more people here at vB are starting to buy it and I'll be starting a hackers forum at phpportals for it shortly.
                  BTW, I do have an affiliate banner on my site, but no interrest in the company. So what I'm trying to say is that you don't get indexu with vbPortal.

Comment

• snyx
                    • Aug 2000
                    • 3.5.x

Links SQL - http://gossamer-threads.com/
                    MSN: [email protected] | MAIL: [email protected] | FOLIO: mholman.com

Comment

• akiy
                      • Apr 2000

More good information -- thanks!

William -- thanks for the information on vbportal. I'm very much thinking of basing one of my new sites on your package as it looks very full-featured. I have heard a lot of good things about it. I haven't taken a look at weblinks very much outside of what I saw on your website and it looks pretty good.

I do have to admit that indexu does look pretty snazzy. I may try evaluating that piece of software a little bit more carefully and may end up coughing up the $99 for it...

As far as Links SQL by Gossamer Threads goes, $450 is a bit too far out of my price range for now, but thanks for the pointer, snyx!

Anyone else have experience in these matters?

Comment

• jrwap
                        • Jul 2000

PHPLinks

Business-PHP.com provides expert consulting services and solutions for all PHP and server-side needs.

phpLinks is a Free and Open Source PHP script. phpLinks allows you to run a very powerful link farm or search engine simulation. See phpLinks running live @ phpLinks.org/phplinks

phpLinks is distributed under the GNU General Public License.

See copying for further information.

full search capabilities
                        recursive multilevel site categorization
                        full referrer tracking
                        site reviews
                        site ratings
                        link validation
                        related categories
                        category searching
                        search term tracking

PHP 4.x is required. phpLinks uses sessions.
                        MySQL 3.23 or greater is required.
                        Web Server that parses PHP code, we recommend Apache.

-JRW
                        LostDiscussion.com - Fan base community for ABC's Lost | Club-tC.com - Scion tC Enthusiast Site | PcTechTalk.com - What's your issue? | eInvesting.com - Play the Market, Learn Investing, WIN!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by akiy
                          Wayne, do you know when JamesUS will have LinkType available or what features it will have? I would, of course, love to support one of the vB "regulars" if I could.
                          You will have to contact him. HIs account name here is JamesUS. I have been playing around with a beta version of the software.

He started building it because we got a complimentary version of Hyperseek ($850) and it turned out to be very complicated to setup and implement. A powerful system but not very user friendly. It also uses PERL and we are trying to work on a standardized PHP/MySQL platform.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• akiy
                            • Apr 2000

Hi Wayne,

Originally posted by wluke
                            http://sitepointforums.com/directory
                            It looks pretty nice! Any possible way you can add a few "test" links so I can see how it works?

I sent a private message to James yesterday and am waiting for more information on LinkType.

He started building it because we got a complimentary version of Hyperseek ($850) and it turned out to be very complicated to setup and implement. A powerful system but not very user friendly. It also uses PERL and we are trying to work on a standardized PHP/MySQL platform.
                            I love using perl for certain things, but I, too, very much prefer using php and mysql for website stuff...

While I've been waiting, I've taken a look at Indexu a bit more carefully and it does look like quite a nice package. I've been talking to the folks at phplinks about the way they do things (compose their HTML) and their code looks to be kind of gross. I guess I've gotten used to the nice template system they have for vbulletin, huh? But, hey -- phplinks is free...

Thanks for the information so far, folks! Any more information or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...